Honored Contributor

Re: Is it global warming or global cooling?

@cherry wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

Hey @ROMARY,

You forgot one major environmental contaminant, as stated by authorities. Cattle flatulence.

hckynut(john)

Not sure what they can do about that one any ideas?

@cherry

There are people working on it.  A tech company in Silicon Valley has been working on a meat replacement product for several years with the purpose of reducing the cow population by attrition.

They have produced an entirely plant based burger which just came out in two SF restaurants.  It sells out and is said to taste just like a meat burger.  It even "bleeds" in the same way meat does when cooking and eating.

Honored Contributor

'It's complicated'.   ........... So many things to think about these days. . . . .  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@3suwm5 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Lots/many/some people just don't care about gasoline prices, even when the prices were very high.  They 'still' sat/sit in their cars, engines running, texting.  Minimum ten or fifteen minutes, although many of us over here have seen them for 1/2 hour, more or less.  It's going to take most of us, as a society, to stop wasting energy on a daily basis. Remind ourselves, our adult children, our grandchildren, our neighbors, friends, etc.     It all begins with each of us as individuals.  So many things that we do that are counter-productive to our earth. 

@romary1  It would also take all the other countries in the world.  Good luck with that, they have other things on their minds.

@3suwm5

Um, no.  Other countries have been in meetings with each other and the US once a year for several years now about global warming and global warming only.

And they formed a coalition to work together, in fact they signed it.  That INCLUDES China who many thought would not agree to reduce toxins, but they did and they are working on it.

Honored Contributor

@Maudelyn wrote:

Is it possible to ignore the global environment but "fix our own environment"?

@Maudelyn No. 

And people are focused so much on the ice caps that they are sorely missing the big picture.

The environment is not encapsulated in one area; we have diminishing arable land and non-rechargeing aquifers that are drying out for starters.

Folks still think that that can continue to use/consume/abuse without consequence because they "won't be around" when the worst happens.

Newsflash: It already is underway and has been for a long time.

I could absolutely spit at such self-centered foolishness.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Contributor

@cherry

The best thing one can do for the environment is to go vegetarian, or vegan, or at least reduce your meat consumption. Beef is the worst for the environment. Poultry is better but still has a greater environmental impact than just giving it up entirely. This isn't just CO2, it's also water use, land use, and pollution. So even people who don't believe in climate change should see the benefits. Experts say that we will not be able to maintain our current animal product consumption and remain under 2 degrees C of warming.

@Noel7

The best vegetarian burger that is easily available on the market today is the Gardein ultimate beefless burger, which can be found in the frozen section of most supermarkets. It is very similar to beef. Gardein's products taste very similar to meat overall. My MIL, who is not vegetarian, tried the "turk'y cutlets" and said that she couldn't tell much difference between them and actual turkey. Beyond Meat is also very similar to meat although it is less easily available. I think in five years there will truly be no discernible difference. I'm just waiting for them to make a vegan steak that is like the real thing because that's the one meat item that I still have cravings for and haven't found an acceptable vegetarian substitute for.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dragthewaters wrote:

@cherry

The best thing one can do for the environment is to go vegetarian, or vegan, or at least reduce your meat consumption. Beef is the worst for the environment. Poultry is better but still has a greater environmental impact than just giving it up entirely. This isn't just CO2, it's also water use, land use, and pollution. So even people who don't believe in climate change should see the benefits. Experts say that we will not be able to maintain our current animal product consumption and remain under 2 degrees C of warming.

@Noel7

The best vegetarian burger that is easily available on the market today is the Gardein ultimate beefless burger, which can be found in the frozen section of most supermarkets. It is very similar to beef. Gardein's products taste very similar to meat overall. My MIL, who is not vegetarian, tried the "turk'y cutlets" and said that she couldn't tell much difference between them and actual turkey. Beyond Meat is also very similar to meat although it is less easily available. I think in five years there will truly be no discernible difference. I'm just waiting for them to make a vegan steak that is like the real thing because that's the one meat item that I still have cravings for and haven't found an acceptable vegetarian substitute for.

Hi @dragthewaters

I don't know if I've tried the "ultimate" garden burgers but I have tried many brands and flavors.  My latest favorite is Trader Joe's Quinoa Cowboy Veggie burger, love them!  I'd rather have that than a beef burger.

They have made a burger that reportedly tastes just like meat, surprisingly enough, it's made by a Silicon Valley tech company concerned with global warming and reducing the cow population.  They are testing it out now in two restaurants in San Francisco, one high end and the second more affordable.  They sell out whatever they get in, I've seen interviews and people love it and say it tastes just like beef.

What scares me is the fairly rapid change in ocean water temperature and the impact on sea life, we are seeing it here on the coast.  Our crab population has been contaminated on and off by toxic algae, and our baby seals are dying off beaching themselves because the mothers have to swim out to a greater distance for food.

Experts say if the oceans warm even more we will be in serious trouble.

Nice talking to you @dragthewaters

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@dragthewaters wrote:

@cherry

It ain't gonna happen. I hate lots of vegetables
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I'd like to try that meatless burger@Noel7.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/06/21/482322571/silicon-valley-s-bloody-plant-burger-smells...

Hi @tansy

Me, too!

Additional information, thanks to tansy Smiley Happy

Silicon Valley's Bloody Plant Burger Smells, Tastes And Sizzles Like Meat

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2016/06/16/impossible-foods-6_edited_custom-7dc5fbab4da8c072dcd7f800...

burger

Honored Contributor

The finished product:

burger