Super Contributor

Re: J. C. Penney Is Closing 33 Stores

They're not closing as far as I know, just down-sizing for now. It's a good idea.

-HIFSmile

Honored Contributor

Seems to me part of the problem is the lack of stores already. When it was convenient, and I was already at the mall, I used to go in and would usually end up buying things I had no intention of buying. I was often pleasantly surprised by what I saw in the store, but there are so few stores. I used to shop the website a lot more than I do now. I like Penny's for home goods, but there are only so many home goods one needs... I saw the list of stores closing and I'm glad none are in my area, even if I rarely make it to one of the malls where they're located. I think it remains to be seen whether this will help or whether this is just the beginning of the end for another retailer.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2014 Rainbows and Roses said:

Is there a list of JCP stores closing? I just hate it when a company closes..........

I found this list on-line posted by USA Today...

Selma, Ala. -- Selma Mall

Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. -- Arrow Plaza

Colorado Springs -- Chapel Hills Mall

Meriden, Conn. -- Meriden Square

Leesburg, Fla. -- Lake Square Mall

Port Richey, Fla. -- Gulf View Square

Muscatine, Iowa -- Muscatine Mall

Bloomingdale, Ill. -- Stratford Square Mall

Forsyth, Ill. -- Hickory Point Mall

Marion, Ind. -- Five Points Mall

Warsaw, Ind. -- Marketplace Shopping Center

Salisbury, Md. -- The Centre at Salisbury

Marquette, Mich. -- Westwood Plaza

Worthington, Minn. -- Northland Mall

Gautier, Miss. -- Singing River Mall

Natchez, Miss. -- Natchez Mall

Butte, Mont. -- Butte Plaza Shopping Center

Cut Bank, Mont.

Kinston, N.C. -- Vernon Park Mall

Burlington, N.J. -- Burlington Center

Phillipsburg, N.J. -- Phillipsburg Mall

Wooster, Ohio -- Wayne Towne Plaza

Exton, Pa. -- Exton Square Mall

Hazleton, Pa. -- LaurelMall

Washington, Pa. -- Washington Mall

Chattanooga -- Northgate Mall

Bristol, Va. -- Bristol Mall

Norfolk, Va. -- Military Circle Mall

Fond du Lac, Wis., Forest Mall

Janesville, Wis. -- Janesville Mall

Rhinelander, Wis. -- Lincoln Plaza Center

Rice Lake, Wis. -- Cedar Mall

Wausau, Wis. -- Wausau Mall

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Heiress, looks like these stores ARE indeed closing, not downsizing.

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2014 CrazyDaisy said:
On 1/15/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 1/15/2014 kittykatkay said:

I haven't shopped in JC Penny's in about a year. I wish this economy was better...too many stores closing and people being laid off.

This doesn't seem to be about the economy. The same thing came up a few days ago with Macy's and wasn't about the economy, either.

How can it not be about the economy.

Increase in online shopping

Dissatisfaction with Penney's merchandise.

The dumb move several months ago with coupons, customers left in droves.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Super Contributor

We have a JCP here, and surprisingly it was not on that list. I would think it might be since we are a small city, and it is in a mall competing with Dillard's. Also we have a Walmart and Sam's Club not far from it. I don't shop at the mall, so it doesn't effect me either way, but it is obviously jobs for people. I am glad to see our store not on the list, perhaps it gets enough business to keep it open.

Super Contributor

Just an FYI:

If you have a JCP credit card, you can still use it at all Rite Aid stores.

Personally, I never go to a JCP brick & morter stores; I only shop JCP online, and only with free shipping to home. I do miss their catalog centers that used to be at Eckerd, but they still do free shipping to some non-USPS shipping locations.

Honored Contributor

I can't say I'm surprised, as the quality of JCP merchandise had declined over the decades to be about equal to that of Target or Walmart. I remember the day when JCP had great quality products, and the atmosphere and service of a finer department store. It was that upper middle class retailer that was above Montgomery Ward and Sears, but just barely below Macy's and Lazarus (anyone in the Ohio area still miss Lazarus like I do?)

Most JCP's I see are in malls where the rent is high, but the quality of merchandise isn't supporting that rent. I am sorry to see the decline, but haven't spent more than $100 in JCP over the last decade. Don't care to shop online with them either.

I am sorry for the loss of jobs, as that is never a good thing.

Super Contributor

i only see JCP when i am passing by it in the mall - on my way to another store! i have not bothered to shop there in years! it was not one of the two here in Ms that are going to be closed.

Esteemed Contributor

The only times I go into a JCP is to the Sephora store inside. I've never been a JCP shopper and can't see spending $$$ there when I can get better quality and style at other stores for the same $$$.

I hate to see the employees losing a job due to the lack of vision or whatever from the top guys.