Frequent Contributor

Re: Just curious ... Re: elderly parents

I just had to laugh because when my dad had surgery over 2 years ago (at age 82)  my sister and I both just moved in bag and baggage. We told dad we were having a slumber party at their house, then camped out in the living room on an air mattress.....we are both in our late 50's.  He liked us being there just in case he became anxious.

Valued Contributor

@PurpleBunny@It isn't being too sensitive, it's feeling a little hurt they didn't see how you were faring. My sister recently had minor surgery and my sisters all  checked in with calls just to ease our minds. . Now that we've lost our parents, it's just nice to keep that family togetherness

Respected Contributor

@DianeJ2 wrote:

@PurpleBunny@It isn't being too sensitive, it's feeling a little hurt they didn't see how you were faring. My sister recently had minor surgery and my sisters all  checked in with calls just to ease our minds. . Now that we've lost our parents, it's just nice to keep that family togetherness

Awh thanks Diane. It was actually my dad. And I was hurt FOR him that nobody else checked on him.  I just didn't "get" how they weren't concerned. I'm more like you and your sisters. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

I was an only, and I used to think that it would be nice to have a sibling to help . I was surprised to learn that many of my friends with siblings never got any help with their parents. It always seems to be one person who carries the load. I don't mean to generalize, be I've seen it too often for it to be a rarity.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I was an only, and I used to think that it would be nice to have a sibling to help . I was surprised to learn that many of my friends with siblings never got any help with their parents. It always seems to be one person who carries the load. I don't mean to generalize, be I've seen it too often for it to be a rarity.

Absolutely right. I've noticed it too when talking with people. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

Valued Contributor

@PurpleBunnny Yes, you would fit right in with us 🙂 if we knew your dad, we would have called to wish him well! Your siblings will one day wish they had the chance again, trust me.  We luckily got to with our dad, even in the challenging times with him....hugs to your dad!

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Yes I would call but since my 90 year old mother lives in south Florida and refuses to move up near me in Pa I can't run down to see her each time something minor happens.

She lives alone but has aides come in each day to help out.

@haddon9, no offense or anthing but I could understand why a 90 year old woman would want to stay in her own home or apartment in Florida where the winter climate is more comfortable for her.

Respected Contributor

What's behind the question? Do I sense hurt feelings? Need more info.

Honored Contributor

Compassion 101

♥Surface of the Sun♥