Honored Contributor

When this was initially being filmed, I thought 'why Joy Mangano?'  

There are a...oh...gazillion people in the world who have an amazing, inspirational, rags to riches story.....why Joy Mangano?   

I can't help but think, some how some way, HSN/QVC & their parent companies have a strong financial interest in this major movie.  

It's been said by many..."Hollywood is running out of ideas"....so I'm glad it's not a remake of a remake that seem to fill the theater screens these days.

But it still makes me wonder & just doesn't make sense....why Joy Mangano?  

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom  You could very well be right. I have to think though that the personalities and family dynamic must be interesting. 

Honored Contributor

Re: 'Joy' movie: Oscar Buzz

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

There are a...oh...gazillion people in the world who have an amazing, inspirational, rags to riches story.....why Joy Mangano?   

I can't help but think, some how some way, HSN/QVC & their parent companies have a strong financial interest in this major movie.  

It's been said by many..."Hollywood is running out of ideas"....so I'm glad it's not a remake of a remake that seem to fill the theater screens these days.

Because she has an interesting story.

I don't think a film made by this award winning director has anything to do with selling mops and huggable hangers!

Honored Contributor

Like you said, these are heavy hitters, the actors, and the director, has to be something very worthwhile here.

Honored Contributor

Most people dont watch H s n and never heard of Joy Mangano.  I've seen the promo about 50 times so far and while the movies looks interesting, I doubt that I'll spend $15 on a ticket.  I'll watch it on cable next summer.

Trusted Contributor

I might see this.  I'm just glad that Jennifer Lawrence isn't mimicking the real-life Joy's voice.  It seems like she's lived a very interesting life.

Respected Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Because she has an interesting story.

I don't think a film made by this award winning director has anything to do with selling mops and huggable hangers!

Exactly. I don't think the interest in this movie will depend on people who actually know who Joy is -- as you have stated, it all has to do with the story and the people involved with making it. (Silver LInings Playbook is one of our favorite movies -- we have watched it, in whole or in part, more times than I can count. Every time we come across it on cable, we can't help but stop and watch, and we own it too. Love it!)

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Maybe the thought is that she already has a built in base audience through her home shopping exposure.  And if those people tell a couple of people and then those people tell a couple of people it may be easier than usual to build word of mouth recognition.

I won't be seeing it in the theatres but I definitely will watch it one day . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

No, I have no interest in the life of Joy Mangano.

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

No, I have no interest in the life of Joy Mangano.

Nor do I.  I'm not a fan of Jennifer Lawrence either.