Honored Contributor

Re: It Is Not Fall Yet

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but for some of us autumn is giving us a sneak peek.  Here in Albuquerque, the temperature's dropping and we're already getting some fall color.  Soon we'll be stocking our roasted green chile.

It's my favorite season, so I can't wait until it's official.

Ye[p, it's currently in the 60s here and raining. And it's supposed to rain all week. It's cooling off. I'm sure we'll get more heat before fall really hits but I'm enjoying it. Besides, fall never gets it's full 90ish days anyway, everyone acts like winter starts in November. And admittedly we had snow before Thanksgiving a year or two ago. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

When I was a kid in school summer was over when I went back to school. I don't have kids so for me it is still summer until the end of September. Where I live it is still very warm and humid and they say Sept will be warm too. I don't live by the school calendar, I guess it is assumed by some people that most people do. Plus I am a caregiver for my elderly Mom who was very ill last year starting in April, so I didn't have a summer last year and want to hold onto this one as long as possible.

I heard someone on QVC say yesterday "we are breaking out the boots now". I know it is just a sales tactic but it sounded so silly. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

It's not Fall here in So CA.  We have predictions of the 100's this week.  We never really have a winter.  I don't need the winter coats, sweaters, etc. 

It's easy to see why the Fall/Xmas push is on - it's for your money.  Period.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

I think it's a chronic problem in our culture to look forward too far too soon. We don't enjoy the "now" of things. I'm sure it feels like fall to the kids who are no longer at the beach because they have to go back to classrooms......but yes. It's still summer until the middle of September. It FEELS like summer......and technically it is. 

I feel similar about Christmas. It used to be that Thanksgiving was Thanksgiving and then a couple weeks later it began to be about Christmas. Now Christmas seems to have swallowed up everything as soon as Halloween is over. I get that people are busy and need time to decorate and enjoy the lights and decor, but Thanksgiving is no longer what it used to be. It now seems to be the official start to the Christmas season. People take down all their decorations before the season is even over (New Year's Day in our family) because they've been up too long and they are sick of them by the day after Christmas. 

To each their own, but to ME, it would be nice if we could enjoy every holiday for what it is, and every season for what it is.

Respected Contributor

@jclark73 wrote:

Anyone remember the days before schools were air conditioned? It was HOT! But it was still Fall because we were in school. I went to an air conditioned school for the first time my Senior year.

Many schools still don't have air, or have air in only part of the building.  That's how it is in my children's schools.  When they went back to school this year it was in the mid nineties.

Respected Contributor

@jclark73 wrote:

Anyone remember the days before schools were air conditioned? It was HOT! But it was still Fall because we were in school. I went to an air conditioned school for the first time my Senior year.

The schools in my community are still not air conditioned, except for the high school.  Worse, they have little means to really get fresh air moving though the classrooms the way the building were designed back in the 50s and 60s.  I honestly worry about my grandchildren during these awful hot days.  There have been a couple of early dismissals already.

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:
@jaxs mom I get the reality, but I don't have to like it LOL! Wonder how/when this happened. Its gotta be all about the money.

@PhilaLady1

It's always been like this ....  and is due, in part, to warehousing and shipping schedules of retailers.   What Halloween goodies aren't on the sales floor, are in the stockroom, in most cases.  Same for Thanksgiving goodies.  The Christmas items are in warehouses ready to ship, so when they arrive at stores, anything in the stockrooms will have to go on the sales floor, regardless of the date.

Retailers have always been about 8 weeks ahead, if my memory serves me.  This is nothing new.    You can also bet serious money that there will be bathing suits in the stores in February.   Think of it as a "preview" for the coming season and keep walking.  No biggie.

Honored Contributor

I don't care about what is offered in the stores.  It has always been that way and always will be that way. 

It bugs me that the hosts on QVC are saying that it's fall now.  It is not.  Yes kids are back in school but that doesn't make it Fall.  We are still in summer and the temps reflect that.  It is supposed to be in the 90's here Monday and Tuesday and upper 80's all next week.

I think many people think of Labor Day as the unofficial end to summer just like they think of Memorial Day as the unofficial start of summer.         

Honored Contributor

Re: It Is Not Fall Yet

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

It's not Fall here in So CA.  We have predictions of the 100's this week.  We never really have a winter.  I don't need the winter coats, sweaters, etc. 

It's easy to see why the Fall/Xmas push is on - it's for your money.  Period.

@Puzzle Piece    @PhilaLady1

I'm SO tired of the triple digit temperatures.   The kids went back to school on August 15th, so the Back To School merchandise was in stores right after the 4th of July weekend! 

Honored Contributor

I am looking ahead to fall when it comes to purchases I am making.  However, I agree that there is more of summer left to enjoy.

What I am NOT interested in at the moment is Christmas,  There is plenty of time for that in spite of the Q's high-pressure tactics to make you think the frenzy is necessary.