Honored Contributor

Is there an average life of a car battery?

Our car was 2 years old in Oct. My husband just had an oil change and was told our battery was still in the yellow zone. Today the car  had a hard start and it was only  in the below freezing temps last night.

He is off to buy a new battery. I thought a battery should last about 3 years. Am I wrong about this

Our car is a Ford Fusion, not the hybrid one

Honored Contributor

Re: Is there an average life of a car battery?

[ Edited ]

About five years says my mechanic.  On hybrids, it's a ten-year battery but when you have to replace it, it's at least a couple of thousand dollars on the hybrids.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They must have put a cheap battery in our car

Honored Contributor

My husband said 5 yrs too, when we had to replace one once.

Honored Contributor

@cherry, I thought it was about 3 yrs. also, but they don't make cars like they use to, so I guess you never can tell, your battery should be still under warrantly if you bought it new!

Honored Contributor

I go through batteries pretty fast because almost all my driving is short trips around the neighborhood and it doesn't fully charge.   That kind of driving is hard on a battery. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

Our car was 2 years old in Oct. My husband just had an oil change and was told our battery was still in the yellow zone. Today the car  had a hard start and it was only  in the below freezing temps last night.

He is off to buy a new battery. I thought a battery should last about 3 years. Am I wrong about this

Our car is a Ford Fusion, not the hybrid one

@cherry  I hope he's taking it to the dealer. They should  replace it for free under the three-year warranty. It should have lasted longer than that. I would insist.

Honored Contributor

Ours always last at least 5 yrs...

Trusted Contributor

I bought my car May 2009, I needed to buy a new battery January 2016.

Honored Contributor

It depends to a certain extent on how the car is driven and the weather where you live.

Anyone who lives where it's in the 30s or below during the winter, that's an extra drain on a battery over time. There is also something mechanics call "parasitic drain" - something isn't "shutting off" after you shut off the engine and the battery keeps draining. 

There might be an Alternator issue, loose connection/bad wire.

If you google "car battery drain" you'll see these issues mentioned repeatedly. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all