Honored Contributor

Re: Man dies after starting Krispy Kreme Challenge in Raleigh

It's very sad that he died like that.  He probably had no idea that something was brewing.    

As for the challenge itself (and yes, I got that he didn't make it to the doughnuts) - only in this country would a challenge have to include some sort of gluttony.  I wonder why they don't just do the race.

If it's sponsored by this doughnut company then why can't they just have some at the end and people can each (participants and spectators) have one.  If the point is to advertise their product that would suffice perfectly without having to have people be gluttonous and cause additional health risks.   It's nauseating to think of people trying to run a race, slam down a dozen doughnuts IN THE MIDDLE, and go on to finish running as fast as they can.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

It's very sad that he died like that.  He probably had no idea that something was brewing.    

As for the challenge itself (and yes, I got that he didn't make it to the doughnuts) - only in this country would a challenge have to include some sort of gluttony.  I wonder why they don't just do the race.

If it's sponsored by this doughnut company then why can't they just have some at the end and people can each (participants and spectators) have one.  If the point is to advertise their product that would suffice perfectly without having to have people be gluttonous and cause additional health risks.   It's nauseating to think of people trying to run a race, slam down a dozen doughnuts IN THE MIDDLE, and go on to finish running as fast as they can.  

These type of races are considered "fun runs" not a competition.  There are any number of them around the country, that because you are not into running and a death has not occurred, you have not heard about.  One of my favorite is the color runs.  These type of runs make a lot of money for many charities.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Feel badly that that man lost his life while trying to do a good deed.  

I agree with Chickenbutt, who suggested that perhaps the advertiser should just make donuts available to people after the race is over.  (I realize he had not arrived at the donut stop as yet.)

My husband likes those eating shows where they go to various restaurants and try the specialities, which are usually artery clogging foods.  I look at those very overweight men stuffing that food in and wonder when the heart attack is going to happen.  I think one is Diners and Dives.

Esteemed Contributor

He was in a race to help out a charity - not especially to eat donuts.  It was just his time. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

He did NOT eat any donuts!!

I know, you know and it's clearly stated in the article.  But those sorry excuses who want to throw rocks at man who was simply out there raising money for charity will ignore the facts. 

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

My husband's reply when I told him what happened was, " If you eat a dozen doughnuts, you can gave a heart attack without having to run at all!"

He didn't eat any doughnuts.

If you make an assumption based off a headline and don't read the article, you can pass on a lot of misinformation.

Just the same, it was a clever comment on the part of Vivian's husband.  Props to him for that.

It wasn't in the least bit clever. People can eat like that and would never have a heart attack either. He was making a comment based on misinformation. Big difference...big! Geez.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Sad but people die from heart attacks every day. 

And thankfully, many of us live.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Regardless of anything expressed previously on this thread, there is one absolute that we should keep in mind:

Previous to or during physical activity such as described, the ingestion of a meal, its equivalent or food items similar or increasing in volume those 12 donuts will cause the cessation of the digestive process, thereby causing pain or a great deal of pain.

This is simply not the right thing to do for any participants who did stop for the donuts.

(Participation in a race does carry risk.  It is indeed sad that this gentleman lost his life during the beginning of the charity event.)

Honored Contributor

I wish posters would read the article and understand that the man did NOT eat the donuts and still don't know why the OP switched from calling him an idiot to saying his wasn the sharpest knife??? He isn't the sharpest knife because he wanted to run for charity and died of a heartattack?? Please explain.

A heart attack can occur at any time- you never know when you may have one. This man did NOTHING wrong but try to raise money for a charity. even if he had eaten the donuts -WHICH HE DID NOT-it still would not necessarily have caused a heart attack. From a biological standpoint, I can't even understand how eating donuts while running would have caused a heartattack- it would more likely be caused simply by the exertion from running, especially if the man wasn't used to exercising regularly.

Honored Contributor

That's sad that it happened during the event but it was going to happen no matter where he was. I know eating donuts was optional & he did not eat any donuts. How does Krispy Kreme expect anyone to eat even one donut if they are running a race for a Charity.