Respected Contributor

Re: Is "hack" the new buzz or it word?

I've noticed it, too.  Everywhere everyone has a hack for something.  It took me a few times of hearing it to figure out what it meant, and I'm tired of hearing it already.

Regular Contributor

I hear it all the time but have no idea what it means. Is it along the lines of tweeting? I googled and couldn't find anything. Will have to ask my niece or one of my young, hip coworkers! 

Honored Contributor

Cartoons always had cats with hairballs and it would say Hack above the picture. So I don't know?

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

I don't mind the buzz words but I don't use them myself.i am trying to stick to the language I learned so that it can be passed down to future generations.

Good luck with that.

Your generation doesn't speak the same way that your ancestors did in the 1800's, so it's only reasonable that your decendants won't speak the same way that you do today.

Woman Happy Heart

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's very new anymore, but yes, total buzzword and usually used incorrectly. Now most people are using it to describe even the easiest tips or tricks where you don't have to have or alter anything. 

It drives me crazy.

I just found this in a list of beauty 'hacks': Scrape out every last drop of foundation/bronzer/shimmer before you have to schelp out to the store again. No, that's not a hack, that is the simplest tip in the world. That's not even a tip, that's just good sense. That same list also includes:  If you want to make your flaky, clumpy mascara last longer, mix a little contact solution in. But if you’ve had it for longer than three months, toss no matter what. That's closer to an actual hack. You have to get in there and alter something and most people don't know about this. I'd still call it a tip or trick over a hack, though.

This is, to me, a real hack: using the top of a water bottle to turn a pack of chocolate chips into a resealable bag with a pouring spout. (It's also one I wouldn't bother with because I own a rubber band.)

use a milk, water or pop bottle to make a chocolate chip pour spout!:

Respected Contributor

Why not just let the water bottle dry out and transfer the chocolate chips to the bottle?  lol  :-)

Honored Contributor

Cook's Illustrated has a book out from America's Test Kitchen called " Kitchen Hacks". There are many useful and clever  kitchen tips, if anyone is interested.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Why not just let the water bottle dry out and transfer the chocolate chips to the bottle?  lol  :-)

Much better idea! But that wouldn't be a hack because it's too simple. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

"Hack" as it's being used pretty much everywhere nowadays is the accepted term for taking an idea from someone else and making that idea your own. 

Computers hackers are pretty much outright thieves, but I'm hearing hack used now by someone taking some expensive cosmetic product and figuring out a way to make a substitute with kitchen staples.  I get it -  just yesterday I used a "hack" of a professionally available exfoliators.  I added a bit of baking soda to my cleanser and did my AM cleanse.  With a bit of experimentation and care, it's going a very successful hack - and I didn't steal anything.

I love words, and finding a new use of an old word is just fine with me. 

Honored Contributor

MindBodyGreen.com had a couple talks about hacking.

Rich Roll did a talk in 2014, 

"Why You Shouldn't Hack Your Life"

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-14365/why-you-shouldnt-hack-your-life-rich-roll.html

Then last year there was a panel talking about body hacking & diets, etc.  Panel consisted of Rich Roll, Dave Asprey & Dr. Garth Davis.

"Body Hacking: Yay or Nay?"

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/revitalize/video/body-hacking-yay-or-nay

Both talks really focus on the word 'hack' in our everyday life...and especially with today's generation & today's mindset.

Worth watching.