Regular Contributor

Re: John Hinckley, Jr. releasted, going to Virginia to live

Quoting the Federal Judge he said it was a difficult decision but "The court finds by preponderance of evidence the Mr. Hinckley presents no danger to himself or others in the reasonable future if released.  My question is what is the reasonable future 6mos, 1yr. 5yrs. before something could possibly happen again?

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Robert Frost

Honored Contributor

Of note:

Two women who were actually convicted of assassination attempts on Gerald Ford have been out of prison for several years now.

Squeaky Fromme was given a life sentence but was released in 2009. She had ties to Charles Manson and another murder she was never charged with.

Sara Jane Moore was also given a life sentence but released in 2007.

Neither one was legally declared mentally ill, both had escape attempts while in prison, both are out and we didn't hear much about it. 

But now we want to keep a guy locked up forever because he's mentally ill? That just doesn't seem right to me.

Respected Contributor

Very interesting link @ChynnaBlue thanks!

Honored Contributor

He has been deemed worthy of re-entry into society, had he shot anyone else.......he'd have been released decades ago imo.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What if he had not shot a president,and had shot the average guy,how would you feel?Don't forget he shot brady,that changed his life forever.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

About 10 years ago we had a lady who was doing good on meds so she was allowed to live alone and check in at the health center to get her meds and a review.  Her friends reported to them she had said she stopped taking the meds because she no longer needed them.  Not true,needed for life.  The HD told her friends that they had no right to force her to take meds she did not want.  In time she got out of hand with the friends who then reported to the HD.  They called the police and asked them to go check on her.  They did and a hugh price was paid.  As the officer came in she met him with a large knife and killed him.  His partner who was behind him shot her.  Two lives lost because people have to be so understanding of the rights of the mentally ill.  Young children who have no father and a young woman with no husband.  Caring friends who lost someone very special to them because the HD let her fall through the cracks.  Most people with a mental illness are still very smart in their own and they know how to play games with those around them.  It was later said that she should have been made to come to the HD and take the meds with them watching.  ?????  I have had experience with a person who would hide their meds in their cheeks where we couldn't see them when we checked.  Many questions, many different experiences, many efforts to be kind and caring but every case is different as we are working with individuals.   I do worry about his living with his 90 year old mother.  I pray that she can handle the situation without stress and that she is safe.

Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

About 10 years ago we had a lady who was doing good on meds so she was allowed to live alone and check in at the health center to get her meds and a review.  Her friends reported to them she had said she stopped taking the meds because she no longer needed them.  Not true,needed for life.  The HD told her friends that they had no right to force her to take meds she did not want.  In time she got out of hand with the friends who then reported to the HD.  They called the police and asked them to go check on her.  They did and a hugh price was paid.  As the officer came in she met him with a large knife and killed him.  His partner who was behind him shot her.  Two lives lost because people have to be so understanding of the rights of the mentally ill.  Young children who have no father and a young woman with no husband.  Caring friends who lost someone very special to them because the HD let her fall through the cracks.  Most people with a mental illness are still very smart in their own and they know how to play games with those around them.  It was later said that she should have been made to come to the HD and take the meds with them watching.  ?????  I have had experience with a person who would hide their meds in their cheeks where we couldn't see them when we checked.  Many questions, many different experiences, many efforts to be kind and caring but every case is different as we are working with individuals.   I do worry about his living with his 90 year old mother.  I pray that she can handle the situation without stress and that she is safe.

But you can't keep people in a mental health facility because they might possibly some day stop taking their meds. If that was the case every person with manic depression or other serious mental health issues would spend their entire life in an institution, like in the old days. Society has a horrendous record of imprisioning the mentally ill in institutions and subjecting them to all kinds of horrific experiments. We shouldn't go back to that. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@NYwoman wrote:

Wasn't he declared guilty by reason of insanity?    The Judge feels that he is SANE?   Really.......    And will he be monitored?    His parents can;t do that.    This Judge may regret this but not until some innocent person gets hurt.

And Virginia's Governor wants releades felons to vote!    He was stopped for now.

There's no such thing as guilty by reason of insanity. You cannot be guilty if you are found to be legally insane because you cannot form proper intent, determine right from wrong, or determine fantasy from reality. To be found not guilty due to insanity or mental defect is a specific legal term with specific criteria and not a medical term. 

How do you know mom can't monitor him? Do you know her circumstances or his?

Sorry but you are incorrect.  Several states allow a guilty but insane verdict including as I recall, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Utah and maybe a couple of others.  That way when the doctors decide the person is no longer mentally ill or their mental illness is controlled, the person can be imprisoned.  

Valued Contributor

What a shame that this man will be able to get his hands on another weapon if he wants one.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

What a shame that this man will be able to get his hands on another weapon if he wants one.

He has already had 'access' truth be told, I'm perplexed about all this hand wringing going on considering the amount of other ex-patients roaming among us.