Valued Contributor

Re: Lady Gaga - Star Spangled Banner brilliantly sung

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

She lost us when she rewrote the song note wise.  Singers do this when they can't hold the note as written, and it's a supreme cop out.  I wish they could find someone with the skill to sing it properly.

EXCELLENT POST! 100% AGREE!!!

Respected Contributor

Lady Gaga did a spectacular job. She added very little embellishment.

(By the way, she's very capable of holding onto any note for an extreme length of time-- she has a gift, and her voice is trained.)

I taught vocal music for three decades, so I know what I'm talking about.

Respected Contributor

As a casual fan of Lady Gaga I have heard her various songs on the radio. I thought they were okay.

You cannot appreciate the strength and purity of her voice listening to her pop tunes.

She has a beautiful voice and her presentation of the national anthem was original and touching. 

Honored Contributor

I think some people aren't familiar with operatic training and don't recognize it in a voice or way of singing.

Honored Contributor

JavaQueen wrote:

I think Lady Gaga is extremely talented and the Star Spangled Banner is tough to do well. So glad to see that she utilizing her gifts. 

No one can touch the Whitney version. It seems to me that people try to do their own cover of Whitney's version. Too many embellishments. It's not just LG. 

What saddened me was ignorance and lack of respect of the people in the audience. Somehow I seemed to remember that you stand straight with your hand on your heart.  People use to sing it--or pretend to. I did a stint in the Scouts and the whole thing with the Pledge, the national anthem and tlag eitquette was a big deal. It must be a generational thing.

To take it one step further, the singing of the national anthem at the Super Bowl has transformed it into entertainment with amazing  voices. It makes one wonder if it should be treated as entertainment?

This (bolded by me) is something that occurred to me, in spades, when they kept on hooping and hollering DURING the song.  You never did that.  You waited until the end.   That was jarring and embarrassing for me.

As for the hand thing, we never did the hand on the heart thing for the Nat'l Anthem.  That was always for the Pledge of Allegiance.  But I guess the rules have been changed somewhere along the way.  Smiley Happy

It was always just standing kind of 'at attention' with your hands either at your sides or clasped down low in front or back of you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RainCityWoman wrote:

If there are still those that doubt the talent of Stephanie Germanotta, this should settle it. She's the real thing and always has been. You brought it, Gaga!!!!

@RainCityWoman...All anyone has to do is google "Lady Gaga Sound of Music (Oscars 2015)"...There will be no doubt that she has a beautiful, spectacular voice and is definitely up there with the best!

This performance gave me butterflies and made me a Fan!...I shocked myself!...LOL..She got a well-deserved standing ovation and Julie Andrews was truly touched by her tribute and beautiful performance!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

If there are still those that doubt the talent of Stephanie Germanotta, this should settle it. She's the real thing and always has been. You brought it, Gaga!!!!

@RainCityWoman...All anyone has to do is google "Lady Gaga Sound of Music (Oscars 2015)"...There will be no doubt that she has a beautiful, spectacular voice and is definitely up there with the best!

This performance gave me butterflies and made me a Fan!...I shocked myself!...LOL..She got a well-deserved standing ovation and Julie Andrews was truly touched by her tribute and beautiful performance!

@MyShadowLove

Thanks for the reminder, that was wonderful, and Julie Andrews was so touched by it, you're right about that Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

She did a beautiful, respectful version of the our National Anthem.

I've seen videos of Lady Gaga playing the piano.  I minored in piano performance so I'm a decent player.  I was mesmerized watching her play. She is outstanding.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@JavaQueen wrote:

I think Lady Gaga is extremely talented and the Star Spangled Banner is tough to do well. So glad to see that she utilizing her gifts. 

No one can touch the Whitney version. It seems to me that people try to do their own cover of Whitney's version. Too many embellishments. It's not just LG. 

What saddened me was ignorance and lack of respect of the people in the audience. Somehow I seemed to remember that you stand straight with your hand on your heart.  People use to sing it--or pretend to. I did a stint in the Scouts and the whole thing with the Pledge, the national anthem and tlag eitquette was a big deal. It must be a generational thing.

To take it one step further, the singing of the national anthem at the Super Bowl has transformed it into entertainment with amazing  voices. It makes one wonder if it should be treated as entertainment?

This (bolded by me) is something that occurred to me, in spades, when they kept on hooping and hollering DURING the song.  You never did that.  You waited until the end.   That was jarring and embarrassing for me.

As for the hand thing, we never did the hand on the heart thing for the Nat'l Anthem.  That was always for the Pledge of Allegiance.  But I guess the rules have been changed somewhere along the way.  Smiley Happy

It was always just standing kind of 'at attention' with your hands either at your sides or clasped down low in front or back of you.

And men should remove their hats when the anthem is sung. I remember seeing this before baseball games with players removing their caps.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Regular Contributor

Beautiful!    I was very impressed.