Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🚫Is your birthday on Facebook? That's a bad idea.🚫

While not exactly FB related, anybody remember those commercials for Girls Gone "Crazy" dvds?

I always felt dismayed that they would trash themselves like that, because you know one day, an employer is going to do an internet search as part of a background check, or, co-workers will be like, "You look familiar. Where have I seen you before? Oh! Yeah! Now I know!"

That stuff will follow them for the rest of their lives.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

While not exactly FB related, anybody remember those commercials for Girls Gone "Crazy" dvds?

I always felt dismayed that they would trash themselves like that, because you know one day, an employer is going to do an internet search as part of a background check, or, co-workers will be like, "You look familiar. Where have I seen you before? Oh! Yeah! Now I know!"

When the "Girls Gone Wild" thing was very prevalent, in retrospect I have wondered if it was one of the causes of certain Spring Break areas making the decision that they would no longer be open to Spring Break business, and in essence saying "Move along to another city, we don't want you here." Some parent could have decided to sue a city for not having enough LE in place to prevent some of that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

What I'm thinking is, and keep in mind that I don't know much about FB:  If you post your entire real name, and happen to say something that someone out there doesn't like, that person could look up public records in your town/city and find out where you live.  I do believe that folks should probably slightly 'tweek' their names (especially children and tweens).  That way, some stranger can't 'get back at them' for saying something that the stranger just doesn't like.  I know, sounds far-fetched, but still..........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

When the "Girls Gone Wild" thing was very prevalent, in retrospect I have wondered if it was one of the causes of certain Spring Break areas making the decision that they would no longer be open to Spring Break business, and in essence saying "Move along to another city, we don't want you here." Some parent could have decided to sue a city for not having enough LE in place to prevent some of that.

Well, as long as the city approoves all of the permits, there is only so much that LE can do.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

What I'm thinking is, and keep in mind that I don't know much about FB:  If you post your entire real name, and happen to say something that someone out there doesn't like, that person could look up public records in your town/city and find out where you live.  I do believe that folks should probably slightly 'tweek' their names (especially children and tweens).  That way, some stranger can't 'get back at them' for saying something that the stranger just doesn't like.  I know, sounds far-fetched, but still..........

The point of FB for individuals is to use your real name, to connect with friends and family. It isn't, and never has been, anything like a forum or commentary place where people use pseudonyms. There's no point to being on FB, as it has been intended to be used all along, if you obscure your identity. FB actually refuses accounts to those with obviously fake identities.

If you want people to find you, you need to use your name. If you don't want people to find you, you shouldn't be on FB.

If you have your privacy settings configured properly, "someone out there" is extremely unlikely to see anything you've said. Extremely.

But yes - those who are in great fear of all that has been discussed in this thread, and believe they aren't capable of "locking down" their page as much as possible, should not be on FB.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Well, as long as the city approoves all of the permits, there is only so much that LE can do.

I doubt permits were involved much if not all of the time (phones, hidden cameras, small hand-held cameras). I think the more public they went with the ads and it became apparent how they operated, the bigger trouble they came into, legally.

Honored Contributor

Moonchild:  Yes, I guess that's why I'm not on it, lol. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY, I always recommend, to those who have doubts, that they have a family member or friend whose opinions on privacy match their own ;-) set up their FB page for them as far as all the settings, from the beginning. And I always recommend that people only send out, and okay, Friend requests from people they know "in the flesh", i.e. actual friends and family, and set it up NOT to share with "Friends of Friends" just to be extra careful, though I sometimes break that rule for myself. I also do not recommend having Friends on FB, who will come to know your real name and personal details, from places like these forums. I know it's tempting, but I would not. That's just me.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, Moonchild! Heart  Good advice, for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

I have my birthdate on FB.

1905....Woman LOL