Honored Contributor

Let's Move Thanksgiving--AGAIN!

Did you know that Thanksgiving was moved by FDR?  He moved it up a week In 1940 and 1941, years in which November had four Thursdays, Roosevelt declared the third one as Thanksgiving. As in 1939, some states went along with the change while others retained the traditional last-Thursday date. FDR did it for more time for people to shop and buy, helping businesses out in those hard years.

Interesting huh?  As busy as people are now and with as much as so many travel, I wish they would move it up a couple of weeks into mid November.  That way more leaves are pretty, travel is usually easier for folks, and there is more time to get ready for Christmas.

PLUS, the big meals are further apart!  That would be good for people wouldn't it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Let's Move Thanksgiving--AGAIN!

@Sooner wrote:

Did you know that Thanksgiving was moved by FDR?  He moved it up a week In 1940 and 1941, years in which November had four Thursdays, Roosevelt declared the third one as Thanksgiving. As in 1939, some states went along with the change while others retained the traditional last-Thursday date. FDR did it for more time for people to shop and buy, helping businesses out in those hard years.

Interesting huh?  As busy as people are now and with as much as so many travel, I wish they would move it up a couple of weeks into mid November.  That way more leaves are pretty, travel is usually easier for folks, and there is more time to get ready for Christmas.

PLUS, the big meals are further apart!  That would be good for people wouldn't it?

@Sooner, wish it was earlier in the month....

Valued Contributor

I like it where it is in late fall.   Christmas was intended to worship Christ, not a shopping frenzy.  But,  if someone is worried that they won't have time to buy gifts then I suggest buying them throughout the year. 

Changing a holiday to appease shoppers is crackers. 

Trusted Contributor

This information is not entirely true.

First, there are always at least four Thursdays in November -- never fewer.  There are, however, some Novembers with five Thursdays. 

While Thanksgiving was traditionally observed the last Thursday of November in the United States (at least since the period following the Civil War), it was moved up, and the official holiday in the United States falls on the fourth Thursday of the month.

Honored Contributor

Changing Holidays to help hosts and families is always helpful.  More time to prepare for family and friends.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Changing Holidays to help hosts and families is always helpful.  More time to prepare for family and friends.

That and in late November the weather can be really bad--or get bad suddenly.   I think in mid-November fewer people would have their travel disrupted.  I feel so sorry for people who are trying to get home for holidays and get stranded or have to spend hours and  hours in airports and stuck on highways just inching along.

Respected Contributor

I don't understand the mindset that you have to wait until after Thanksgiving to do your Christmas shopping.  Nothing stops anyone from shopping whenever they want and retailers are obviously doing everything to encourage earlier shopping, much to the very vocal dismay of many.

If consideration of weather impacting travel is grounds for moving a holiday, are we also then going to request to move Christmas to a more advantageous time of year too?

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

I don't understand the mindset that you have to wait until after Thanksgiving to do your Christmas shopping.  Nothing stops anyone from shopping whenever they want and retailers are obviously doing everything to encourage earlier shopping, much to the very vocal dismay of many.

If consideration of weather impacting travel is grounds for moving a holiday, are we also then going to request to move Christmas to a more advantageous time of year too?

Trying to shop for a huge meal, maybe house guests, travel, and work is a huge burden on many people, especially when two big events come so close together.  

I think more people could travel for both holidays too if they were farther apart in time and paychecks.  Yes, I know people can plan and save ahead, but the world is so fast paced today and expensive, it's hard on a lot of people.  Time AND money.

Super Contributor

I like when Canada celebrates Thanksgiving. It's always the second Monday in October.

Esteemed Contributor

Canada does it right. Their Thanksgiving typically occurs when the U.S. celebrates the increasingly politically incorrect Columbus Day. I'm not here to argue the merits of Columbus Day but it does make sense to celebrate the harvest when the harvest takes place in most North Anerican locations...October. Here in upstate NY, nothing is growing in late November except credit card bills for Christmas presents. Thanksgiving,a beautiful holiday, is becoming lost in the overcommercialization of Christmas. Give Thanksgiving the attention it deserves, move it to October. I once celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada years ago and realized how sensible it was. Can't we do the right thing?