Respected Contributor

Is it even possible to buy a car today without all the bells and whistles?

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just sell me a car that I will know how to work everything I do now.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is it even possible to buy a car today without all the bells and whistles?

@Big Sister wrote:

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just sell me a car that I will know how to work everything I do now.

what don't you like?

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

@Big Sister

LOL!  I hear ya! 

I don't know if that's possible!  Let me know if you do find one!

I bought a new car last year.  The salesmen went on and on about all the stuff about the phone technology, etc., and all the other stuff, and I was just like blanking out and I kept saying --- o.k., o.k, yeah, o.k. and I told him -- this is all great -- but I am not a techie person.  Don't have a smart phone, and all that, so he was just wasting his time and mine, but he was just on a roll.  I realize that this is important to a lot of people and having bluetooth, and wifi, and all the other stuff, but not me.  They could deduct a bunch of money from the list price for those of us who just don't care about these things!  

To me, I just want a nice, smooth riding, dependable car that will start every day and hopefully will be low maintenence!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

It depends what you consider bells and whistles?

Respected Contributor

ITA!  I was just saying this yesterday to someone.  Give me a solid car with electric windows and doors, seat warmer and cd and no computerized systems that can be overwritten by hackers. 

I don't use most of the bells and whistles anyway and I resent having to pay more for them. 

Honored Contributor

I so agree!!  I bought a new car last year and the salesman said he would set up my phone for hands free use.  I told him do not bother because I wasn't a person who had to use their phone constantly and if I were ever going to use mine in the car I more than likely would be broke down so I wouldn't  be driving and have the need for bluetooth.  He looked at me like I was strange!    It has 4 USB ports and two regular car charging ports.  Only need one of each.  I hate the hand controls on the steering wheel and I often hit one accidently and activate the voice command or change the channel.  Talk about distracted driving with all that stuff!!  For me not a convenience but a nuisance!  I do have to say I like the menu that shows what direction I'm going, temperature, tire pressure in each tire, estimated number of miles I can go with the gas I have, calculation of gas mileage and notifications when there is a system problem, etc.

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear  I'm sure I will forget to list some items I don't need,  but here goes:

I don't need or want:                                           I need or want:

remote key lock

Moon roofs                                                            CD player

"Cloth" seats

Leather Seats                                                       Electric windows

Blue Tooth

GPS

Phone system (if that is even offered)

I don't want to learn a whole new system just to drive to the neighborhood stores.  Maybe I just should stick with my 2009 car that's in great condition.

Honored Contributor

have to say that I love the rear view camera, that is the most useful thing

Honored Contributor

I think there's going to come a time in the lives of most of us where the "stripped" model of more than just cars does more than we as individuals may care about. AFAIC, cell phones and tablets are already going there for me. New models tout things I could care less about. 

But the trend to not even bother manufacturing totally stripped down models, and then to nickel and dime for every individual feature, has been on the wane for quite a few years already. They "just don't make em that way any more."

But technology doesn't move backwards. Just don't use what you don't want to use. In January, I got a new car for the first time since 2002. Even though I wanted the tech it came with, it took me months to slide into using it all; I finally do now, and finally fully appreciate it all - and I don't have "all" the bells & whistles. Just take your time; you don't have to learn it all, and/or use it all, right away if ever, if you don't want to. But it is going to be there - they're not going to leave it out.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

have to say that I love the rear view camera, that is the most useful thing

I like that too.

I still turn around and look, but it's an extra layer of protection, IMO