Honored Contributor

Re: Is it just me or do you have too much stuff??? How do you purge?

@skuggles wrote:

@ShowMe A "Too Much Stuff" party .. I'm in. LOL

Well, having too much stuff is a good excuse to have a party to get rid of it.  That way it wouldn't be up to me to have it carted up the steps and out to a vehicle to get it someplace......lol

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@ShowMe  Or........maybe we all should get together and have the world's biggest garage sale!  Cat LOL

Shucks......believe someone would have to come here to get all that "stuff" upstairs to get it to where the "biggest" garage sale would be......  Oh, I've got it, I could serve drinks and snacks for those helping to get my "stuff" upstairs and out to a vehicle to drop it off.....

Honored Contributor

When we moved to Florida 6 years ago we purged a ton of stuff.Then this fall I spent 3 months going thru every cupboard, drawer and cabinet in this house getting rid of useless things we thought we'd need in Florida but don't need. Many winter clothes are gone! This is difficult on my DH who just has a difficult time letting go of everything.

Now it is so nice to look in cupboards and drawers and see empty space.

We were out to dinner with some pals who live year round in a camper and DH atually admitted that if it was up to him he would just keep buying more & more shelves to hold everything but , he is glad that I keep the clutter under control. Gee - I almost fainted.

Respected Contributor

@151949  Many years ago (when I was in my 20's) I lived in a mobile home park here in NE Ohio.  There was an older retired couple (probably late 60's) who lived year round in their camper.  They spent the summers in our park, and the winters in FL.  They just took down the awning, hooked it up to their pickup truck, and off they went.  He was still very strong and liked to do odd jobs to keep busy.  They were the happiest darned people I ever knew!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde Because we spend the summers in our camper in a campground where almost all the spots are used seasonally, we know many people who live in their campers and travel between Florida and Pitts. We have also met many people who have to constantly move to follow their job so they live 12 months in campers as well, some even with children. The school buses come to the gate at our campground to pick up & deliver the kids. It seemed odd at first but now I'm used to it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes! Too much stuff. Stuff I really no longer need. I have no family, no children to pass it it on to.   It is just hard to get rid of it.  And selling stuff is so difficult.  So it sits. 

Respected Contributor

@pggoody wrote:

It's time to purge, but  I have such a hard time parting with items of sentimental value.  I did take someone's advice and take pictures of some of the things I was wanting to hold on to. Then I donated .   That being said, I look around the house and ....AND OH MY, DO I HAVE WAY TOO MUCH STUFF!   And it is just not sentimental things but dishes,  lock and lock , kitchen and household gadgets, bedding , books, the garage icabinets are full, closets, linen cabinets and drawers are packed,.  And of course I have my stash of beauty products and clothes. There is always something newer or better to try.  If I need a roll of paper towels, tin foil, sandwich bags etc... There is always one or two waiting for me out in the garage. ( you know how it goes when you shop at big box stores!)   Everything is all very organized but it's time to purge/ donate and discipline myself to learn to buy as we need. 

@pggoody

I watch Hoarders.  Every time I see that show, I go through my stuff and purge!  One night, there was a lady who hoarded makeup.  After watching, I went through all my makeup and threw away all the things I don't use or are too old!!!  Quite a haul!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I'm very much a minimalist. I'm obsessed with emptiness. I like to purge way too much...LOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@2blonde - Are you near the Ohio/Pa border? We used to have a summer camp in Pa., on Lake Erie just 4 miles from the Ohio border. We would often go over to Conneaut or to Sheldon camp on lake Erie in N. Kingsville, Ohio.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

No, I'm very much a minimalist. I'm obsessed with emptiness. I like to purge way too much...LOL!Woman LOL

You must be my Mom reincarnated.