Honored Contributor

Re: Kohls Closing 18 Stores!!!

@Moonchilde  Maybe they've knocked it off.  I've never gone back to test it out.  I was thinking maybe an overzealous store manager looking to hit a national bonus or sales competition.  Whatever it was, it wasn't pleasant and I left them long ago. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I have never experienced anyone coming up to me at any Kohl's to speak to me about anything. If I want a salesperson I have to hunt for one. I have never seen a Kohl's employee just roaming the aisles looking for customers to accost. The only time I have ever been asked if I had or wanted a Kohl's card is at checkout.

It is possible that this was an outside solicitation firm where the solicitors get paid for how many people they sign up. I have seen them in malls and other stores, but not in Kohl's.

This has been my experience.  Our area Kohl's stores have 1 or 2 open registers and 1 or 2 people in Customer Service.  Occasionally you'll find a stock person but no one is ever roaming the floors to help customers.

Honored Contributor

I've never seen people helping customers. The only time I've been asked to sign up for their credit card is at the cash register
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I feel ONLY for the employees who will lose their jobs. Sadly, the upper-mucks will walk away with a great package or will still have their job making their same salary.

I worked for an upscale retailer when I was in undergrad; I watched it go under slowly and wrote a few papers on how to destroy a well-known, 100 plus year old retailer. What really angered me was the CEO and the majority of executives all walked away with a fantastic severance package. They collected their money even as they laid off hundred of employees (and then fired them) kicked to the curb loyal 30 plus years employees, took away their promised benefits/retirement packages and well.... there it is.

The "uipper-mucks" are a part of business in this country.  I feel sorry for anyone losing a job or trying to save jobs for other people.  I don't think any people involved are having a fine old time closing stores and seeing people laid off or fired or facing early retirement without enough money.

The economic picture is changing just as the times when the steel mills closing.  Stores won't come back and it is a great loss, and a whole change of our culture.  It saddens me.  All of it.

Esteemed Contributor

There is no real customer service on the floor at Kohls from what I can tell.  The check out line is usually long and I don't think they hire enough employees. 

I do buy things like bath mats and towels and have had good luck with sales on those items.  And I think the lingerie department has very similar items to what you would find at any major department store.  Clothing is where they really fall short.

Super Contributor

I was a huge Kohls shopper since they've opened here in CT until about 1 year ago.  Once in awhile they would have the cash back promotion but now it seems they have it all the time.  When you have a return, I have found that no matter if you have used the cash back or not, they deduct the amount of the cash back to the item.  I was often left with an item that I didn't fit, didn't work or what have you, i'd keep it because I refuse to give them back something for less!  My son and his wife have stopped shopping at Kohls as well for the same reason.

I do agree that online shopping has really taken its toll on the B&M stores.  There are a few craft stores that have websites but do not sell, a great way to show what they sell but it gets your butt into the actual store for purchase.  Win-win if you ask me..

Honored Contributor

Most stores today very seldom have salespersons on the floor to help you out.  Even the cosmetics counters at Macy's have salespeople selling more than one brand - they just walk on over from Lancome to Estee, for instance, when they see a customer browsing.  At least in my area.

Kohl's is ok for some good deals on clothing for my grandchildren but I only buy online.  I find the stores messy and not worth the wait.  I don't buy clothes for myself or DH at Kohl's.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh