Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

What's interesting to me is that I don't see a lock symbol, or any of the "this thread is closed for commenting" notation. It looks like an open thread *except* for an "arrow beside it which I imagine is supposed to indicate "moved"?

I wonder if the moderator who closed the thread forgot to do the padlock/no more comments thing, or if this is the shiny new and vastly more crptic way of dealing with closed/moved threads.

The one I'm looking at shows up on my 2nd page (might be different for others, depending on customized settings).  Title:  "I Don't Understand Something and the lock icon is there.  If I open the thread, the "Reply" box is faded out and isn't "clickable."

I get the faded out Reply, but there is no lock icon on page 2 for me, just a sort of right-arrow. And no admin message of any kind. There is another thread on the same page, the one about HSN selling cars. That has the same exact right-arrow where the rest of the threads have "conversation cloud" icons - but that thread is not locked and replies are enabled.

Must be either a glitch for that thread, or a PC vs iPad thing.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

What's interesting to me is that I don't see a lock symbol, or any of the "this thread is closed for commenting" notation. It looks like an open thread *except* for an "arrow beside it which I imagine is supposed to indicate "moved"?

I wonder if the moderator who closed the thread forgot to do the padlock/no more comments thing, or if this is the shiny new and vastly more crptic way of dealing with closed/moved threads.

The one I'm looking at shows up on my 2nd page (might be different for others, depending on customized settings).  Title:  "I Don't Understand Something and the lock icon is there.  If I open the thread, the "Reply" box is faded out and isn't "clickable."

That's how it looks to me, too.  I can see the lock icon.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

That's how it looks to me, too.  I can see the lock icon.

Might just be because I'm on an iPad. We all know this whole forum and iPads are often estranged.

Honored Contributor

Re: Locked out of posting

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I get the faded out Reply, but there is no lock icon on page 2 for me, just a sort of right-arrow. And no admin message of any kind. There is another thread on the same page, the one about HSN selling cars. That has the same exact right-arrow where the rest of the threads have "conversation cloud" icons - but that thread is not locked and replies are enabled.

@Moonchilde, It's not an iPad problem.

I see the lock on my Mac (trying Firefox & Chrome), iPad, and iPhone. 

Try clearing cookies/cache/data, close and relaunch your browser.  I do this at least once a day and it clears up all sorts of problems.  This site is especially sensitive to old cookies or data stored from previous days, so it's usually the first thing to try if there's a problem.  (Also, for those who use it, please note that IE is becoming less and less compatible with this website.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Try clearing cookies/cache/data, close and relaunch your browser.  I do this at least once a day and it clears up all sorts of problems.  This site is especially sensitive to old cookies or data stored from previous days, so it's usually the first thing to try if there's a problem.  (Also, for those who use it, please note that IE is becoming less and less compatible with this website.)

Thanks, dooB. I do all that when I do have issues that affect what I can do on the site. This is more of a curiosity thing for me than an annoyance. But I've had to do it plenty of times for other issues 😉

Honored Contributor

Re: Locked out of posting

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thanks, dooB. I do all that when I do have issues that affect what I can do on the site. This is more of a curiosity thing for me than an annoyance. But I've had to do it plenty of times for other issues 😉

You're welcome.  It's a good idea to do it frequently, even if you're not aware of problems -- this discussion is a good example, since we're seeing different things and clearing cookies/cache/data might be the reason.  It's usually less time-consuming to see if it's our device rather than assuming it's a website problem and just living with it, in my opinion.  It won't hurt anything and actually helps.Smiley(eta:  However, I understand why people are quick to blame this site, instead of their device, since it has a tendency to be glitchy.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Thank you all for the replies.  All the best, LadyAlice

Honored Contributor

@LadyAlice wrote:

The topic was "I Just Don't Understand Something" regarding the Oregon shooting.  Last night I tried to post a short response and then got a nasty notice that I was not authorized to respond to a "read only" topic.  Why is this topic with the prior responses not closed if people are no longer able to respond?  I also resent these contributor labels, but you can change mine to "Compassionate Contributor" because I try to be that way.

You were typing your response at the same time the mod was locking the thread - so you wouldn't have seen that it had been locked.  That is why you were notified that you could not respond on a read-only thread.  Really not anything to get upset about - it's happened to me and I don't consider it a "nasty" comment.  It just happened to be bad timing.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

The labels are meaningless, they are just made up by the company that set up the site.  I'd like to think that all posters strive to be compassionate.

Hi, @deepwaterdotter!  I agree about the labels.  I wish they'd remove them since they mean nothing and they continue to be a source of consternation for some folks.

**********************************************************************************

Hi smileys-waving-170093.gifI agree, the labels are meaningless. I just wish everyone realized/accepted that, then they would no longer be a source of consternation for anyone. It's pretty obvious, "the powers" are not going to remove them. Maybe they think they will be accepted as the hearts pretty much have been. Remember all the hub bub about those? Now most think they are a good thing, as far as I can tell. 

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I don't even know what 'cookies' are.  Don't bother explaining.........it will go over my head, lol.  (Confused smiley face)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).