Super Contributor

The topic was "I Just Don't Understand Something" regarding the Oregon shooting.  Last night I tried to post a short response and then got a nasty notice that I was not authorized to respond to a "read only" topic.  Why is this topic with the prior responses not closed if people are no longer able to respond?  I also resent these contributor labels, but you can change mine to "Compassionate Contributor" because I try to be that way.

Honored Contributor

Re: Locked out of posting

[ Edited ]

@LadyAlice, The thread is closed. 

If you look at the list of threads, when you see a "lock" icon to the immediate left of the topic line that means it's read-only, closed for comments.

hth!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

The labels are meaningless, they are just made up by the company that set up the site.  I'd like to think that all posters strive to be compassionate.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

The labels are meaningless, they are just made up by the company that set up the site.  I'd like to think that all posters strive to be compassionate.

Hi, @deepwaterdotter!  I agree about the labels.  I wish they'd remove them since they mean nothing and they continue to be a source of consternation for some folks.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Last night everyone posting on that topic was placed on "Time Out."

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Hi, @deepwaterdotter!  I agree about the labels.  I wish they'd remove them since they mean nothing and they continue to be a source of consternation for some folks.

My label is called "Trusted Contributor."  

Ha....and I say Trust No One.   (smile)

Esteemed Contributor

I'm surprised they locked rather than deleted that thread.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What's interesting to me is that I don't see a lock symbol, or any of the "this thread is closed for commenting" notation. It looks like an open thread *except* for an "arrow beside it which I imagine is supposed to indicate "moved"?

I wonder if the moderator who closed the thread forgot to do the padlock/no more comments thing, or if this is the shiny new and vastly more cryptic way of dealing with closed/moved threads.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I'm surprised they locked rather than deleted that thread.

There was quite a bit of worthwhile exchange of opinions before it predictably went off the rails, and it was stopped before it got truly abusive, so I guess the moderators felt that the genuine discussion outweighed the snarky bits.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

What's interesting to me is that I don't see a lock symbol, or any of the "this thread is closed for commenting" notation. It looks like an open thread *except* for an "arrow beside it which I imagine is supposed to indicate "moved"?

I wonder if the moderator who closed the thread forgot to do the padlock/no more comments thing, or if this is the shiny new and vastly more crptic way of dealing with closed/moved threads.

The one I'm looking at shows up on my 2nd page (might be different for others, depending on customized settings).  Title:  "I Don't Understand Something and the lock icon is there.  If I open the thread, the "Reply" box is faded out and isn't "clickable."