Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just when you think you've heard it all...

[ Edited ]

Families must visit as many places as possible before placing their loved one in any assisted care or skilled care facility. The administration and care giving varies considerably, as do the monthly costs. We also checked daily at various times and during different schedules of staff. The difference in care was amazing and during our monthly meetings (yes, we had those), we brought it to the head RN and other pertinent mgmt. people involved.

At first, we could have written a few horror stories! Life for our family member wasn't going to go on like that. We brought it to their attention immediately and made sure the problems were addressed and corrected for all patients. I helped write new policies and procedures for both employees and families. (Many families felt they could drop their loved ones off and "forget" them. Families must take a responsible part in their loved one's health care.) 

It took a lot of time and effort of family members (my son and I), but it was worth the peace of mind knowing the care received was excellent. If AL or SC had questions, they would call me or my son. We were always available (24/7) and willing to drive over if necessary or meet mom at the hospital. WE made those decisions; not the RN's. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

As the number of assisted living, etc facilities multiply, many places who have trained and checked employees religiously are finding their employees enticed away to new places. Pay is of course key. How many people truly value elder and child caregivers?
Honored Contributor

This world has gone CRAZY!!! Woman Mad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Families must visit as many places as possible before placing their loved one in any assisted care or skilled care facility. The administration and care giving varies considerably, as do the monthly costs. We also checked daily at various times and during different schedules of staff. The difference in care was amazing and during our monthly meetings (yes, we had those), we brought it to the head RN and other pertinent mgmt. people involved.

At first, we could have written a few horror stories! Life for our family member wasn't going to go on like that. We brought it to their attention immediately and made sure the problems were addressed and corrected for all patients. I helped write new policies and procedures for both employees and families. (Many families felt they could drop their loved ones off and "forget" them. Families must take a responsible part in their loved one's health care.) 

It took a lot of time and effort of family members (my son and I), but it was worth the peace of mind knowing the care received was excellent. If AL or SC had questions, they would call me or my son. We were always available (24/7) and willing to drive over if necessary or meet mom at the hospital. WE made those decisions; not the RN's. 

@BirkiLady ...Good for you BirkLady, you are 100% correct in that family members must make sure their loved ones are being properly taken care of.  It deeply saddens me when I hear of elderly and/or disabled people being abused by the very people their lives are enrusted to.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

We must protect our loved ones at all times, if they can't do it for themselves. Because of things like this. Visit as often as you can if you are lucky enough to still have your loved ones.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

Not only sickening but incredibly stupid as well.  Did they not think that by posting this on social media they wouldn't get caught???!!!  

@haddon9  I work in a nursing home and believe it or not that's how we find out about a lot of the wrong doing.

@panda1234   Sad & unbelievable!

Yes it is @haddon9 .

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@BirkiLady  Just a comment on checking up on your family member at different times. That is an excellent idea but in my facility bad things happen on the 11-7 shift. We had a family that was there everyday, all day long.....never missed. I won't say what happened but they had to be told their loved one was abused, the State is investagating and they are taking us to court. All this took place on the 11-7 shift even with cameras rolling.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@panda1234  We certainly didn't stay all day, every day! Mom needed her care, PT, sleep, meals, whirlpool baths, etc. We would have been in the way of her caregivers if we stayed move than 30-45 minutes.

During my stays, I made sure her clothes for the next day were ready, her meals for the following day were scheduled, usually trimmed any facial hairs, gave her a moisturing treatment and, if needed, we'd do a manicure. Each week (on Wednesday's) I'd take her downstairs to the beauty salon for her hair appointment. Most of my visits were either "girl stuff" and I'd read to her (newspaper, latest updates from relatives and friends, her mail which came to my home, etc.) That wore her out! She'd be happy to fall asleep and I'd leave. 

Other visits included going to Dr. appointments, of course, which my son and I took mom together in his comfortable dealer vehicles. They were more comfortable for mom and able to carry her walker (and later, her wheelchair), which my car could not accommodate. 

My son would also pop in for quick (10-minute visits) before or after work. Since he opens and closes the dealership on various days, it could be as early as 5:30-6:00 AM or as late as 11:00 PM.

If the RN's called either of us, we arrived anytime, anyday. Often, I would stop on my home home from a late-night concert or night out. My friend  was willing to wait in the waiting room for me, knowing mom was a night owl and loved my visits and reports on our latest excursion! I would only stay 10-15 minutes before we'd leave for a late-night drink. 

I can't imagine why you are being sued. 

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@panda1234  We certainly didn't stay all day, every day! Mom needed her care, PT, sleep, meals, whirlpool baths, etc. We would have been in the way of her caregivers if we stayed move than 30-45 minutes.

During my stays, I made sure her clothes for the next day were ready, her meals for the following day were scheduled, usually trimmed any facial hairs, gave her a moisturing treatment and, if needed, we'd do a manicure. Each week (on Wednesday's) I'd take her downstairs to the beauty salon for her hair appointment. Most of my visits were either "girl stuff" and I'd read to her (newspaper, latest updates from relatives and friends, her mail which came to my home, etc.) That wore her out! She'd be happy to fall asleep and I'd leave. 

Other visits included going to Dr. appointments, of course, which my son and I took mom together in his comfortable dealer vehicles. They were more comfortable for mom and able to carry her walker (and later, her wheelchair), which my car could not accommodate. 

My son would also pop in for quick (10-minute visits) before or after work. Since he opens and closes the dealership on various days, it could be as early as 5:30-6:00 AM or as late as 11:00 PM.

If the RN's called either of us, we arrived anytime, anyday. Often, I would stop on my home home from a late-night concert or night out. My friend  was willing to wait in the waiting room for me, knowing mom was a night owl and loved my visits and reports on our latest excursion! I would only stay 10-15 minutes before we'd leave for a late-night drink. 

I can't imagine why you are being sued. 

@BirkiLady  Yes, the family was camped out and in the way of staff, you know how small the rooms are.  I am not involved in direct care but since the woman was so difficult due to her condition, maybe they thought being there would help the staff out. Sounds like what you did with your mom was very nice and your mom enjoyed it.

As far as being sued, let me just say you have no idea what goes on. The work ethic today is awful and sometimes people do stupid things. We are getting sued often and when we have an occurrence it is reported to the State immediately. Needless to say,  they are in investigating on a regular basis. 

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234  Why did you allow them to camp out day in and day out. They sound like lawsuits waiting to happen. Were they self-paying? I dought it!

I'm so sorry to hear of this mess. I'm not aware of any lawsuits in the 13 years we had mom in Assisted Living and one year in Skilled Care.

Yes, we checked. But the care mom received was outstanding OR we would have moved her!

When there were problems (in the first 2-3 months), they were addressed in our monthly meetings (or a special meeting, if necessary). Nothing festered or was left hidden by either side. Both sides worked diligently to resolve the issues for mom's best health care. The communication worked well for everyone concerned.

Don't know about other families and how they handled their problems. I didn't ask and stayed out of the gossip mill.