Respected Contributor

Little Trick For Saving Water in the Summer

[ Edited ]

If you use a dehumidifier in the summer, which we do in our basement, instead of dumping the water out of the water bucket and wasting it, you can use the water to water your plants!  It's a small thing but every little bit helps!  Smiley WinkSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Little Trick For Saving Water in the Summer

I don't have one of those, but I also do a lot of little things like that to save on water and energy.  As you said - every little bit helps!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I'm happy to say I always did that too!  I no longer have a basement, but I do find ways to save water👍

Esteemed Contributor

We have had dehumidifiers for our entire married life--46 years & it is amazing how much water DH collects.  We rarely ever need to use a hose as we collect rain water too.

Respected Contributor

We have a rain barrel on the end of our NE front gutter. I fill my watering cans with it to water plants on my lanai. Even during the driest months, it has never run out of free water. People that have frequent rain should look into getting one.

Respected Contributor

I am interested a recommendation for a good dehumidifier. I need to purchase one. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Our whole house AC unit has a hose that puts the water into our utility sink in the basement.  (Most people run their hose directly to a drain.)

Many times during dry weather I have captured the water and used it for watering plants.  Sometimes in the summer I would even keep a few buckets full in the event the electric went out and we needed it to flush the toilet. (We have well water and can not run the pump when electric goes out.)

Honored Contributor

I also have bowls of water outside for the birdies.  When I clean out the bowls, instead of just pouring out the water, I pour it into this one plant I have out there.  The baby birdies love to eat from that plant so when I pour the water into the plant there are often seeds and stuff that goes in there so they can also enjoy that.

I keep trying to tell them not to put their food in the water bowl but they don't listen.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I usually do that also, but this year we have gotten so much rain I haven't had to - the ground is like a sponge right now.  We've gotten over 6.6 inches of rain in August alone. 

Respected Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

I am interested a recommendation for a good dehumidifier. I need to purchase one. Thanks.

@tiny 2it will all depend upon what your specific needs are.

My uncle got a GE basement model last year.  It has a lot of convenient features. They have several different models for various needs (at various prices).  I can't recall the number of pints his is, but it cost in the neighborhood of $200 at Home Depot.  

His works very well. It is located in the game room in the basement which is very, very damp.  Even though he has an AC unit, he still needs the dehumidifier in the basement.

I can't say it is any better then other brand.   I don't know if GE makes their own or just slaps their name on another manufacturer's product.