Honored Contributor

Is "hack" the new buzz or it word?

[ Edited ]

I keep seeing this word every where now!  Hack this, hack that.  The new beauty "hack", the new food "hack", the new decorating "hack", etc., etc., etc.

I never really heard this word used before except in a kind of derogatory tone, such as someone is a hack.

Now, it seems to be a slang word for something which is posiive and a kind of quick and easier way to achieve something.  Is this correct?

Just wondering ...... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Is "hack" the new buzz or it word?

So stupid I agree.

Honored Contributor

What some of us think is stupid in this day and age is the same as the things our parents and grandparents thought were stupid when we were young!!   Life is constantly changing mostly for the good regardless what we think of it!

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

What some of us think is stupid in this day and age is the same as the things our parents and grandparents thought were stupid when we were young!!   Life is constantly changing mostly for the good regardless what we think of it!

I so agree.

Remember how our parents hated "groovy" and "far out"?

Each generation has it's own slang. One is no more stupid than the other.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I was just wondering.   Some of the words from my generation --- groovy and all that --- oh, my.  Pretty bad.  LOL.  

But, do you hear people using the word "hack" in real life?  So far, I haven't.  Just on t.v. and on the internet.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Pook wrote:

I so agree.

Remember how our parents hated "groovy" and "far out"?

Each generation has it's own slang. One is no more stupid than the other.

I can dig it!  Like, I mean, you know?  LOL  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never heard hack used in that way. A beauty or food hack? No never. Edited to add, I have only heard "hack into a computer".

Honored Contributor

I don't mind the buzz words but I don't use them myself.i am trying to stick to the language I learned so that it can be passed down to future generations.

Contributor

@dex wrote:

I don't mind the buzz words but I don't use them myself.i am trying to stick to the language I learned so that it can be passed down to future generations.

Good luck with that! I totally agree with you but it doesnt seem to be working. Cultural references are disappearing, too.

Respected Contributor

I haven't heard the word hack recently and not in the way you're hearing it.  I don't like a lot of slang nowadays.