Honored Contributor

Re: Just wondering about mattress stores

My youngest son bought a bed quite a few years ago (expensive, pillow top, not reversible) and has had back problems while sleeping ever since even though the bed felt firm.  Stayed at his brother's house for a year sleeping on a cheap, hard, reversible mattress that his brother had (for quite a few years and said he never slept better!  Now he's on the look out for a mattess set that is similar.... good luck with that one.... everything out there seems to be very expensive and way over-engineered!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

This Consumer Reports article says QVC scored highly for overall satisfaction, while mattress stores did not.

www.consumerreports.org/mattress-stores/best-and-worst-mattress-stores

The reviews on QVC for their mattresses aren't very good.  I frequently disagree with Consumer Reports.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

I purchased (and will continue to purchase) from the brand Shifman. They don't have many on their site as they are preparing for a sale that starts 8/24. A sales rep will call me to arrange the sale on that date. I only buy the Extra-Firm, NON-pillowtop. This provides excellent support and can be flipped without issue.

Honored Contributor

About a year ago, I bought a new mattress from a local store.  It was a good experience, without any pressure at all.

As part of the sale, they do take away the old mattress.  I asked what happens to it, because I believe in my state, you can't resell a used mattress. They told me the mattresses are sent to a recycling center where they are taken apart and the various parts are separated and recycled    Some of it gets sent to the dump. 

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

Thank you very much for the information.

Respected Contributor

We bought a new mattress last year and went to a king size bed.  We ended up buying it at Macy's as it had the best sale at the time.  We got a Stern & Foster mattress and paid $1,700 on sale.  We have been pleased with it but the one thing I didn't like is we can't flip it.  Our last mattress lasted about 20 years as we could flip it, so I guess we'll be replacing this one a lot sooner.  We didn't want to buy a whole new bed so we got a really solid bed frame and a headboard and I love it.  When we move I'll probably get rid of all my beds and just get bed frames & headboards, love the look.

Honored Contributor

There are all the various mattress stores around here too but one is local & been in business 100 years.   They used to manufacture the mattresses here as well but now outsource to factories here in the USA. Their busines is very transparent, they have nothing to gain by up-selling or outright lying about their product.  You don't stay in business for 100 years by alienating your customers.

You can practically custom build your mattress & their prices are comparable to other "off the shelf" mattresses.   As long as you do your homework, know what you are looking for & do a little comparison shopping, you should be happy with a mattress purchased almost anywhere.

I agree, those mattress salesmen remind me of used car salesmen!

Super Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@butterfly123

I purchased (and will continue to purchase) from the brand Shifman. They don't have many on their site as they are preparing for a sale that starts 8/24. A sales rep will call me to arrange the sale on that date. I only buy the Extra-Firm, NON-pillowtop. This provides excellent support and can be flipped without issue.

I just replaced my mattress of 18 years (!) with a Shifman purchased at Bloomingdale's.  I wanted a mattress which is flippable, non-gel, natural materials.   After "testing" the extra-firm, I did choose a medium firm with a very small pillowtop on both sides (so can still be flipped)  The original price on the queen-size was over $9,000, but they had a 60% off sale.  With the new frame, etc., the bill came to about $4,200.  The service was excellent -- set up, old mattress and box spring taken away.  Excellent purchase and good sleep!

Honored Contributor

@BklynKinsey  Is the brand not amazing?!  I lucked out because I was expecting to pay far more but they style was being discontinuted (the new version has a gold thread in the pattern.... that's ALL that changed) and therefore purchased it at a fantastic price. I will be sticking with this brand going forward.

I looked at the one you purchased (baby pillowtops on both sides so it's flippable but it didn't come in extra-frim at the time (it may now). I would have purchased that one if it had.

Enjoy your great night sleep!!

Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter to me if you can flip it or not.  Ours you can't flip and we couldn't flip that big King thing anyway  . . . It is huge and we have a hard time finding sheets for it.

By the way, a warranty today means absolutely nothing.  ALSO, ASK the store what they do about warranties.  Normally NOTHING.  We bought a freezer in April, went out in July and we had to get their repairman to "fix" it.  THREE months old, or a little less, and they wouldn't replace the freezer.  SO guess what?  Yep!  THAWED city.

We have encountered that before.  Once with a mattress.  Be sure to get all the specifics before you believe anything about the word "warranty" in this world.

Most of us don't have a choice of where to buy a mattress or what brands to buy.