Honored Contributor

Re: Kirsten is doing it again!

@suzyQ3 wrote:

First of all, I didn't get the impression that the OP was as upset about the use of the word "girl" as she was about what followed. And yes, it is outdated and insulting to suggest that women are not physically strong. Certainly, most females are not as strong as men, but that's not the point here.

As for those who  continually accuse people here of being so easily offended (translation: too PC), I have two replies: First, any of you wouldn't hesitate to voice YOUR dismay when something is said or done that offends YOU; second, I'm tired of this labeling (PC or easily offended) that seems always to imply a lack of empathy for others' feelings.

Stereotypying and generalizations can lead to outright insults and boorish behavior. And that is never CORRECT, politically or not.

I don't necessarily equate easily offended with PC. It may indeed be related but IMO it's not a given.

We do live in a "this 'offends' me, so everyone needs to stop doing/saying it" world. Yes, some people ARE "offended" by nearly everything - and in reality that simply means they don't agree with or like something (anything, from soup to nuts), and have learned that the word "offends" is a viable weapon as much as the accusation "bully(ing)" is.

Saying "I wish you'd shut up" rarely has a positive effect in a group. "S/he's bullying meeee!" often does. Saying "I don't like/agree with that/you!" gets a non-impressed shrug. Saying "That offends me!" implies there is something about it that shouldn't be "allowed" by some vague official concept.

If I don't like something or disagree with it I say so, and WHY, based on reason or feeling. I commit to a response that might - gasp! - lead to a discussion where another poster isn't impressed or acquiescent. 

But "offends"? The wider world doesn't give a hoot about what might offend me, and I in turn care not what offends others. It's no one's responsibility but the offendee.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

O/T but did anyone get the impression there were a few people talking to themselves? Woman Wink

Very much so and just my opinion not first time.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

First of all, I didn't get the impression that the OP was as upset about the use of the word "girl" as she was about what followed. And yes, it is outdated and insulting to suggest that women are not physically strong. Certainly, most females are not as strong as men, but that's not the point here.

As for those who  continually accuse people here of being so easily offended (translation: too PC), I have two replies: First, any of you wouldn't hesitate to voice YOUR dismay when something is said or done that offends YOU; second, I'm tired of this labeling (PC or easily offended) that seems always to imply a lack of empathy for others' feelings.

Stereotypying and generalizations can lead to outright insults and boorish behavior. And that is never CORRECT, politically or not.

I don't necessarily equate easily offended with PC. It may indeed be related but IMO it's not a given.

We do live in a "this 'offends' me, so everyone needs to stop doing/saying it" world. Yes, some people ARE "offended" by nearly everything - and in reality that simply means they don't agree with or like something (anything, from soup to nuts), and have learned that the word "offends" is a viable weapon as much as the accusation "bully(ing)" is.

Saying "I wish you'd shut up" rarely has a positive effect in a group. "S/he's bullying meeee!" often does. Saying "I don't like/agree with that/you!" gets a non-impressed shrug. Saying "That offends me!" implies there is something about it that shouldn't be "allowed" by some vague official concept.

If I don't like something or disagree with it I say so, and WHY, based on reason or feeling. I commit to a response that might - gasp! - lead to a discussion where another poster isn't impressed or acquiescent. 

But "offends"? The wider world doesn't give a hoot about what might offend me, and I in turn care not what offends others. It's no one's responsibility but the offendee.

I think we're straying a bit into semantics. But the fact is, sometimes I don't just disagree with what someone says; sometimes I am downright offended.

Speaking of which, I disagree with but amy not offended by your very bleak "The wider world doesn't give a hoot about what might offend me, and I in turn care not what offends others. It's no one's responsibility but the offendee":

At some point the world does indeed begin to care. But that can happen only when there are enough voices. I do care very much what offends others, and I believe that we are ALL responsible for the offense. I do not put the onus only on the offendee.

To be clear, I'm not talking about trivial matters here. I happen to think that promoting the stereotypes about women, the gist of this thread, is anything but trivial, though.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I find her very annoying and as soon as she is on as the host I change the channel.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

And all combined @Spurt, among the many, many reasons I no longer watch, though I was once a regular viewer. Oh well, I guess they don't miss me and I certainly don't miss them. I wonder if that was part of that amazing and 'successful' business plan we hear so much about?

