Trusted Contributor

Re: Mall/JCPenney follow up

[ Edited ]

@circles wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

That's what happens when minimum wage went up to $10.00 - $15.00 an hour. The stores can't afford to pay people to stand around and do nothing but yap and fold shirts, so I'm sure they either let them go or have them work when the store is busier. I've noticed that it's like a ghost town in almost all department stores. When you want help you can't find it, when you don't want help you have to chase them off with a stick.

I haven't Mall shopped in several years...even back then it was difficult to find a sales person to help you...and that was way before minimum wage went up...it was annoying as heck to search out an assistant or to have to walk way back to the cashier or front counter to have someone called then have to walk back to where you were...and many times no one showed up anyway....thats when i started online shopping exclusively..

I don't feel sorry for stores that are closing...its their own fault..i feel sorry for the help...though its part of their fault for being lazy..and unhelpful...

It really makes me sad, as a former JCP sales associate who lost my job due to my store closing, to be labeled as "lazy and unhelpful" and have part of the blame for that store closing laid on my "lazy, unhelpful" shoulders. I assure you, our store did not close because we were a "lazy, unhelpful" sales team. The dynamics of a retail store succeeding or failing is far more complicated than that. 

There were many days, as our store struggled to succeed, that I ran an entire department alone for a full eight hour shift. I was responsible for being at the register ringing up customer's purchases, taking online orders for merchandise not in stock, retrieving customer's online orders that came in,  answering the phones and servicing the phone customer's needs, keeping the counters free of returned items and other clothing, reticketing merchandise, helping customers on the sales floor, cleaning out the fitting rooms, sorting those clothes onto racks and then putting them back on the sales floor, straightening, folding  and organizing tables and racks,  picking up clothes thrown on the floor and on top of racks and putting out new merchandise...by myself. 

Did every one of those chores get accomplished during the course of the day? Of course not. Most days were spent at the register helping the customers in line and answering the phones. Did I feel bad when the fitting rooms were full of clothes because I spent the last four hours at the register and couldn't get back there? Of course. Did I feel bad when the register was finally free from customers and I literally ran to the fitting room,  and had to pass by clothes tossed on the floor and thrown over the racks and pass by tables in disarray? Of course. No time to do more than scoop up the fitting room clothes, toss them in the cart and run back to the customers who were now in line waiting to check out. Did I feel bad when, at the same time, I had customers on hold on both phones, customers on the floor asking for help and six customers in line waiting to check out, while I was alone at the register on the computer trying to find a piece of merchandise online for the customer in front of me? Of course. 

Did I ever, for one moment, feel "lazy and unhelpful"? Never! Was I thankful that I didn't have my hours cut and was the one they trusted to come in to work alone every day and make the most of a bad situation? You betcha! 

I came to work every day and counted my blessings, right up until the last day. We were a great team and we walked out on the last day with our heads held high, knowing we gave it our best. 

This kind of bad situation in stores (poor staffing, sales floor in disarray, etc.) are the result of decisions made at the corporate level. Trust me, no retail store manager would choose to run a store like that. Just like at home, you are given a budget and you have to make it work with the resources you have been given. To put the blame for the failure of a store and it's closing on the shoulders of the store associates who do not make those decisions boggles my mind. Those who label retail workers as "lazy and unhelpful" should walk a mile in retail shoes. I promise you, the view is different from the other side of the counter. 

Retail workers don't get much respect and stereotypes abound. Did I ever work with "lazy, unhelpful" people? Yes, I did. I'm sure most of you have, as well. People who are lazy by nature will be lazy, whether they are retail workers, office staff, UPS drivers or government workers. 

Sorry for for the long winded rant but I just hate being stereotyped. Kindness and understanding will take a person a long way. I know, it's part of what made me so successful in my job working with the public. 

Honored Contributor

Put the blame where it belongs, on the lazy, inconsiderate, disgusting customers who are responsible for leaving the fitting rooms full of discarded cloths, make a mess of the racks and counters, put the shirts back on wrong racks in the wrong sizes, leave clothing they dropped where it landed on the floor, allow their children to play in the racks...

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

@Tinkrbll44:

There was no one to ASK for help.  Men's shirts in the BACK of the store, checkout in the FRONT of the store. One person at the checkout with a very long line.  So nice of you to understand.

@mac116

Well, your store must be a LOT different than all the JCP stores in my area.   Check outs are positioned near the doors, as well as in the middle of the store.  

In addition to complaining here, I hope you complained on the JCP website.   It certainly would be more helpful.   

Honored Contributor

My mother worked in a department store.  I put everything I try on in the fitting room back on the hanger, zipped, buttoned, tied, etc. and put it back on the rack I got it from, unless the sales person makes me give it back to her on the way out.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

It seems to me that wherever I shop, its like that. Just a big mess. Use to, it was TJ Maxx that was unorganized. Now, its everywhere. Not sure what is going on, but it does make it hard to find stuff.

JC Penney's use to be where I would always buy kids clothes for neiecs and nephews. Now, there seems to be just as much Disney toys as clothing. And what clothing they do have for kids doesn't appeal to me. Now, ours is a smaller store, that may be why.

Esteemed Contributor
One big reason I Internet shop. Especially for clothes. I stick to vanity because I know my size. The pictures are always exactly like the item. I can go through ten pages of tops in five minutes, order what I want with no hassles looking in department stores. Plus being disabled if makes it easy.
Trusted Contributor
I do not leave clothes in the dressing room, I bring them out and place them back. Occasionally they have a go back rack near the exit of the dressing room.

I have experienced great service as well as bad service. I would not label all associates as lazy. Some of it is poor training.

Where are they paying people $15 an hour in retail?

I do not shop large BM stores....if I do it would be Belk but they closed after Christmas😪 Does TJ Maxx and Marshalls count as a BM store? That is where I usually shop and Steinmart.

Steinmart has a lady that has worked there for years and she knows where everything is and is above and beyond courteous and knowledgeable.
Respected Contributor

I love my local JCP!  I went shopping on Sunday and I'm very pleased with the deals I got.

I live in a small town and I'm not much of a shopper (unless it's for a piece of jewelry!)  I clothes shop at Penney's.   This past weekend I found cotton turtlenecks on sale for $5.59 and $7.79 ea.  I love these for layering during cold PA winters, especially when I'm going to spend time outside with my horse.  So I bought a bunch in different colors for myself and my mom.  Also in the same fabric, I found crew necks, bought some of those too.  I like crew necks because they're comfortable but you can dress them up a little with pretty necklaces. These tops are long and comfy but not baggy.  Then got 2 fleece jackets for $17.95 each.  So, assorted tops and 2 fleece jackets = $107, with discount for using JCP cc.  Wore one of the T-necks yesterday and the inside is so soft, almost like having a thin fleece lining.  My sister stole one from me after seeing mine.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

My mother worked in a department store.  I put everything I try on in the fitting room back on the hanger, zipped, buttoned, tied, etc. and put it back on the rack I got it from, unless the sales person makes me give it back to her on the way out.

While my mother didn't work in a department store, she taught me manners, empathy, and consideration for others so I also return the clothing I'm not buying on the hanger, buttoned, zipped... Store employees aren't personal maids and to behave as if they were is disrespectful. 

Respected Contributor

I only shop online. Stores are a hassle. Not enjoyable at all.