Super Contributor

Re: Jayne Mansfield and Tony Randall

I watched a show about her on The Biography Channel a few years back and there were pictures of her during her first marriage and before she was a blonde. That's when it really hit me how much her daughter resembles her.

Great pics, Lotus!

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/25/2014 scotttie said:

Anybody know why Jayne named her daughter ""Mariska?"" (I know I could look it up but it's more fun to have a conversation.)

It's Hungarian. Her father was a Hungarian bodybuilder. One of her brother's name is Zoltan.

Respected Contributor

On 6/25/2014 qbetzforreal said:

Anybody know why Jayne named her daughter ""Mariska?"" (I know I could look it up but it's more fun to have a conversation.)

It's Hungarian. Her father was a Hungarian bodybuilder. One of her brother's name is Zoltan.

Thank you. I didn't realize Mickey was Hungarian.

Respected Contributor

On 6/25/2014 Lucky Charm said:

Rumors spread that Jayne was decapitated in the auto accident, however she wasn't.

Joan Rivers made a very very nasty comment on her show (the one with Melissa) about people sightseeing stars homes and if they went by Jayne Mansfield's house you 'could see her head roll down the driveway'. (But I know, Joan gets a pass here.)

Anyway, the back of all tractor trailers now have a bar across the back to help prevent cars from going completely underneath of them on impact. The bar is referred to as the Mansfield Bar.

I did not know that. I do know someone who was killed that way but he didn't go under from the back.

Esteemed Contributor

Just found this one. This is how she looked in the Hitchcock role.

Wow, her daughter does look just like her!!

Respected Contributor

Thank you Lotus. Those pictures tell it all!

I will say when I went googling for pictures....I did get an ""eyefull"" !!

You're welcome scottie......I got an 'eyeful' too.....but she WAS a very beautiful woman. I remember when I was a kid hearing about ""who was more beautiful....MM or JM?"" I think they were equally as beautiful in their own way. Jayne had a ""harder"" look....Marilyn had a softer beauty.

Reese that's a GREAT photo....I didn't see that when I was googling......very reminiscent of the early Marilyn Monroe look. It kind of makes one wonder direction their lives would have gone had they not become blondes.

Both died so young and tragically. I also remember being horrified as a kid hearing about the ""decapitation"". When I was googling I found a Youtube video that included the undertaker who embalmed her and he said she as definitely not decapitated.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

I've always thought Mariska was prettier, and her dad is a GREAT looking guy too!
Super Contributor

Lotus, I remember that decapitation story, too! I was staying at my aunt's house and a picture of the car she was riding in was on the front page with the story of her horrible demise. It's only been in the past couple of years that I heard that it was not true.

I wish I had known that then, it gave me nightmares!

I agree that she was a beautiful woman. How tragic that her life was cut so short and her children lost their mom so young.

Respected Contributor

As a child, I was also haunted by the grisly reports of Jayne's death. I'm happy to hear that the beheading aspect was false. I always thought she was such a pretty woman and felt so bad for her children.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."