@stevieb

Since you have altered your QVC viewing habits you probably missed these new "exciting" and "brilliant" business plans......

1. On certain pricey items you can finance them with the Q Card that has a wonderful 26% interest rate....now the gimmick is if you pay the promotional purchase within the 9,12, or 18 month period....no interest will be charged on the promotional purchase balance....Now depending on the purchase amount, promotion length and payment allocations, the required minimum monthly payments may or may not pay off your purchase by the end of the promotional period....clever isn't it...

https://homeshoppingista.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/qvc-offers-special-deal-on-26-interest-card/

2.  Perhaps you've heard the old classic song "I'll take Manhattan"..in a TCM movie or on a radio station that plays the old standards.........well that's QVC's strategy....yep, both magic Mike and Aunt Mandy and Amazon are looking to open brick & mortar stores in Manhattan on 34th Street........

Both multichannel home-shopping retailers have independently decided the teeming shopping area is ripe for a brick-and-mortar store to complement their TV shows and online retail.

"The goal is to have a store to bolster their TV and online sales...."

http://nypost.com/2016/10/11/qvc-hsn-shop-for-touching-space/

3.  QVC plans to open an International Global Operations Center in Krakow, Poland in the next 2 years employing 200-300 people....

“The QVC-owned GBS organization is expected to help QVC maintain its competitive edge in a vastly changing, dynamic and competitive global retail marketplace by increasing operational efficiency and establishing world-class global business practices,” according to the press release.

“Starting in 2017, QVC will centralize critical processes and services in certain areas of the company’s finance, human resources (HR), information technology (IT), and legal functions for its operations in the U.S., UK, Germany, Italy and France at the Krakow GBS. The estimated annual savings are USD $11 to $12 million once the GBS is fully operational.”

“QVC is the world’s most powerful and engaging social shopping experience, reaching millions of people worldwide,” QVC CEO Mike George said in a canned statement. “As we look to expand and adapt to a dynamic retail landscape, this model will allow us to continue to modernize how we operate as a global entity.”

https://homeshoppingista.wordpress.com/2016/10/11/qvc-debuts-polish-global-operations-center-a-viewe...

@stevieb  But nowhere, nowhere in their "brilliant" plans do I see the that they will be offering more unique and diverse products and programming---something that actually might bring viewers back and bolster their TV and online sales..... go figure....DesiSmileys.com

Oh my yes @Spurt, I'd previously heard all about Little Mikie's endeavors and about the proposed foray into NYC... As for the failure to focus on interesting products and programming, well, all one has to do is look on line to see that isn't happening. No need even to tune in... Thank heaven... !!!!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Really? This is what we find offensive now-a-days?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@croemer wrote:

Really? This is what we find offensive now-a-days?

There is no "we." Some people do find stereotyping females to be offensive. Others are unfazed. Pretty much the same as with most issues, I would imagine.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@stevieb

I do want to apologize STEVIE I should have done a warning alert in case you were eating while reading these comments---DesiSmileys.com

QVC is the world’s most powerful and engaging social shopping experience, reaching millions of people worldwide,”

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Well, I don't mind the term "girl" or "girls."

In my circle, we always, say "when are we going for cocktails, girls?!"  or something along that line when we're having fun.

I also don't think it's something to get that worked up about if Kirsten uses that expression.

But that's just me.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb

I do want to apologize STEVIE I should have done a warning alert in case you were eating while reading these comments---DesiSmileys.com

QVC is the world’s most powerful and engaging social shopping experience, reaching millions of people worldwide,”

Yea, I saw that... and I want some of whatever he's smoking... But no, I wasn't eating... or drinking anything... @Spurt...

Smiley Wink

And by the way, 'social shopping' for me means I go with a friend...  not that I rely on some hyped up host to tell me or to direct me to social media to figure out what I need or want... The big one though is the whole 'engaging' thing... Really...?

In my pantry with my cupcakes...