Honored Contributor

Re: Is it just me or do you have too much stuff??? How do you purge?

@pattypeep~

Oh thank you so much for telling me that!

I was kind of worried and know from everything I've read from you that you are a nice person! So I'm glad to read that.

I think that is great then, five boxes!

The hardest thing for me to get rid of is

kind of ridiculous-

Its nice boxes because they are hard to find and what if I move lol?!

My mother also never saw a box or wrapping paper she didn't love. So I guess its inherited. 

But one day when I went into my closet, they started falling on me! The closet is very small but I thought this is silly! They are causing more problems then it's worth. So I got rid of all of them, (there were about 5 or 6 and some small ones)

except for one with spaces for glasses, you know the kind you can get from a liquor store.

Now I seem to have accumulated some smaller ones again.

Yes this sounds insane lol! I also have a hard time not saving a nice gift bag, tissue wrapping paper-I fold it up lovingly and put it away, or any kind of bag or ribbon or nice piece of string. I must have been a cat in my past.Cat LOL

Just thinking about the ones I got rid of is making me wistful.Woman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio-

I just want to tell you that I thought that was the most beautiful post. It actually made me cry. I was really touched by it and I have a lot of the same sentiments, and I bet there are many who feel the same way.

I kind of don't want my kids to have to go through a lot but I also love the things I have.

I went thru all my father's for months and though I wouldn't save the amount or type of things he did, I felt this was something I was good at doing. I gave things to every part of our family that I thought they would appreciate-sent it to them if from other states.

I know my mother saves way more than I would but I also know she has to do things in her own time as far as what she wants to part with. It has to be a gentle process if possible.

And I think really , only when we are moving is it the easiest to get it done.

Then it's like that Dave Barry article where he starts out carefully wrapping and packing and labeling every china cup, every little thing and by the end he is packing trash, kitty litter, whats in the kitty litter haha! I can totally relate.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

Holy Cow, I have tons of stuff. I just MADE myself donate bags of bags of clothing that are too little for me and also outdated for my age (meaning too short, too teenagee).  It was hard because I loved that stuff. I still am looking at tons more clothing. And don't start me on the stuff in my garage.  Both sons have junk out there, we have stuff from their childhood, and I think some of their friends may have stored some stuff out there !!!.  Lord, help me.  I must get out there and clean out (with their help) before I am too old to do it. We moved here 23 yrs. ago and I just can't get my head around all the junk we have accumulated through those years.

I have also some to terms with the fact I am almost 66 years old and most of the stuff I will never use again.  I mean, how many more years do I have?  I would hate to have anyone come in and have to wade through the muddle of junk if I died.

Respected Contributor

I remember as a child carefully folding the used wrapping paper to reuse. I don't do that anymore but I do hang on to bags, ribbons and tissue paper. I am also facing a clean out and find it difficult to part with things. I know my kids don't want those school papers that I lovingly boxed, labeled and stored. Recycling is getting lots. Then I will look at other things. One small step.
Honored Contributor

What got me off the fence was an article I read about decluttering.  One point that spoke to me was about hanging on to stuf "just in case."  It was my light bulb moment.  

I had so much craft stuff, and dishes and glasses that I was holding on to "just in case" I ever had a dinner party.  I had a set of 24 champagne glasses that I bought for a NYE party in 1982.  I was saving them in case I ever had another party where I needed 24 champagne glasses.

Seriously.

I would say I pared down to about 50%.  

I've always been good about clothing, shoes and purses (one in, one out) and good about not keeping clothes that no longer fit (that was nother hard one, but WW cured me of that).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I read all of Don Aslett's books on clutter back in the early 90's. I don't have clutter because of the advice he gave. When we had to move a few years ago, I had everything ready in a day. It was funny because when the rep for the movers came to give an estimate he asked me if I was a professional organizer. Those books I attribute to my enjoying a clutter free lifestyle.

Trusted Contributor

I have way too much "stuff" across the board.  I am an only child with no children. I am lucky that my mother is still here but one never knows how long any of us will be here.  Her NYC apartment is packed to the max - not a spot to be had.  My house is packed with both of our "stuff" since she comes to visit for extended periods of time. I have donation come at least 1 or 2 times a year to take clothing and other household items, but lack of free time has a way of getting in the way of me being my organized self these days.  Working full time and taking care of my mother, a house and my furbaby has become an all consuming job and I am lucky if I have a few spare minutes to myself these days.  I can't imagine if I had children too - although it may be easier knowing there would be someone after me - I hate that I will be left alone in this world with no family.  That is the hardest part of everything.

Honored Contributor

Several years ago when we wanted to sell our home...I dug in and weeded out every closet, drawer, cupboardetc.  It was a great feeling, When I opened drawers they were empty!

The house looked much better because I did not have a lot of stuff sitting around, it is homey buy not over done.

I sold Longaberger baskets, had a couple of garage sales and donated things.  I have only regretted a few things that I got rid of.

The house did not sell but I am glad that the job is done...I continue to go thru things but I did learn if I did not need it don't buy it!

I have always been good about not over buying, I limit myself to a certain number of containers for seasonal decor...and if I want something new, I have to get rid of something.

My disposable income is not what it was 15 years ago...health care is taking a huge chunk so I don't buy much these days unless I love it, I also think part of it is age...I am not old but I am 61, I like what I have, my house looks nice and I have no deisre to add much of anything to what I already have, unless something needs 'refreshed'.

Honored Contributor

I feel if I want or need to use an item and I can open a door or pull out a drawer and find it on the first try - that I have just the right amount of stuff. I have only on very rare occasions ever said I was sorry I got rid of something and wish I had it back. On the other hand I do find it irritating when drawers/cabinets and cupboards are untidy messes or I can't find something I know I own and have in this house somewhere. 

I am now at the point where before I buy anything I ask myself where it will go in the house. If I don't have available space to put it away - I don't buy it.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

No, I'm very much a minimalist. I'm obsessed with emptiness. I like to purge way too much...LOL!Woman LOL

@SilleeMee I am too!

I think I am the only one this looks normal to.Smiley Very Happy

image.png