Honored Contributor

Re: Kid's birthday parties, at home or outside venue?

My daughters are in their 30's now, but we had a birthday party every year for them, most were at home,with our families and a few friends, but because our families are so big, it usually ended up being about 30 people...As my girls got older, they wanted slumber parties, so usually they would have 8-10 girls over for the night,and then we would have a separate gathering for family. where -makes me tired just remembering it all. A few times we did the McDonald's parties, but back then most had home parties or Chuckie Cheese-certainly not as expensive and elaborate as the ones kids are having now...

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mominohio   If your son is 19, and you're trying to get ideas for planning a birthday party for him, I can guarantee he doesn't want to go to McDonald's or Chuck E. Cheese and he won't want a bouncy house.  So what are you going to do?

I don't know how you get the idea I was looking for ideas for having  a birthday party. 

Was simply taking a survey of the kinds people had done (or still do) and whether they prefer home parties to venue parties.

In general, home parties are cheaper, but a ton of work, and venue parties are more expensive (some) but the whole mess of prep and clean up are left to someone else.

Esteemed Contributor

Hosted home parties for both sons, for the most part.

DS#1 has a birthday in the fall, so all his parties were at home. He would generally choose a theme for his next party the day after his birthday!  He would not change his mind throughout the year. At least I had plenty of time to plan, LOL! Fun and unique parties. DS#2 was born late winter, so some of the "home" parties were held in a local church hall. The was a kitchen, table and chairs, and plenty of room for the boys to run around. One year we went off-site to a nationally well known circus, where we had access to a suite. Even the adults who came along as drivers/chaperones were wowed!

I hosted a party at a local bowling alley for my 50th. Fun!

Honored Contributor

Always home birthday parties for us.   My girls were never interested in parties anywhere else, and I just don't like the idea.   

Honored Contributor

When kids were in pre-school and elementary school we either had home parties or venue parties such as bowling, ceramic painting store, laser tag or a sports place. By the time middle school arrived, the parties were low key with close friends. High school was either small parties to the movies or out to dinner. Most kids do not want big blow out parties by the time they get into HS. Graduation from HS or college there were parties but these were held at restaurants.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

we did both...at home and in various venues.

For my daughter we had a gymnastics party at the local Y, a beauty party at a small local salon, an ice cream sundae party at a local ice cream place, a ceramic painting party and numerous craft & Halloween themed parties at home since her birthday is in October.

For my son we did Chucky Cheese, batting cages, skating party, the local Y, Ice cream, race cars at a place called The Sports Zone, etc.

I almost forgot about the many bowling parties for both as well!

For both whenever we had a home party we had a  pinata too which always seemed impossible to open!

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

When kids were in pre-school and elementary school we either had home parties or venue parties such as bowling, ceramic painting store, laser tag or a sports place. By the time middle school arrived, the parties were low key with close friends. High school was either small parties to the movies or out to dinner. Most kids do not want big blow out parties by the time they get into HS. Graduation from HS or college there were parties but these were held at restaurants.

Sounds just like us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've done both. In preschool, the thing was to invite the whole class. At that age, you also have parents as well as siblings. 2-4 year make it tough to find stuff they can actually do and enjoy. At the time, there were some fantastic venue's and we used them for all our kids for years; they've all gone now. Once in grade school, the whole would still be invited but often only half or so would attend and now parents would drop them off. From middle school one, it's a few friends over for pizza and a sleep over or a meal out and some activity: it's usually 2-4 friends.

When I owned a large house with LAND, the parties were at home. Plenty of room for the kids to spread out as well as parents. But I want to add that it was only those had some late Spring or Summer B-days that this would work (snow, cold or heavy rain isn't the best thing for an outdoor birthday party). But, when they were outside, it meant water balloons, whipped cream fights, super soakers, sprinklers and lots of fun.

We do a party for each child, every year and the party adapts to their age. We also have 2 parties: a family party for just us and grandparents, cousins, whomever is around and then Friends Party.

One of my boys has a birthday on Mothers Day. NO ONE is going to go to a party on that day so we're celebrating the following weekend (Friends Party) with an event at a huge laser tag place. I schedule them for after lunch or dinner so all we need to supply is cake and refreshments. This place handles it all so we just arrive and have fun and then leave.

You do what works for you.

Respected Contributor

Any place that's far, far away from wherever I am.

Woman LOLWoman LOL