Respected Contributor

Re: Kirsten is doing it again!

Now I am not one to get offended at things (that overused word offended) or take things too seriously.  I just roll my eyes, shake my head and move on lol.  I don't even know what product we're talking about here, but if she said, "Even a girl can do it", I'd have to agree with the OP that that is pretty condescending.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@croemer wrote:

Really? This is what we find offensive now-a-days?

There is no "we." Some people do find stereotyping females to be offensive. Others are unfazed. Pretty much the same as with most issues, I would imagine.

We disagree...there is a "we" that have become much too sensitive in today's society.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

Well, I don't mind the term "girl" or "girls."

In my circle, we always, say "when are we going for cocktails, girls?!"  or something along that line when we're having fun.

I also don't think it's something to get that worked up about if Kirsten uses that expression.

But that's just me.

@Marienkaefer2, that was just a secondary objection in the opening post.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@croemer wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@croemer wrote:

Really? This is what we find offensive now-a-days?

There is no "we." Some people do find stereotyping females to be offensive. Others are unfazed. Pretty much the same as with most issues, I would imagine.

We disagree...there is a "we" that have become much too sensitive in today's society.

There is a "we" who don't favor certain stereotypes, generalizations, and demeaning words and phrases.

Then there are those who deem these people as being too sensitive or PC.

That was my only point. And I think that you and I should be able to agree on this division, even if we view the sides differently.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I'm not offended by what Kirsten said.  My daughter and I both do home maintenance chores...as well as or better than most men, I'll bet.  And my son can cook, sew, and clean house very efficiently!  

but overall...is it really this way with most people you know?  Not in my life..many women seem to let the men in their lives do all handy"man" chores, even ones as simple as hanging pictures on the wall. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

I'm not offended by what Kirsten said.  My daughter and I both do home maintenance chores...as well as or better than most men, I'll bet.  And my son can cook, sew, and clean house very efficiently!  

but overall...is it really this way with most people you know?  Not in my life..many women seem to let the men in their lives do all handy"man" chores, even ones as simple as hanging pictures on the wall. 

And why do you think this is the case? Because they are not able to do such work? Or maybe because they were brought up from an early age to distinguish between men's work and their work?

Consider a male stereotype like not being too emotional. Many boys get the message early on that they should not be overtly emotional, they should not show their feelings.

So no wonder that as men they follow through on that learning. But should we promote that?

Someone whose name shall not be uttered has said that he never cries and never has regretted anything. Perfect example.

Honored Contributor

If I had heard it I would have felt it was condescending, but I find quite a few pitches that several of the hosts make on occasion condescending...... however, these hosts are not my friends, they are hired to try and get me to buy what they are selling.  There are a few of them that I just can't watch (or even listen to while I'm working).... so off they go....

I vote with my wallet..... Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3  I think it's because they've always had a man nearby to do these things for them and haven't learned to do these chores. Of course they could.  

I know this...but there are women (girls) who haven't yet ventured into doing home chores.  Maybe if a shopping host gives them a little rah rah boost of confidence, they'll venture into new territory. 

maybe it  shouldn't be that way (isn't in my family). 

Honored Contributor

She's sweet and I'm sure she doesn't mean anything by it.  I know sometimes a person will say something and then (for some reason) it becomes a go to phrase and usually people don't even realize it.

I do agree with you though (about the strength of women).  Lately there have been several young women (Amy among them) who are very pregnant and working.

I've been pregnant at least 6 times and have 3 adult children.  I worked with my first daughter up until near the 9th month of pregnancy.  Some women work longer.  I was lucky I had an easy desk government job but I had to ride a hot bus every day for 1 hour to get to work (each way).  Not a lot considering what some women have to endure.

My point is I think women are much smarter than men.  I have something I post sometimes.  I will copy it here.  It's pretty wonderful about women.

Honored Contributor

"I think women are foolish to pretend they are equal to men.  They are far superior and always have been.  Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater.  If you give her sperm, she will give you a baby.  If you give her a house, she will give you a home.  If you give her groceries she will give you a meal.  If you give her a smile, she will give you her heart.  She multiplies and enlarges what is give to her.  So, if you give her any ******, be ready to receive a ton of (you know what)." William Golding