Respected Contributor

Re: Journalists at Sochi are live-tweeting their hilarious and gross hotel experiences.

On 2/5/2014 tansy said: Wonder how Putin thought he could pull this off successfully.

I was thinking the exact same thing. He should have spent the next few years upgrading the infrastructure before lobbying to hold the Olympics there.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Re: Journalists at Sochi are live-tweeting their hilarious and gross hotel experiences.

On 2/5/2014 Caravaggio said:

Hacking the horrors...I guess if the US gov't does it via the NSA etc it is OK but if a foreign state does it is so wrong... glad the journalist are being made uncomfortable like the rest of us..

True...I am not one bit worried about the discomfort of the reporters.

I am concerned for the athletes with unsafe conditions...especially since the Olympics are only every 4 years. To pull out now might mean... they will never be in another Olympics...so much can happen in 4 yrs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Frequent Contributor

I am a huge fan of skating but have decided not to watch this year..it's the killing of any stray dogs they see that sealed it. I think many people have the same gut feelings..it's not a matter IF something scary/tragic happens during these Olympics, it's WHERE, WHEN, and HOW {#emotions_dlg.bored}

Respected Contributor

Hacking the horrors...I guess if the US gov't does it via the NSA etc it is OK but if a foreign state does it is so wrong...{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} glad the journalist are being made uncomfortable like the rest of us..

It is incredibly ironic that Snowden was so outraged about violating rights by government that he ended up in Russia, a place lacking in a multitude of freedoms and habitually stomping on rights.

Go figure.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2014 Mersha said:

Hacking the horrors...I guess if the US gov't does it via the NSA etc it is OK but if a foreign state does it is so wrong...{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} glad the journalist are being made uncomfortable like the rest of us..

It is incredibly ironic that Snowden was so outraged about violating rights by government that he ended up in Russia, a place lacking in a multitude of freedoms and habitually stomping on rights.

Go figure.

Good point, Mersha.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

What are your expectations for the Olympics at Rio?

Super Contributor

I just feel so bad for all of the Olympic athletes. This is like the bargain basement Olympics... I mean Russia knew they were selected so long ago, they have had 4 years to prepare, and they are still not ready. What with all the security concerns and poor planning, it doesn't bode well. Certainly not like the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver where everything was first class. It's almost like you are moving into a new home and they are still putting the roof on. I hope that the participants can make the best of it, that they stay safe without any terrorist activities, and can return home with some wonderful experiences and funny stories to share.

Super Contributor

I'm not surprised if there are certain things like accommodations not ready. All the hoopla about the Olympics being in Sochi and the propaganda that followed worked in Russia. But you can't fool the whole world Mr. Putin. It'll eventually come back and bite you in the tush (apparently has now).

Don't be down on the Russian people. They can only do so much. I am sure they are embarrassed and frustrated about what is happening. What? Should they take to the streets and protest the conditions? PFFT. The Olympians ain't in Kansas anymore. That's a real shame about Shuan White.

Super Contributor

On 2/5/2014 Jules5280 said:

I just feel so bad for all of the Olympic athletes. This is like the bargain basement Olympics... I mean Russia knew they were selected so long ago, they have had 4 years to prepare, and they are still not ready. What with all the security concerns and poor planning, it doesn't bode well. Certainly not like the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver where everything was first class. It's almost like you are moving into a new home and they are still putting the roof on. I hope that the participants can make the best of it, that they stay safe without any terrorist activities, and can return home with some wonderful experiences and funny stories to share.

It's even worse than that. They were chosen in 2007 so they've had about 6 1/2 years!

Respected Contributor

Some of what they are tweeting is comical ....some is just disgusting. They obviously aren't prepared in any way for all these people.