@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@newziesuzie wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Oh well, guess I'm living on the edge.

And we know where you live Smiley Happy

And we can come for the party!

😊🎉😊

Ha! Come for the party! However, the middle of the name is FROM  as in born and raised. Try and find me now!

Lol! Maybe as a team we can find you!

I think a Q Posters party would be fun!

Specially if you're inviting us over!

🎉😊🎉

Please don't give my husband any ideas. With him it is any excuse for a party. He drives me nuts.

Respected Contributor

Re: 🚫Is your birthday on Facebook? That's a bad idea.🚫

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@newziesuzie wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@newziesuzie wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Oh well, guess I'm living on the edge.

And we know where you live Smiley Happy

And we can come for the party!

😊🎉😊

Ha! Come for the party! However, the middle of the name is FROM  as in born and raised. Try and find me now!

Lol! Maybe as a team we can find you!

I think a Q Posters party would be fun!

Specially if you're inviting us over!

🎉😊🎉

Please don't give my husband any ideas. With him it is any excuse for a party. He drives me nuts.

Is he like mine?  He goes to the liquor store, wipes off the top of the bar, and thinks that's all there is to it.

Respected Contributor

I can't believe anyone would or would need to be told not to, but thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy You got it, although he can be persuaded to do more. LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I had a dollar for each time I have to gently mention to a friend or family member about a few of these bits of data (and more things not mentioned in the article) I'd be getting rich by now.   And I can't stereotype those who don't have their info secure...  they come from all walks of life, all sorts of experience, education, brain power, whatever.   I have to agree, though, that I see a lot of complacency (I don't mean here -- I mean on Facebook).   In my case, I've never listed my actual date of birth, nor my full name, nor phone number/address.   My email address is hidden.  I do not fill out any of the "personal profile" info.   I have the privacy for my friends list set to "only me."

I began my Facebook account with family members and a few "actual" friends.   Then I joined some official groups or pages established for things like my various schools and career associations.   With those basic foundations, the "6 degrees of separation" began to work.  I "friend" only those I actually know.   It's been very rewarding to get back in touch with folks I'd lost contact with over time.  

So, these pieces of data listed in the OP are not necessary to get the benefits of Facebook.

The article posted in this thread is very basic, but for what it's worth (coming from my IT security background, at least) it needs to be repeated often.  I share similar info (wash/rinse/repeat) on my Timeline on a regular basis.

There's been an increase in what's called "Facebook cloning" in recent months.   That's what you see when a friend's profile has been copied, their friends list accessed, and the fake account shoots out as many friend requests as possible as quickly as possible to all their friends.  The scammers cast a fast, wide net, gain access to as many accounts as possible when people unknowingly accept the tainted friend request, and hastily vaccum up as much info as they can.  You'd be surprised how many people simply accept the friend request, since it appears to come from a known entity.   

The security/privacy problems don't keep me from using the service, but it is pretty important to keep getting the word out.  JMO, YMMV.  

And thanks, @newziesuzie, for wanting to share something which might be beneficial.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

One thing you should turn off on FB is your location of where you are posting from. All those lovely photos of your vacation? People know you are not at your home! Wait till you get home to post those pictures.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Another thing that bothers me is when people post wake or funeral information for everyone to see! It just announces to the world you won't be home at such and such times. And it's even worse if it's someone who is a 'friend' who is posting this!

People that need to find out that kind of info should be in private messaging to the person who has that info. 

And I don't want to be asked personal questions on my wall TYVM!

Luckliy we all have the ability to delete these posts from our walls!

These are the things that concern me more than my birthday.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good points, @JustJazzmom.   I've never had "location" turned on.   When the "check-ins" began  on Facebook, I had a hard time believing people really wanted to display their locations.  

And the posts/pix about leaving town, or displays of all their valuables used to be called "please rob me" syndrome.  

As for posting on someone's Timeline, there are controls to prohibit that, or to allow it but only after we're notified and approve the post to show up.

I was thinking of something else:   there's an algorithm that takes a person's name, date of and place of birth, and can determine some accurate SSNs (or at least identifying parts of SSNs, like the last 4).  

I understand and agree that many people do try to keep their data secure on Facebook, and yes there are public records out there, but there's a reason more and more criminals have turned to Facebook to harvest usable information.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

The funeral/wake thing actually happened to someone I know! A mutual acquaintance posted the info for all to see! Some of us had to tell her to remove it! Some people don't think before they post or what the ramifications will be.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The funeral/wake thing actually happened to someone I know! A mutual acquaintance posted the info for all to see! Some of us had to tell her to remove it! Some people don't think before they post or what the ramifications will be.

I'm so glad you mentioned it, @JustJazzmom.  I think it illustrates how a thread like this can branch into so many facets of a topic that might be new info for some people.   Every time I read something like this I think...  "hmmm...  I need to walk through my settings again just to be sure something hasn't changed."   Good stuff.   Thanks, all.