Honored Contributor

Re: Is it just me or do you have too much stuff??? How do you purge?

That's the thing, when you have stuff that is valuable for one reason or another.

I don't have family so my stuff is mostly valuable stuff, or it's little stuff that I never got to have as a kid so I have some of those things now and just seing them makes me smile.   I don't have piles anywhere or anything like that, but I guess what stops me is that none of the space of my house is impeded by the 'stuff' I have, so I don't really take it seriously.

If I were to just be 100% analytical, there is a fair amount of stuff I could let go.  *sigh*

Respected Contributor

You are not alone! I watch the Hoarders, and read anti-clutter books.

I am blessed that I live with an anti-clutter maniac, so 

after 40 years I've gotten a lot better.

Honored Contributor

The stuff I have too much of is DH's fault.  LOL  He is not a thrower outer and I am.  I do get rid of stuff if he's gone for a weekend.  He never even misses it.

My DH is a musician and the equipment he has is staggering.  He won't get rid of any of it.  And then there are the tools.  That's what I have too much of.  

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  Yes, and those tools take up a lot more room than our jewelry does!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I talked about this in another thread several weeks back.

That's why I'm currently boxing up all the extra "stuff" and sending it to a local auction in March.  Just going to try out a few things and see how it goes.  I will continue to box and bag until I feel it's down to a comfortable level.  What doesn't go to auction will go to our local thrift store.  I have two boxes in the back of my truck now and I've taken several boxes over the last few weeks.

However, DH has a 5 bay garage (built when we built our home).  One of those bays can hold a bus.  The amount of stuff he has makes me nervousWoman LOL

Need I say we probably have every cardboard box of every TV we've bought in the last 15 years?  Of course, there are the tools and tools and tools and so much equipment we could start a factory.

Told him that if he goes first, I'm giving first pick to his best friend, and auctioning off the rest.

Oh, and did I mention he cannot seem to let go of ANY of his old work trucks?  This past summer he final gave away one that had to be towed off the property.  It was ancient, but someone bought it.  He has given some away, but we still could start a used truck lot.

The ONLY thing that saves us is we live on 8 acres away from others and he keeps the outside relatively neat.   The inside of the garage drives me wild, but he will not clean it until he's ready, so....

Respected Contributor

I hate clutter and feel trapped if there's too much stuff surrounding me. Even so, I need to get rid of some stuff and I'm delving into the back of my closets to toss things that have been sitting in cartons for 5-10 years. I will feel really good and light after I do that.

OTOH, my mom is the opposite and surrounds herself with tons of stuff and I often think she has a hoarder mentality. I couldn't live like that, but she feels comfortable. The upside is that if you ever need anything... I mean anything at all.... you are sure to find it in her house. I have to admit, it's very convenient. 

Respected Contributor

Yes .... too much~!

Image result for picture of hoarders house

Honored Contributor

You wouldn't believe how little I have. That's how I like it.
Esteemed Contributor

We had too much stuff we acquired over 20 yrs. When we decided to sell our house and downsize, I got rid of everything. Anything we had that we didn't know we had, gone, anything we didn't use or need, gone. 

We've been at our new home a little over a year and I noticed I wasn't using certain pieces of clothing and I boxed it and took it to Salvation Army. I also stopped tucking mail here and there. I keep magazines a week or so and out they go. My sons room and guest room have nothing in the chest of drawers. He took his clothing to school with him and said get rid of the rest which I gladly did. I love it, even our garage is neat and in order. I don't even have one single item in the attic. 

Trusted Contributor

You wouldn't believe how much stuff we have to sell, and it will be sold.  I've given tens of thousands to various charities, but now I have to think of my future needs--renovate and sell or tear down and build.  

I use these three guidelines:  Is it sentimental, do I love it, or does it make me smile?  My only concern is getting more than pennies on the dollar when I sell.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.