Trusted Contributor

Re: Madame Secretary- season premiere tonight

So glad it is back for a second (or is it the third?) season.

We are going out tonight meeting friends for dinner.  Will have to be sure to check that the DVR is set to record both Madame Secretary and Good Wife. Two of my favorite programs.  Just wish they weren't on Sunday night.  Too often preempted for stupid sports or awards shows.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Esteemed Contributor

I love this show ! Good epi tonight and an interesting story line. looking forward too seeing next week's guest star. I truly respect her and her dedication to this country.
Trusted Contributor

One of my favorite shows also.  The politics, family life, and current worldwide situations are all on point.  Love Tim Daly also.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

The Good Wife making sense??????

Peter spent time in prison for spending tax payers $$$$ on high end call girls when he was an Atty General. 

Now he is an ELECTED Governor.

Makes sense?????

Yes, because things like this actually happen. Marion Barry is an example of this. He was the mayor of Washington, DC when he was convicted of illegal drug possession and spent 6 months in federal prison. He lost the election that happened just after his conviction and was ousted from his position as Mayor. After release, he won an election for city council and by 1995 he was mayor again.

And here in Texas, we managed to election a man who was about to be indicted for securities fraud. And we didn't just elect him to state office, he's the attorney general for Texas, Ken Paxton. He's now under indictment as the state AG. Nothing new for us, as our former governor is ALSO under indictment for abusing his power as governor. But if course he was running for president while under indictment.

That situation is maybe most realistic part of the show.

Respected Contributor

I do love both shows and I watched both last night.  Madame Secretary was good stuff indeed.  However, Good Wife seems to be stuck on a merry-go-round.  It was the same old stuff; boring and predictable.  I'll give it a couple of more episodes but if it continues that way it began, I'll find something better to watch. 

Honored Contributor

Love Madame Secretary!

Tia Leone for Pres!!!!!

In real life!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Peter spent time in prison for spending tax payers $$$$ on high end call girls when he was an Atty General. 

Makes sense?????

Yes, because things like this actually happen. Marion Barry is an example of this. He was the mayor of Washington, DC when he was convicted of illegal drug possession and spent 6 months in federal prison. He lost the election that happened just after his conviction and was ousted from his position as Mayor. After release, he won an election for city council and by 1995 he was mayor again.

And here in Texas, we managed to election a man who was about to be indicted for securities fraud. And we didn't just elect him to state office, he's the attorney general for Texas, Ken Paxton. He's now under indictment as the state AG. Nothing new for us, as our former governor is ALSO under indictment for abusing his power as governor. But if course he was running for president while under indictment.

Similar to our situation in Louisiana. Sen. David Vitter has a call girl scandal in his past, although I don't think there are any allegations of taxpayers money being used. He is now a leading contender for the office of governor. Actually, when The Good Wife first came on the air, I assumed that it was based on Vitter because the story was so similar. His wife is a lawyer, and she "stood by her man." So I don't find that aspect of The Good Wife far fetched at all. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Kati wrote:

Yes, I'm a fan of both shows, too!  Some of Mme Secretary's staff drive me nuts, but that's ok.

I saw Julianna Margulies interviewed recently and she's lightened her hair and it looks like put highlights in it.  Very pretty.  Apparently she's getting a new love interest.  I agree, the show hasn't been the same since Will got killed off, but I've hung with it in hopes it gets better.

I started watching it towards the end of last yearout of some sort of misplaced curiousity. 

While I had been hearing good things about this show for a number of years, I had stayed away because I didn't like the opportunistic premise (Spitzer's wife and Anthony Weiner's wife). I felt as though Hollywood had sort of traded on them for ratings.

While I still think that's the case -- based on the circumstances and the name of the show -- I was pleasantly surprised by the initial direction of the show: a wife gets hammered through her husband's bad acts, and then pulls herself together and makes a name and a career for herself. Works for me. 

Evidently I must have missed a few of last year's final episodes. How did Will die, and how did Carey, now of the Lockhart & Argos law firm, become a main partner in this firm... which, by the way, now looks like a nursing home... what's up with that?

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Makes sense?????

And in New York, former Gov Elliot Spitzer (of call girl fame) and former Congressman Anthony Weiner (of teeny weiner iphone photo fame) are each sniffing around looking for an opportunity to get right back into the political game. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Makes sense?????

Similar to our situation in Louisiana. Sen. David Vitter has a call girl scandal in his past, although I don't think there are any allegations of taxpayers money being used. He is now a leading contender for the office of governor. Actually, when The Good Wife first came on the air, I assumed that it was based on Vitter because the story was so similar. His wife is a lawyer, and she "stood by her man." So I don't find that aspect of The Good Wife far fetched at all. 

That's so interesting because I always thought it was based on Former NY Gov. Elliot Spitzer's pay to play with prostitutes (after a stint as the NY Attorney General in which they were prosecuted vigorously). Mrs. Spitzer stood right by her man... though it turned out later she moved into her own luxe apartment (the Spitzer family has big bucks).

-- bebe Smiley Happy