Honored Contributor

Re: Mail Carrier Christmas Gift?

I have been purchasing my mail carrier a gift card from American Express for years now. This year it will be in the denomination of $50.00 like last year. He does a great job of collecting a package if it is a pre-paid return and I appreciate it. He has kids and truthfully, money doesn't go all that far these days......$20 isn't what it used to be.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't give my mail carrier a gift, that was something from back in my grandmother's day.  They make a good salary and mail carriers are NOT service workers, so a Christmas gift or check is not necessary.   Not to say that you can't, I just don't know why anyone would.

Because he goes way out of what he has to do to see that we get our mail, that is stopped when we are out of town, and to bring things to the door for us.

I wish I could legally give him more than $20 or $25.  He is the best.  Who else does things for me every day of the week?  If that's not a service what is?  I like to thank people who do more than than have to do! 

He isn't personally stopping your mail. That is done in a central location (sorting) so your mail is never even put in his carrier when he is delivering. 

If your mailbox is at your door (mine is), they have to bring the package to your door.  If it's at the street and he brings the packages to your door, then yeas, he is going out of his way. 

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

For twenty years now whatever baked goods I am preparing for my office building gift tin treats my mailman gets his own selection that day too.   He starts up here at the top of the building on my floor and works his way down right before lunch, and told me most years none is left before he gets back to his truck.  He such a good man.  I have never given money to a Federal Employee and my Dad was a mailman.

@beckyb1012My husband loved to get baked goods when he was a carrier. And living in a small town, we knew everyone and wasn't afraid to eat the food.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I really liked my mailman, I'd make sure I didn't give them things that violate their known terms of employment.  A customer's claimed lack of knowledge of those terms does not matter since the onus falls on the employee. 

If it were me, I would appreciate my customers giving me things that would not put me in a compromised position should I accept them.

Honored Contributor

If I were so inclined to tip the mail carrier, I couldn't.  We never have the same carrier.  I also think that some of them are contracted out because often times the ones delivering our mail aren't in a uniform of any kind. 

There are a lot of people who work in poor conditions and don't get paid a lot of money.  They are also doing a service for us.  No one ever thinks to tip them.  I couldn't even begin to tip everyone who I would think deserves to be tipped.  

It's up to each person to decide who they want to tip, who they don't want to tip and how much.  Sometimes it's nice for people just to be thought of and recognized, even though they are doing the job they are paid to do.  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@twins mom wrote:
I am still debating about trash and recycling men. They attach cards to the trash containers. I don't know if they are same individuals throughout months. They do have to get out in awful conditions and probably not paid as well as government workers . Would appreciate input.

We tip the trash guys.  On our bill, it gives us a place to add a tip for the driver and his helper.  We tip once a year, $20 each.  We sent our payment in two weeks ago and added the tip on to the payment.

I have to say that of all the services we have here, I have considered tipping the trash guys, but decided against it. 

I am often outside when they pick up or  I'mpulling out of the drive, and have tried to be friendly and wave, or say hi, etc. and I get no response. They throw the trash can out at the edge of the road rather than back in the yard a bit, and throw the lid as far from the can as they are able to.

Our bill for the pickup has tripled in the time we have lived here, so I just pass on the tipping for them. If you can't be pleasant, I can't see my way clear to handing you extra money.

A few years ago, our trash collection bill became added to our water/sewer bill even though the service isn't provided by our city like our water/sewer is. There would really be no way to add a tip to the bill and I have no idea if the trash collectors are the same from week to week.  They usually pick up when I"m not home.    

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I don't gift my mail lady.  She takes the bags from the q and crumbles them and stuffs them in the mail box.  Sometimes the mailbox is jammed full that I have to fight to get it out.  I also get other people's mail.  I have no idea if anyone gets my mail.  

Sounds like you need a bigger mail box.

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

The law of the PO says they cannot accept gifts over $20. if I am not mistaken.

My guy lugs 22 lbs of birdseed a week ,plus many other pkgs for me , so I  give him $25 every yr.

I'm confused.  If you know they cannot accpt gifts over $20, why do you give him $25?

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@twins mom wrote:
I am still debating about trash and recycling men. They attach cards to the trash containers. I don't know if they are same individuals throughout months. They do have to get out in awful conditions and probably not paid as well as government workers . Would appreciate input.

We tip the trash guys.  On our bill, it gives us a place to add a tip for the driver and his helper.  We tip once a year, $20 each.  We sent our payment in two weeks ago and added the tip on to the payment.

I have to say that of all the services we have here, I have considered tipping the trash guys, but decided against it. 

I am often outside when they pick up or  I'mpulling out of the drive, and have tried to be friendly and wave, or say hi, etc. and I get no response. They throw the trash can out at the edge of the road rather than back in the yard a bit, and throw the lid as far from the can as they are able to.

Our bill for the pickup has tripled in the time we have lived here, so I just pass on the tipping for them. If you can't be pleasant, I can't see my way clear to handing you extra money.

A few years ago, our trash collection bill became added to our water/sewer bill even though the service isn't provided by our city like our water/sewer is. There would really be no way to add a tip to the bill and I have no idea if the trash collectors are the same from week to week.  They usually pick up when I"m not home.    

Our trash guys don't even have to leave the truck. They push a button, arm comes out and lifts the can. Why would I tip a guy who does nothing but push a button.