Respected Contributor

Re: Is there a case or event in history...

What a great topic !  Loved the replies, facisinating ....I would love to be on the Norwegian ship that brought my ancestors to this country and live with them during the early years. So many questions, so many hardships to overcome.  Love history 

Honored Contributor

The American Revolution.  I never tire of it and I've read many, many books on the topic. Also, George Washington.  He fascinates me.

Interestingly, if I were alive at the time, I'd probably be a Tory.  I hate conflicts of any kind.. and being the rule follower that I am, I'm pretty sure I'd be on the side of the king, lol.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

December 6,1917  It's hard to imagine the scope of the damage the explosion did to that port city and the resources it had in that frigid snowy winter.  The Boston area sent up a relief train to Halifax and in return the people of Nova Scotia  have a gracious tradition of sending Boston a Christmas Tree every year.  I make an excursion to see it every season as it truely is worthy of remembering the connection and history behind it all.  

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

that you could read about or watch videos about over and over again?  

Not necessarily an OBSESSION, but a limitless interest in this topic?

Anything from the period surrounding the American Revolution. Fact or fiction, I love it all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, Custer's Last Stand, and Roswell. (Thanks previos mentioner!)

I did like the series on THE MEN WHO MADE AMERICA. Terribly interesting.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

The American Revolution.  I never tire of it and I've read many, many books on the topic. Also, George Washington.  He fascinates me.

Interestingly, if I were alive at the time, I'd probably be a Tory.  I hate conflicts of any kind.. and being the rule follower that I am, I'm pretty sure I'd be on the side of the king, lol.

@house_cat

I don't like conflict either.  That said, I sometimes have a problem with authority so I would have been on the 'American' side. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Wow!  It's interesting to see how many of you are war buffs!

Honored Contributor

For me it's Percy Fawcett.  Those of you who don't know who he was, he was the real life inspiration of Indiana Jones.  His last exploration.  You will be hearing of him now.  New film coming out  The Lost City of Z.  Don't have to give spoilers.  Just google him.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, hands down,  it's the PBS series Eyes on the Prize - Civil Rights Years 1954-1965.

"Tells the definitive story of the civil rights era from the point of view of ordinary people ... that changed American life ..."   I never tire of watching this series.  

I knew first hand some of the events and many of the participants of this struggle. 

Valued Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

surfk,   if we were sitting around the cabin in the night forest drinking wine both of us could talk most of the night away.   And it matters not about who is right or wrong because both of us are right in solving life.   It would be fun to toss ideas around.

I understand we are talking about events in history.... topic... and I was offering ideas that we are doing things backwards and not advanceing forward.  I do hate to drag around the past in all things.   Life is a drag rehashing the same old bad thing that happened years ago.   Such a bore even.   Some are living their life on reruns.   Darn I hate to watch rerun movies.  Why live it?  

I guess history and events in history is why the masses stay upset all the time.   Somehow they need to focus upon their own future of something neat about to happen and they made it happen.  Give their self the power to make their own life great and give them flowers and say nice things about them where they get to hear the nice things because they are alive.   

Well, civilized people ought to be able to sit down with one another over a drink - and with a fire in the background - no matter if their opinions or attitudes about certain things differ.

Its this world in which we live today which seems to tell everyone to go to their corners and only come out swinging as to meet one's opponent.

Not everyone is one's opponent though. People who come to life and to others with a good heart or good intention are not opponents. They are people who usually can wind up teaching us more about ourselves than can anyone always in agreement with us.

I do think that people find comfort in what is known. And that generally relates to something of the past - as that is all that is(sorta-kinda) "known". Everything else is yet t happen or to unfold..and that can excite some people and yet it frightens or intimidates others.

A balance is probably the healthiest was to go when regarding the past, present and future though. You can learn so much and feel nourished by the past or wonderful memories and contributions made to one's life by those who might now long be dead. And the future can be exciting to think about...and important to plan for. Or it can be cause for unnecessary worry as its not yet happened.

We only have right now. And in the present or right now, more people than one think can get along with one another because, really, no matter beliefs or attitudes, we're all in the same boat at the same time in this journey of the universe. We all share more in that tiny reality than anything should be able to separate us.

Its like aliens. If they actually came...the entire world of humans would suddenly see itself as one. We'd all suddenly see the humanity in everyone or every earthling. So while a scary thought to some...it would maybe actually be the key to resolving racial, ethnic and sexist conflict. 'Never know (since it hasn't happened...yet).