Respected Contributor

Re: Live it up, retirees, on your 0.5% Social Security pay raise

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

It's better than nothing?

I went 4 years w/out any raise as a teacher-2008-2012.

Why didnt Ilook for another position? I DID! Not too many takers in the very depressed area I live in here in the Carolinas, esp. in education.

Housing values haven't improved here either.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Everytime I see how little the SS increases are, it makes me happy that I don't and never will collect it. My retirement is state funded and so far we've had some good raises...thank heavens!Smiley Happy

@SilleeMee

People can collect both, at least in CA they do.

@Noel7,

I do not have any work points vested in SS. My entire retirement contributions went into a state fund because I  worked for the state government so I can't collect any SS...there is no money there for me.

Respected Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

Exactly.

It's more than a lot of people who are actually still working are getting.

see my post-you are so right!

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Not surprised.  The law has not changed, so the COLA is what it is.

Maybe when wages for workers go up now that unemployment is lower than it was, we'll see more.  Just not sure I'm living long enough for that to affect me.

GDP gorwth is very low and jobs are not quality jobs-low skill and low pay.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Woo-hoo!  ;-)

But hey, there's been several years (especially since 2008) when it was a big fat zero.

However, it's almost always assumed that it's just retirees (seniors and elderly persons) who are affected by the Cost of Living Adjustment.

But the annual COLA increase - if one actually exists due to inflation - also affects adults ages 18 through 59 who receive Social Security Disability Insurance.

Plus other individuals like widows.

My mom became one at age 47, and she and I were blessed to be able to receive my dad's Social Security benefit..

I live solo and SSDI has been my only income for the last 11 years, so even the smallest monthly increase is appreciated.

I'm grateful that even though I was only 42 at the time, federal disability insurance was still available and that I was approved.

Feel really bad for kids and adults in the future when it may not exist but is critically needed.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maestra

I sure hear you on this. My DH worked for a Tech. college here in WI. which he recieves his state pension. He didn't get a raise during those years 2008-20012 either. In fact he lost approx $200 and will never catch up again. Last year he got a raise of $1.60 per month. Then Soc. Sec. last year there were no raises. Now this "raise" for 2017 is a slap in the face. I'd like to see some of our head honchos in DC live on what we live on. They couldn't do it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Everytime I see how little the SS increases are, it makes me happy that I don't and never will collect it. My retirement is state funded and so far we've had some good raises...thank heavens!Smiley Happy

@SilleeMee

People can collect both, at least in CA they do.

@Noel7,

I do not have any work points vested in SS. My entire retirement contributions went into a state fund because I  worked for the state government so I can't collect any SS...there is no money there for me.

@SilleeMee

Thanks for the explanation @SilleeMee !  I didn't know certain groups were exempt from paying into SS, I just scanned a bit and saw that.

Honored Contributor

giphy.gif (500×199)

Govt. official:  "We're gonna make it rain!"  

Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@Noel7

My DH gets a state pension and social security and we live in WI. I do know though you have to pay your quarters into social security. Maybe the state she lives in didn't take social security out of her earnings?  I can't imagine working and getting a state pension and not paying into social security.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

giphy.gif (500×199)

Govt. official:  "We're gonna make it rain!"  

Woman Wink

@feline groovy I always enjoy your posts but to be honest I don't find this funny as there are so many people that are struggling financially and are starting to realize that our social safety net is in dire straights.

I apologize to everyone but I guess I have lost my sense of humor on this.