Honored Contributor

Re: Mail Carrier Christmas Gift?

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

I was wondering how much to give the mailman? Last year, I gave him $10.00. Do those of you that give them something increase it periodically or is that a good amount?

TIA, 

Starr

@Starpolisher They are not allowed to take cash. Better to get a gift card.

Um, you might want to double check that.

According to Nananana59, in post #11, quote,

"However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards, that can be exchanged for cash, must NEVER be accepted in ANY amount."

@Plaid Pants2 I'm talking about a gift card like Subway or Pizza Hut.

Honored Contributor

They don't deliver to the houses here........We have to go to a central area in the subdivision where all the mailboxes are located.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have been giving the mailman and the paper delivery person each a $30 visa gift card. 

Honored Contributor

My mail carrier should be gifting me.   She's doing her job and not particularly well either.   Why should we give gifts to public servants? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

How about tipping your newspaper carrier?  They don't make much money.  I delivered papers about 38 years ago and I would take my 2 young sons  (year old and 6 years old)with me in the car if my husband was out of town.  Had to pay my own gas.  It was the toughest job I've ever had and I never got any Christmas tips.  I only did it for 3 months, but that was enough.  This was in Southern California.

Honored Contributor

I tip the newspaper carrier.  They get up so early in the morning .....good for them for doing this job.  

As for the mail carriers...I don't have the same person each day any more as I did in the past.  At the local post office, there are two long time employees that I like a lot, and one has hinted that he'll be retiring soon.  I'd rather tip them, but I don't think that's allowed. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Call me old fashioned, Growing up parents always gave to service people. It was the custom, Believe still is. Delivering in all different types of weather conditions and circumstances often precarious. Simply small action, Demonstrates huge heart. Saddens me reading such harshness from some of the responses. Guess it's the climate Happy Holidays and Healthy New Year.💗
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

I do not give my mail carrier a gift. Here is the USPS policy

"All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Exec­utive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period."

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22349/html/cover_025.htm

I better tell him my gift is for his children....

Oh, yes.  A big fat lie and an employee who breaks the rules of his employement, that is what Christmas is all about...lol  

A Bah Humbug attitude about gifting....that is what Christmas is all about!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My mail carrier should be gifting me.   She's doing her job and not particularly well either.   Why should we give gifts to public servants? 

WE, don't have to, but someone on here seems to want to (OP), and was simply asking about the amount and if it seemed enough for today. 

No one is obligated to give a gift to any service person, regardless of how well paid they are or are not. People do so because they want to, because they like the person, or because they recognize they are getting better than basic service from that person. 

I understand differing opinions on whether or not to gift various people in our lives, but I never do get used to people getting upset because someone wants to give a gift or a tip. It isn't like they are suggesting you must do it too.

What the heck is wrong with someone being nice, and giving to or doing for someone else?

Honored Contributor

@henderson wrote:

How about tipping your newspaper carrier?  They don't make much money.  I delivered papers about 38 years ago and I would take my 2 young sons  (year old and 6 years old)with me in the car if my husband was out of town.  Had to pay my own gas.  It was the toughest job I've ever had and I never got any Christmas tips.  I only did it for 3 months, but that was enough.  This was in Southern California.

This reminds me of when my husband and I were first together. We both had full time jobs, but we also delivered papers (those ad papers that they leave in a bag in your mailbox or on the front door) and we cleaned offices on the side too.

We were never tipped, and you are right, it was our gas for the car, and the pay was pitiful for the size of the route, half of it driving, half of it walking door to door. We were pretty desperate for money, so we worked a lot of different extra jobs. I would have been nice to get a tip or a gift at the holidays (not that we ever expected it, though).