Respected Contributor

Re: Letting the grey hair grow...

I think it's more accurate to say that on some women grey hair is very aging and on others it isn't.  Just like one's own natural hair color can look very aging on some women too but is easily remedied with subtle highlights around the face.   I remember irishgrl's post on a recent similar thread where she stated that as an esthetician she has pretty much seen it all and in her opinion grey hair is aging more often than not.  

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I remember irishgrl's post on a recent similar thread where she stated that as an esthetician she has pretty much seen it all and in her opinion grey hair is aging more often than not.  

Funny.

If I was to allow anyone in my head,

to determine how I feel about myself,

the last person I would listen to is 'she-her'...a woman.

My guy thinks I'm pretty & sexy, while I'm sporting grey, 

so why would I care what anyone else thinks?

Again, youthfulness is all about the spirit..not inside a L'Oréal box. 

If one can't see that, wow.

You're missing out on SO much life...worrying about what others think.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I remember irishgrl's post on a recent similar thread where she stated that as an esthetician she has pretty much seen it all and in her opinion grey hair is aging more often than not.  

Funny.

I regard to so many things in life, especially to do with appearance(s), many women worry more about what strangers think than how they or those close to them see things. Keeping up with what they have been told, read, and believe "The Joneses" or "Mary Jones" have or do rather than what's comfortable for them and those close to them. They feel the need to measure up to an ideal that "people say" is the desirable one, choosing to follow "people" rather than their own needs and preferences.

It's one reason why the cosmetics industry is a multi-million dollar business. Striving for a perfection that doesn't exist. And whose perfection to start with, and why should "we all" care?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

This is a gal I follow on YouTube (24 yrs old).

She purposefully colors her hair a grey/platinum blonde color.  

She's so pretty.  Again, it's not the color of the hair that beautifies a

a person, but the sassy, lively spirit one has.  

The only one she's impressing is...herself. 

That's the way, the only way, it should be!!

Makes me SO sad women's insecurities can't

see that beautiful empowerment!!

IMG_0281.JPG

You can see how damaged this woman's hair is from the bleach.

Honored Contributor

@151949

Thats's true.....that's the end result of a lot of coloring.

I was just pointing out the color vs the age..she's pretty,

unlike what society, and several in this thread, are implying.

Respected Contributor

@Greenqueen wrote:

I'm 37 and have dyed my hair since 7th grade. Initially it was just to make it lighter, but the last 10ish years I've done it to cover grey.

A few months ago I decided to stop dying, and I have an inch or two of root with at least 1/4-1/3 grey.

I don't know about this. Aside from the pain in the butt grow-out process, is it a mistake to willingly be grey this young?

My hair is very long and a blondish grey with light brown. I had stopped highlighting it a few years ago but last week decided to highlight it again. It is so much thicker now & I'm glad I did it even though I still have a lot of hair. I don't wear my hair down that much but I love long hair & I don't really care what other people think. You have to feel good about your own hair, long or short!

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

@Greenqueen wrote:

I'm 37 and have dyed my hair since 7th grade. Initially it was just to make it lighter, but the last 10ish years I've done it to cover grey.

A few months ago I decided to stop dying, and I have an inch or two of root with at least 1/4-1/3 grey.

I don't know about this. Aside from the pain in the butt grow-out process, is it a mistake to willingly be grey this young?

My hair is very long and a blondish grey with light brown. I had stopped highlighting it a few years ago but last week decided to highlight it again. It is so much thicker now & I'm glad I did it even though I still have a lot of hair. I don't wear my hair down that much but I love long hair & I don't really care what other people think. You have to feel good about your own hair, long or short!

ITA that it's a Very Good Thing to feel happy/content with your own hair, whatever you do with it.

I have nearly always had short hair because it's fine and straight. I was coerced, shamed, bullied, etc. by my mother over the years to let it grow, try this or that style, she didn't like this, didn't like that, etc. She had the money to spend megabucks on her appearance for most of her life. She never had to worry about getting her hair to do something, a hairdresser did it.

Aside from the fact that I have never cared very much about the labels in my clothes, shoes and handbags, I've also never wanted to *waste* time on my appearance.

I have learned over the years that I could literally spend over an hour on my hair blow-drying, using an iron, etc and it still looked like carp at the end, no matter its length. I used to spend an hour doing make-up - foundation, eyes, cheeks, lips - and because I wear glasses, it all disappears once they are on. Professional make-up artists got the same results on me, i.e. not much use bothering vs. time spent.

At a certain point, I just stopped and put in as much work as I was comfortable with. My mother was told I didn't care whether it met with her approval or not, I wasn't going to change anything, and that was that. When I still got comments about how crappy it (hair) looked, I would tell her I didn't care what she thought, because friends and co-workers liked it and I got compliments all the time (true). Once I stopped trying to make myself someone else's version of "stylish" I felt more comfortable and had more compliments than I ever had before.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Some years ago I worked with this young woman who was small in stature, very pretty with a head full of curly dark hair.  She looked like a junior in high school, but she had graduated from college and had just applied to medical school and was accepted.  Two years later she came to visit me and my eyes nearly popped out of my head.  She had turned totally grey/white.  When she saw my stunned look she explained that it was just fine with her because now she was no longer treated like a little girl playing doctor.  She still looked young and pretty.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@truffle wrote:

Funny.

Youthfulness is not only about spirit but the condition of your skin, how you've aged and the condition of your hair.  The girl's picture that you posted looks terrible and older than her years from fried hair that is too light for her.  

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Most of those pictures were of young ,pretty, women. At their age its almost impossible not to look good, what ever color their hair is

@cherry  And many are obviously dyed grey.  One even has brown roots showing.

Someone mentioned a "trend" for younger folks coloring their hair grey and that is very true. 

You can even get grey highlights at the salon I go to-some for effect on natural color some for smoothing out uneven natural grey.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh