Honored Contributor

Man dies after starting Krispy Kreme Challenge in Raleigh

[ Edited ]

RALEIGH, N.C. — A man has died after starting a Raleigh race in which contestants are supposed to also eat a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts midway through the competition.

Organizers of the annual Krispy Kreme Challenge said in a news release that a 58-year-old man dropped out of the race during the first mile Saturday morning because of chest pains. He was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

The unidentified runner left the race before reaching the Krispy Kreme location at which some competitors eat a dozen doughnuts before completing the final 2½ miles of the 5-mile course.

The race is organized by students at North Carolina State University and benefits the North Carolina Children's Hospital. It's in its 12th year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/man-dies-after-starting-krispy-kreme-challenge-in-raleigh/ar-BBpff5...

Honored Contributor

Re: Man dies after starting Krispy Kreme Challenge in Raleigh

Sad but people die from heart attacks every day. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

What an idiot!

RALEIGH, N.C. — A man has died after starting a Raleigh race in which contestants are supposed to also eat a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts midway through the competition.

Organizers of the annual Krispy Kreme Challenge said in a news release that a 58-year-old man dropped out of the race during the first mile Saturday morning because of chest pains. He was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

The unidentified runner left the race before reaching the Krispy Kreme location at which some competitors eat a dozen doughnuts before completing the final 2½ miles of the 5-mile course.

The race is organized by students at North Carolina State University and benefits the North Carolina Children's Hospital. It's in its 12th year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/man-dies-after-starting-krispy-kreme-challenge-in-raleigh/ar-BBpff5...

I think your comment is totally inappropriate

Respected Contributor

Why do you say he was an idiot???   He started running and before even doing a mile, dropped out due to chest pains.  Did you read the article?

Esteemed Contributor

It is a miracle  that more people don't die during these overeating competitions and regular competitions in general.

Hot dog eating, super hot pepper challenges, mega sundaes, chugging races and even running marathons, frozen water swims, super steep and fast park rides, bungie jumping  - many people challenge their bodies for unnecessary reasons.  Goodness knows I have done so stupid things unintentionally and it's a blessing when you look back thanks God for not letting me hurt myself.

Honored Contributor

Why would anyone run while consuming 12 heart clogging donuts?  Seems counter productive....

Honored Contributor

This guy never made it so far as to eat the doughnuts, and the article said SOME people stop to do so, not a requirement for participating.

So someone calling some guy, who (later) died of a heart attack during the first mile of a charity run is more of an i****, I'd say.

Trusted Contributor

Did you even read the article?  He never made it to the Krispie Kreme station.  He ran a mile and felt ill.  It could happen to any of us. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like he had not actually eaten any donuts.  

People die during races all the time.  Very sad.

Honored Contributor

I'm at a loss as to what to think about someone who calls another person an idiot for having a heart attack.