Trusted Contributor

Re: 🚫Is your birthday on Facebook? That's a bad idea.🚫

You don't have to put your address on facebook all you need to do is put your name and your city and then do a google search. You can then come up with an address that you can put into google maps and be led right to your front door. 

I have a relative that uses facebook as a personal photo album of their life -- including the births of their children. The parents each have at least 400+ friends on their friend list and you can't tell me that they know them all well enough to know if they are all decent people. So now they've shared the pics, they have their name and hometown listed, it wouldn't be that hard for someone with evil intent to get to their kids. Too bad they can't be reasoned with to not put so much of their lives online. 

Better to be less open with information when online. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I can't even conceive of someone SO dum...er...naive that they would list their SS#, home address & phone #, mother's maiden name(!) or complete birthdate with year online in *any* social media.

And if they do so *without* knowing what they are doing, security-wise, I have to say that whatever might befall them for doing so, I can't feel that sorry for them.

Sorry - I'm sure you mean well and I don't mean to be rude, but if people don't already know these things just from common sense, before someone needs to tell them, it's hopeless.

@Moonchilde  A friend was telling me about an incident where a friend of a friend was trying to get tickets to an NBA Spurs game and put her name, address and phone number on FB so if anyone had tickets to sell they could contact her-----people told her that they hoped she had her privacy settings set for friends only ..... but no she had it set for PUBLIC viewing.....Rolling Eyes Emoticon  Some people are so trusting and don't understand the "dark side" of social media....and don't bother with privacy or security settings at all.....they are called "identify theft victims"

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I worry about a friend that uses her FB to advertise her antique shop and her FB page  has the address and has her phone number for the shop too---it's compounded because she also chats with friends and family from the same site (and many of her friends are acquaintances are also customers)---so she posts photos of herself and her shop, her friends, pets etc, her activities etc etc....she's attractive.......And she's getting all these creepy guys asking to friend her and she wondered why---at least she had the sense to not friend them (I'm glad she didn't think they were potential customers) and good thing she even checked their FB pages and saw they had no info on their profile, no friends, no photos etc so she figured out they were either scammers or up to no good....yet she wondered why she was getting all of these requests....I had to lecture her about security and safety.....I think she needs a separate FB page for her business just post strictly  merchandise photos talk about her business and leave it at that....but she won't listen....some crazy could just end up at her shop someday....scary

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

One thing you should turn off on FB is your location of where you are posting from. All those lovely photos of your vacation? People know you are not at your home! Wait till you get home to post those pictures.

@JustJazzmom  I restrict my FB page to a FEW specific relatives that live out of state so we can keep in touch--with the max privacy/security settings.....BUT I find it ALMOST laughable how my friends post their each and every move---photos of them at the movies, the restaurant, out for a day of shopping----and lots of personal and professional info---in other words ROB ME---not at home---Rolling Eyes Emoticon

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Google your name.  You might be surprised to find that your address. DOB, phone number and family members  are all public information.  You might even find your place of employment listed.  

From public records, true. Nothing to do with FB specifically.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Your friends can share what you post but you should set your privacy settings so only your friends can see your information and then certainly be mindful of what you post and who you friend. 

Honored Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

In case some people didnt know this

(we can't be too careful imho):

::

From

http://www.clark.com/how-your-facebook-profile-can-lead-to-identity

July 6 th 2016 — "You've probably heard that what you share on Facebook can come back to haunt you, but there are more dangers associated with your online activity than you probably even realize.

Maybe you don't share your Social Security number on your Facebook profile, but many people do share things like their birthday and photos of their new home.

It may seem harmless, but every little piece of information out there puts criminals one step closer to having what they need to steal your identity, your money and do even more long-term damage to your financial life.

So if you want to avoid inviting criminals into your life, here are a few things you should never share on social media:

• birthday
• home address
• phone number
• mother's maiden name
• Social Security number"

Other than birthday --why would you put any of this other stuff on facebook? Absolutely no reason to.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I can't even conceive of someone SO dum...er...naive that they would list their SS#, home address & phone #, mother's maiden name(!) or complete birthdate with year online in *any* social media.

And if they do so *without* knowing what they are doing, security-wise, I have to say that whatever might befall them for doing so, I can't feel that sorry for them.

Sorry - I'm sure you mean well and I don't mean to be rude, but if people don't already know these things just from common sense, before someone needs to tell them, it's hopeless.

@Moonchilde  A friend was telling me about an incident where a friend of a friend was trying to get tickets to an NBA Spurs game and put her name, address and phone number on FB so if anyone had tickets to sell they could contact her-----people told her that they hoped she had her privacy settings set for friends only ..... but no she had it set for PUBLIC viewing.....Rolling Eyes Emoticon  Some people are so trusting and don't understand the "dark side" of social media....and don't bother with privacy or security settings at all.....they are called "identify theft victims"

Not speaking to the situation you noted above, but I have noticed something increasingly on FB that makes me shake my head in an OMG really? way.

I will occasionally check out the 'Trending' topics. After reading the media outlet comments, you will see pages of public comments full of profanity, grammar & spelling errors, deliberately provocative stuff, etc. - all from the teens & 20s age group aiming for their 15 seconds of notoriety. Clearly every thought (if you want to call it that) they express is public and *meant to be so.* it's one big "look at me, I'm so tough/hot/whatever" party without a single thought as to repercussions. Admittedly, from their pics few looks like college or more-than-McDonalds career material, but still....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

I worry about a friend that uses her FB to advertise her antique shop and her FB page  has the address and has her phone number for the shop too---it's compounded because she also chats with friends and family from the same site (and many of her friends are acquaintances are also customers)---so she posts photos of herself and her shop, her friends, pets etc, her activities etc etc....she's attractive.......And she's getting all these creepy guys asking to friend her and she wondered why---at least she had the sense to not friend them (I'm glad she didn't think they were potential customers) and good thing she even checked their FB pages and saw they had no info on their profile, no friends, no photos etc so she figured out they were either scammers or up to no good....yet she wondered why she was getting all of these requests....I had to lecture her about security and safety.....I think she needs a separate FB page for her business just post strictly  merchandise photos talk about her business and leave it at that....but she won't listen....some crazy could just end up at her shop someday....scary

I have a family member who in a way has three FB pages. She manages a business, so she manages the FB page for the business. She has a personal page. Fairly recently she created a third page for people who have met her through the business and who wanted to Friend her, but are definitely not close friends. I thought that was a great idea. She's happy these people want to friend her, but wants to keep them separate from family and actual friends.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

I don't understand why anyone would post there business on social media such as Facebook. In the world we live in .. not a good idea.Woman Indifferent

Because many people DO business on FB.