Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just wondering about mattress stores

@SahmIam@SahmIam wrote:

I spent a little over a year researching mattresses and found out many things that saddened me regarding how they are made and what is now available. The last time I had purchase a mattress was 12 years or so ago for my then 2 eldest boys (now 16 and 19). Twin size and with a pillowtop. Boxspring and mattress, on sale via a dept. store (now gone) ran me around $800 for each set. One is still in great condition; the other needs to be replaced (disabled son is in bed for 15 plus hours a day so....).

I had to buy a queen size as mine was going on 20 years. THey are NOT what they used to be. Between the chemicals sprayed on them (which triggered my asthma and caused everyone to get headaches), having that weird gel-foam (which is terrible for lower back injuries) and NOT being flippable, they have a lasting rate of 3-5 YEARS according to all the consumer sites I went to (not to mention the negative reviews left by customers). 

Where do you go to find a flippable, extra-firm, no gel-foam mattress that will last 15 years plus? Bloomingdale's or the direct site of mattresses that run $10,000 PLUS in cost. I bought one; yes I did. On sale and being replaced with a newer version so my queen set ran me just over $2000. LOVE IT.

The more I learned about the product, the more I realized that bargain basement is junk, the turnover of mattresses is astronomical and the caustic fall-out to our health is criminal. People buy them because they wear out quickly and the warranty is a joke. Many order over the phone ( I just did that for another set from Bloomingdales' for my son- twin set). It shouldn't be THIS HARD to purchase a mattress but for someone reason, it's up there with buying a car. 

Just....why?!

This is because the mattress manufacturers, Sealy, Simmons, Serta, etc. sold out to investors and hedge funds. That's why u have to be sure the mattresses are made in the U.S. -- even then, ur not sure what's in them. Yes - they do use "old" mattresses and put new stuffing in them. I'm surprised our government never admits to this. They add lots of foam where the mattress starts sinking. Look at those high prices!!!! $1,000 plus -- is totally ridiculous. SCAM!!!!

Super Contributor

Re: Just wondering about mattress stores

Speaking of mattresses, we're looking for a  Queen and 2 Twin sized mattresses and boxsprings.  Remember, I moved to NJ. Any suggestions?