Honored Contributor

Re: Is it global warming or global cooling?

Hi again @Susan Louise đź™‚

You're right!  It's incredibly scary that some people continue to live on the edge of a cliff.   Some are still there in spite of their homes being declared unsafe and unfit to live in.  The photographs are almost unbelievable, the houses are teetering on a precipice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

You're right!  It's incredibly scary that some people continue to live on the edge of a cliff.   Some are still there in spite of their homes being declared unsafe and unfit to live in.  The photographs are almost unbelievable, the houses are teetering on a precipice.

@Noel7  Hi Smiley Happy

There are just some folks that are stubborn to a fault...and at that point, what can you do? Unfortunately, talking reason to these people is just off the table. I guess that's no different than folks staying in harms way during a hurricane.

I can understand some of their reasons....like looters after the storm, but if your house falls off the cliff, or your house is demolished during a hurricane, looters have nothing to take. One also cannot save a house or their belongings from either.

There are stubborn folks in all aspects of life...ie, hoarders...can't change them either...they don't want to give up, let go of, or throw out even a scrap of paper.

And when these folks are given some good advice, they only dig their heels in deeper to their beliefs...sad. 

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Noel7  Hi Smiley Happy

There are just some folks that are stubborn to a fault...and at that point, what can you do? Unfortunately, talking reason to these people is just off the table. I guess that's no different than folks staying in harms way during a hurricane.

I can understand some of their reasons....like looters after the storm, but if your house falls off the cliff, or your house is demolished during a hurricane, looters have nothing to take. One also cannot save a house or their belongings from either.

There are stubborn folks in all aspects of life...ie, hoarders...can't change them either...they don't want to give up, let go of, or throw out even a scrap of paper.

And when these folks are given some good advice, they only dig their heels in deeper to their beliefs...sad. 

@Susan Louise

I agree đź‘Ť

Valued Contributor

@debic wrote:

I've always been a conspiracy theorist on global warming. 

The more 'facts' they find, the more money in grants, etc. they get to continue to make up stuff as they go.

There have been ice ages before and maybe more.   I wasn't here for the first and won't be for the last.

Science saves lives, whether it's climate, medicine, geology, agriculture, or what have you.   In other parts of the world, prolonged, unprecedented droughts kill people and decimate the agriculture they depend on to live.  Crops don't grow, fish die in rivers due to lack of oxygen in extreme heat, ad nauseum.  This is not made up stuff.  Research must be done and funded to find ways to mitigate tragedies.  It's because of research and research grants that diseases are being cured and eradicated, and as a result our life expectancies are way longer than 45 years of age.  Without research and "facts" discovered from that research, most of us on here would have been dead a long time ago.  I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer not to live in the dark ages.

Honored Contributor

And, may I add, global warming is not a "theory."

Valued Contributor

Buying leather jackets, as an example, dyed in every color of the rainbow, from a country with absolutely no regard for pollution or human rights, is a huge problem for the environment.  When that purple dye goes into the water ways and the pollution spews from the factory stacks with no scrubbers, people a half a world away should be concerned.  I, for one, don't need or want a purple leather jacket.  My husband and I have made a commitment for the last several years not to buy things from that particular country which is the largest polluter in the world.  It's not easy, it's not inexpensive and it's very time consuming to find products made responsibly - but it is possible. 

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

Buying leather jackets, as an example, dyed in every color of the rainbow, from a country with absolutely no regard for pollution or human rights, is a huge problem for the environment.  When that purple dye goes into the water ways and the pollution spews from the factory stacks with no scrubbers, people a half a world away should be concerned.  I, for one, don't need or want a purple leather jacket.  My husband and I have made a commitment for the last several years not to buy things from that particular country which is the largest polluter in the world.  It's not easy, it's not inexpensive and it's very time consuming to find products made responsibly - but it is possible. 

My son worked in both India, and China, and he said the pollution is dreadful, and sickening

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 We're having the same problem with erosian here on the east coast as well.Woman Sad

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Lots/many/some people just don't care about gasoline prices, even when the prices were very high.  They 'still' sat/sit in their cars, engines running, texting.  Minimum ten or fifteen minutes, although many of us over here have seen them for 1/2 hour, more or less.  It's going to take most of us, as a society, to stop wasting energy on a daily basis. Remind ourselves, our adult children, our grandchildren, our neighbors, friends, etc.     It all begins with each of us as individuals.  So many things that we do that are counter-productive to our earth. 

@romary1  It would also take all the other countries in the world.  Good luck with that, they have other things on their minds.

@3suwm5

Um, no.  Other countries have been in meetings with each other and the US once a year for several years now about global warming and global warming only.

And they formed a coalition to work together, in fact they signed it.  That INCLUDES China who many thought would not agree to reduce toxins, but they did and they are working on it.

@Noel7  That would be good.  In the meantime, I'll chat about it in detail with my DH's expert friend.  About 39 years in contamination research, I can count on him giving me the REAL DEAL.  I'm very curious on his take.

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Lots/many/some people just don't care about gasoline prices, even when the prices were very high.  They 'still' sat/sit in their cars, engines running, texting.  Minimum ten or fifteen minutes, although many of us over here have seen them for 1/2 hour, more or less.  It's going to take most of us, as a society, to stop wasting energy on a daily basis. Remind ourselves, our adult children, our grandchildren, our neighbors, friends, etc.     It all begins with each of us as individuals.  So many things that we do that are counter-productive to our earth. 

@romary1  It would also take all the other countries in the world.  Good luck with that, they have other things on their minds.

@3suwm5

Um, no.  Other countries have been in meetings with each other and the US once a year for several years now about global warming and global warming only.

And they formed a coalition to work together, in fact they signed it.  That INCLUDES China who many thought would not agree to reduce toxins, but they did and they are working on it.

@Noel7  That would be good.  In the meantime, I'll chat about it in detail with my DH's expert friend.  About 39 years in contamination research, I can count on him giving me the REAL DEAL.  I'm very curious on his take.

@3suwm5

I'm not sure what you mean by a contamination expert or how that applies.  I know there are people in public health who deal with contamination.  Do you mean areas like pollution?

It will be interesting to hear about your conversation, but as an FYI there are numerous academic studies and research online, not only American, also.