Respected Contributor

Re: Isis blows up 2000 year old temple in Palmyra

@muttmom wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

There's an interesting blurb for NBC Nightly News.  Lester Holt asks the question, had the US not invaded Iraq, would there be ISIS?

The former Iraqi dictator kept the opposing religious sects under his thumb.

NBC IS JUST ONE GUYS OPINION.  All the various terrorist groups were comfortable in Iraq with the former dictator.  Would have happened sooner or later. 

There was no opinion given.  It was a thought provoking question.

Tonight Richard Engel did a piece on what happens to the young ISIS recruits that defy them.  It was heartbreaking.

it was heartbreaking.  i just can not fathom the evil that is perpetuated.  Sadam Hussein kept the various factions in line.  he wasnt a choir boy but i think it took a Saddam to keep these maniacs in line.  now what do we do with them??

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
lol

What a disgusting comment.  Glad you think it's funny to destroy something like this.  And to execute a respected, elderly scholar because he refused to tell them where other antiquities were hidden?  You must find that hilarious!

You have a very strange sense of humor.  You must be very immature to have made such a comment.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Lila Belle was NOT lol'ing at the destruction or the execution.

Then for those of us who don't "know" her, it's a very strange post to make without any explanation.  Simply the title of the thread and "lol"?

Do you have any idea what she was "lol'ing" at?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
lol

What a disgusting comment.  Glad you think it's funny to destroy something like this.  And to execute a respected, elderly scholar because he refused to tell them where other antiquities were hidden?  You must find that hilarious!

You have a very strange sense of humor.  You must be very immature to have made such a comment.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Lila Belle was NOT lol'ing at the destruction or the execution.

Then for those of us who don't "know" her, it's a very strange post to make without any explanation.  Simply the title of the thread and "lol"?

Do you have any idea what she was "lol'ing" at?

lI think it might have been the post right before hers. Btw, the title of the thread shows up on every reply.

Please trust me about her. I am familiar with her posting history. And another btw, she hearted at least one of my posts here.

@Lila Belle

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I chuckled at the Lester Holt reference in the post above mine. I thought that was quite evident.
Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
Yes, I chuckled at the Lester Holt reference in the post above mine. I thought that was quite evident.

Thank you for responding but, no, I don't think it was "quite evident".   Particularly as your post came at the top of a page, so there was nothing immediately before it.  And even if there had been, I still don't think I'd have understood what you were laughing at in the previous post.

As we all know, intent can be easily misunderstood and I accept I misunderstood yours.

Respected Contributor

I was following Isis and when they took Palmyra as I am very interested in that city ~ historically, it is so rich ~ it was a crossroads for centuries.

I knew that once Isis took Palmyra it was a matter of time before they started destroying these temples ~ ignorance and hatred.  I also will add greed in there, as I believe they sold off some of the antiquities there

Oh well, ignorant religious zealots (which I view as terrorists) have and will always destroy what they don't understand.  It has happened for thousands of years, spanning many religions.  I feel a great sadness with these cities in the hands of these terrorists.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Esteemed Contributor

While the loss of human life at the hands of ISIS is the absolute worst, this just absolutely breaks my heart. The amount of years that these antiquities survived in a supposedly more uncivilized time in world history only to have this happen. So sad.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lulu2 wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

There's an interesting blurb for NBC Nightly News.  Lester Holt asks the question, had the US not invaded Iraq, would there be ISIS?

The former Iraqi dictator kept the opposing religious sects under his thumb.

I heard this sound bite earlier.  Lester Holt is not giving his (or NBC's) opinion.  He is simply asking a question.

The Sunni Ba'athists having been shut out of Iraq essentially when the Shiites took control of Iraq after Saddam was killed resulted in the formation of ISIS in Iraq and united with Ba'athists in Syria. Connect the dots.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

Thank you for responding but, no, I don't think it was "quite evident".   Particularly as your post came at the top of a page, so there was nothing immediately before it.  And even if there had been, I still don't think I'd have understood what you were laughing at in the previous post.

As we all know, intent can be easily misunderstood and I accept I misunderstood yours.

@VeneziaJust an FYI: Lily Belle's post did not come at the top of a page for me. It must depend upon your personal settings. I have mine set to see the maximum (I think it's 50) number of posts per page.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

Yes that makes perfect sense since my post was in no way funny.