Honored Contributor

Re: Is it global warming or global cooling?

@ROMARY wrote:

Dare I say that I've been saying 'cooling' for years. (With lots of dagger eyes toward me, lol.)  Of course, it depends on the area.   jmo   I'm also thinking that it's been a matter of extremes and unpredictabilities. 

@ROMARY and to others that lean toward your viewpoint...

I highly suggest reading info online when you have time about the polar ice caps and how fast they have been melting...even in just this past year it has been at a record rate.

Additionally, another eyebrow raising concern related to this issue is methane gas effecting the permafrost layer in the ground...

Here's a link if interested...

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/06/10/permafrost-greenhouse-gases-global-warming-465585.html

Honored Contributor

Vegetables give me gas.............(said in a joking, nice way).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Seriously, I've been thinking/saying that I don't think it's a good idea to purchase property near water (lakes, rivers, etc.) or sea level.  Better to be up on a somewhat higher hill.   Just in case.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Vegetables give me gas.............(said in a joking, nice way).

They give me the heebie jeebies. I hate all things like squash, zuchini, lots of greens, beets and the beat goes on. I just can't swallow the stuff

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Seriously, I've been thinking/saying that I don't think it's a good idea to purchase property near water (lakes, rivers, etc.) or sea level.  Better to be up on a somewhat higher hill.   Just in case.  

LOL @ROMARY 

I was just thinking  that if California were to snap off like a saltine into the ocean, it probably wouldn't be from global warming. More like it's on a major fault line! Thanks for the giggle! Smiley Happy

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jacie wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

LOL @ROMARY 

I was just thinking  that if California were to snap off like a saltine into the ocean, it probably wouldn't be from global warming. More like it's on a major fault line! Thanks for the giggle! Smiley Happy

@Jacie and @ROMARY  LOL...yes, that is also a big concern for folks in California. I read the latest news about the 'holding hands' fault lines a couple of days ago in the news...

http://www.livescience.com/56545-connected-faults-could-trigger-california-earthquakes.html

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/181611/20161009/new-fault-line-discovered-in-california-near-san-a...

Honored Contributor

Hi @Susan Louise

CA  breaking off and floating out to sea is a very old joke with no relation to reality.  Scientists have long said it could never happen.

However, we are already dealing with coastal erosion from higher ocean levels.  Pacifica CA is a good example of that happening.  Powerful increased waves have literally dug out rock and soil from under houses.  

Honored Contributor

This has been a nice thread, informative , funny,no nasty posts. We need to give ourselves a pat on the back

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise

Forgot to say, Love your hummingbird! Heart

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

Hi @Susan Louise

CA  breaking off and floating out to sea is a very old joke with no relation to reality.  Scientists have long said it could never happen.

However, we are already dealing with coastal erosion from higher ocean levels.  Pacifica CA is a good example of that happening.  Powerful increased waves have literally dug out rock and soil from under houses.  

@Noel7 and @Jacie  

Personally I don't believe that CA will become an island...LOL...and believe the scientists. I only highlighted Jacie's post above Smiley Happy

Yes, I believe about all the erosion...have seen many images of the coastline in the aftermath of most storms from WA, OR down through CA....very sad.

I just wish folks would wake up and not build their homes 'on the edge'...so to speak...whether it be along a beach or a cliff. It makes for no good common sense.

JMO Smiley Happy