Esteemed Contributor

Just found out about 15 minutes ago that

My daughters husband has been offered a promotion at his place of employment. Right now he works for a company here where we live in NC but the company is based in Austin, TX. This job would be a lot more travel but would mean eventually moving (with in a year or two) to Austin. Been to Austin many times and it is a wonderful town. I am really happy for him as he has worked hard for this and done a lot to help this company get off the ground here. I am so happy for him because I know how much this means to him and I know how hard he worked for it. This was supposed to go to his boss but today they asked him. 

Inside, I feel like crying. While I am happy for him, I know what I have known for a long time. They probably won't be here for long. I am very close with my daughter, son in law and my almost 2 yr old grandson. I see them every single day and our lives will change a lot if they decide to accept this. At first he will just be traveling quite a bit but eventually they will move. 

They haven't discussed the details of salary, bonuses, etc... and my daughter and son in law are talking tonight on how much would be the magic number. 

I am lucky enough to be in a position where I could fly to visit them often but that is not the same as living in the same town. It will be really rough not seeing them every day and having family dinners several times a week. Along with my mom, husband, sister and her family, we see each other often and they are as close with them as they are me. It will be hard not just on me but all of us. 

You raise your children to be independent and go after their dreams, travel and see the world. It is just hard when that actually happens. I was a single mom and it was just her and I for a long time. When her husband came along, he fit perfectly. I love him very much and I will miss seeing him just as much. And my grandson, well that is going to be so hard. 

I AM very happy for them. I am very sad though too at the prospect of how much will change. 

Woo.... I have a lump in my throat. Thanks guys, I just had to get that out. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

Re: Just found out about 15 minutes ago that

That's great for your son-in-law! He's very fortunate because this job market is so tough. So are you since will be able to fly to their new home. Look at it this way, you'll be so excited everytime you get to visit. I've heard Austin is a great city.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Austin is a great place -  your visits will be so looked forward to - by you and the younger generations.  you all  are just moving to a new and exciting  level.  the relationships will remain strong, i am sure.  and all of you will grow with the changes.

Honored Contributor

I hear you..things will change.  Almost 3 years ago, my son and dil moved about 1000 miles away.  They had no children t the time, so we're able to come back for frequent visits.  Now they have two little ones, and it's hard to only look at them in Instagram.  I want to hold them!

Please pardon the typos.  It seems we still can't edit!

Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

That's great for your son-in-law! He's very fortunate because this job market is so tough. So are you since will be able to fly to their new home. Look at it this way, you'll be so excited everytime you get to visit. I've heard Austin is a great city.

It IS a great city and I AM excited for both of them. I really am. It is just hard when someone you are close to moves. I know I will survive and we will all be ok. It just takes time to get used to a new normal. On a positive note, I LOVE Austin so now I will have a reason to visit more often!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201, I think you know the answer to the upheaval in your emotions right now, just re-read what you wrote in the Positivity thread. You will be fine! You raised your daughter with wings, not shackles. You can visit most any time, and you never know what opportunities the future holds, maybe a move back to NC for them, or a move to Austin for you. Or a new familiarity with FaceTime or Skype! It is difficult, letting go, but your palpable support will mean the world to them.

image.gif

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @ms traditional and @september, I know you are all absolutely right. I just had to get it out and tell someone. It was a surprise.

JFK
Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201  hey, i can relate!  i got teary-eyed reading your post.  the good thing is that you will adjust -  but i totally feel your emotional state, and know that you are just plain NORMAL!

Honored Contributor

Just thought I'd mention that although my son and his family don't live in Austin, he works for a company that's based there.  He goes there quite often and works from home the rest of the time.  If they were to relocate, they'd likely go there, since they like it so much. 

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 - wow how time flies....I remember when you were so worried about her during the ice storm and she was pregnant and commuting at the time.....you are a go-getter and this set-back won't stop you from remaining in their lives......maybe a move for you in the future?????? 

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G