Honored Contributor

Re: Man dies after starting Krispy Kreme Challenge in Raleigh

I could be wrong, but I don't think that anybody in this thread STILL thinks that HE ate the doughnuts.  Smiley Happy

I should get out of here.  Now, I want doughnuts.  HA!  One of my favorite food groups, but I stay away from them 99% of the time.  I could never eat a dozen but I've been known to eat 3 of them in a sitting in the past.  ugh

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think that anybody in this thread STILL thinks that HE ate the doughnuts.  Smiley Happy

I should get out of here.  Now, I want doughnuts.  HA!  One of my favorite food groups, but I stay away from them 99% of the time.  I could never eat a dozen but I've been known to eat 3 of them in a sitting in the past.  ugh

Post #25 still thought he ate the doughnuts.  It was posted what seems like a million times and people still kept following with comments about the doughnuts.  LOL  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oops, I'm sorry LD!    I find that some posts, especially those that are in some screamingly ginormous font or bright, eyeball-killing, colors are ones that I have to scan quickly before I get a headache.    

Perhaps, then, I spoke out of turn having not actually read every post.  Smiley Happy

Oops, oh I see.  it was the 'joke'.   Missed that the first time around.  

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

My beef is the gluttony angle of this sort of thing.  I think that's not only embarrassing, but a shame because of the damage caused.   One can (and should!) participate, give of themselves, race, and whatever else without gluttony having to be a part of it.

Eh, it's just supposed to fun, and it doesn't bother me. It started as a challenge among a bunch of undergrads at NC State. Everyone gets a t-shirt and a box of doughnuts, and they've raised a bunch of money for NC Children's Hospital. I'd probably do it if there were one near me (I love KK)!

Do you have to eat the doughnuts?

No. You can register as a Casual Runner rather than a Challenger and eat a few doughnuts or no doughnuts at all. You can also race back to the Belltower with the box of doughnuts. However, to be considered for awards you must be registered as a Challenger, eat all twelve doughnuts, and complete the race in under one hour.

Respected Contributor

There were actually only 5 people who had the impression he ate the donuts.

The rest of us knew he did NOT eat the donuts.

I am now going to reward myself with a Krispy Creme and a cup of tea while I watch Judge Judy.

Honored Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@hopi wrote:

It is a miracle  that more people don't die during regular competitions in general.

even running marathons, - many people challenge their bodies for unnecessary reasons.

Goodness knows I have done so stupid things unintentionally and it's a blessing when you look back thanks God for not letting me hurt myself.

I take issue with the inclusion of "running marathons". Having ran these 26.2 mile races, they were for me, "unnecessary reasons". Every marathon runner has their own reason for challenging their body and mind by running and completing these long runs. To each runner they see/feel it as necessary to/for themselves.

While I do agree that many people do some strange things, for what I too, see as strange reasons. Most that run a marathon are way above "excellent" when it comes to their body's physical fitness. If they have a heart attack during their run, it would be very unusual.

Now the eating contests? Not something I would ever try.

hckynut(john)

There are more studies being done these days regarding how the heart is affected by what they deem as "extreme" exercising or sports, including marathons. I will be interested in seeing what they find out. So far, they have said that they've seen quite alot of scar tissue on the septum in the heart. They've also found quite alot of coronary artery calcification too, which is surprising. The man going to swim the pacific will be providing valuable heart information for a study. Here is  the article, pretty interesting:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/02/01/464457884/can-extreme-exercise-hurt-your-heart-s...

Since they are now saying that heart disease is caused by inflammation maybe the stress of certain types of exercize causes inflammation? I don't know? 

Chronic imflammation though, not just inflmmation in general (acute) and not in all cases of heart disease. I don't think exercise causes chronic inflammation and, in fact, exercise in general helps to minimize inflammation. It  reduces the number of C-reactive proteins in the body, which are biological markers associated with the level of inflammation in the body.

Honored Contributor

gmkb wrote:

There were actually only 5 people who had the impression he ate the donuts.

The rest of us knew he did NOT eat the donuts.

I am now going to reward myself with a Krispy Creme and a cup of tea while I watch Judge Judy.

I'm officially jealous!    Please take one bite for chicky.  Smiley Happy  I am having my tea, though (decaf of course).  

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

It's very sad that he died like that.  He probably had no idea that something was brewing.    

why can't they just have some at the end and people can each (participants and spectators) have one.  

That is the way most road races are set up. Fluids to drink before and along the race route, no food by organizers anyways. Depending on the run, something to eat and drink after.

Never been in a run that did not have fruits after the race, if sponsored. Been in Chili runs/bagels/yes doughnuts etc. I suspect this person that died, had an underlying cardiovascular problem, maybe undetected.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Regardless of anything expressed previously on this thread, there is one absolute that we should keep in mind:

Previous to or during physical activity such as described, the ingestion of a meal, its equivalent or food items similar or increasing in volume those 12 donuts will cause the cessation of the digestive process, thereby causing pain or a great deal of pain.

This is simply not the right thing to do for any participants who did stop for the donuts.

(Participation in a race does carry risk.  It is indeed sad that this gentleman lost his life during the beginning of the charity event.)

Rebecca,

Well said my friend,

JOhn

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

My beef is the gluttony angle of this sort of thing.  I think that's not only embarrassing, but a shame because of the damage caused.   One can (and should!) participate, give of themselves, race, and whatever else without gluttony having to be a part of it.

Eh, it's just supposed to fun, and it doesn't bother me. It started as a challenge among a bunch of undergrads at NC State. Everyone gets a t-shirt and a box of doughnuts, and they've raised a bunch of money for NC Children's Hospital. I'd probably do it if there were one near me (I love KK)!

Do you have to eat the doughnuts?

No. You can register as a Casual Runner rather than a Challenger and eat a few doughnuts or no doughnuts at all. You can also race back to the Belltower with the box of doughnuts. However, to be considered for awards you must be registered as a Challenger, eat all twelve doughnuts, and complete the race in under one hour.

Think I might enjoy the Chocolate run better or the Twinkie run.  Then again there is always the Beer Run coming up for St Patricks day

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.