Honored Contributor

Re: Is it customary to have a baby shower for baby #2 ?

Forget those old rules.  Yes, it's perfectly ok to have a baby shower for baby #2, #3 and so forth and so on.  Although, I do find that showers  after that first big one tend to be smaller.  Except when there is a big gap between showers.  That last baby shower I attended was for my friend's daughter.  It was her third child but her children were 13 and 9.  So the shower was as big as you would expect for a first time baby.

Honored Contributor

@elruth wrote:

I have heard of a " sprinkle " shower when the 2nd baby is a different sex from the 1st baby.

Sprinkle....first time I heard that, but I like it.  

Respected Contributor

I don't feel compelled to attend every event I'm invited to

Unless I had a prior commitment or was out of town, I wouldn't pass up a baby shower.   They're such happy occasions 

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I have 4 children, though I had offers of a shower each time, after the first baby I suggested we all just go out to lunch or dinner together.

That was considerate but I think youmight have deprived your friends of the fun of shopping for baby things and making a diaper cake.  Showers whether they are baby showers or bridal showers aren't just gift giving events.  Showers are also an opportunity for women to shop, share and have a little fun with other women.   Subsequent showers are usually smaller than that first shower.  So, it all works out.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

I have 4 children, though I had offers of a shower each time, after the first baby I suggested we all just go out to lunch or dinner together.

That was considerate but I think youmight have deprived your friends of the fun of shopping for baby things and making a diaper cake.  Showers whether they are baby showers or bridal showers aren't just gift giving events.  Showers are also an opportunity for women to shop, share and have a little fun with other women.   Subsequent showers are usually smaller than that first shower.  So, it all works out.

I agree with both of you. My only input would be that a shower given for a bride or a mother to be (regardless of how many times the 'event' has occurred) is about that person, and their wishes should be honored. If they don't want a shower, those who would have been involved and feel deprived just have to move on and get over it.

When I was pregnant, I was 35, had a home, job, husband with a good job...we were pretty settled.

My mom wanted to throw a shower for me, and I was insistent she didn't do that. Most of my family and my husband's family at the time, had less (many significantly less) than we did. I didn't feel right putting them in a place to have to gift to us. 

After my son was born, several older relatives brought me very special handmade gifts and I was thrilled with that. I never wanted a wedding shower either, because I had owned a home for quite some time before marrying. I was very happy my mom respected my wishes both times.

Respected Contributor

I had a shower for both my first and second., It really wasn't about the gifts but about have the picktures and memories and cards in my seconds baby book. I wanted to have those memories for both.

Deb

Respected Contributor

@seaBreeze  While love babies are babies too, if there is an awkward social situation I send a small gift and my regrets.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

That was considerate but I think you might have deprived your friends of the fun of shopping for baby things and making a diaper cake.  Showers whether they are baby showers or bridal showers aren't just gift giving events.  Showers are also an opportunity for women to shop, share and have a little fun with other women.   Subsequent showers are usually smaller than that first shower.  So, it all works out.

@chrystaltree

I don't think any mom-to-be is somehow obligated to give women an excuse to shop and socialize.  She isn't "depriving" them of anything.    I would hate to be put in the position of having to endure a party I didn't want just because others wanted to have it.  Isn't pregnancy uncomfortable enough already?  JMO.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have gone to every bridal and baby shower that I have ever been invited to over the years (at least to the best of my memory, I have).  I have also given several showers and gladly.  I had a great time at each one.   

Even years ago it could get quite costly to throw a party. There's the invitations, cake, decorations, tablewear, decorations, games, etc.  In my family, I can never remember anyone even wanting more than one.  I have 18 cousins on just my Dad's side with all of them but 4 living just a few miles away.  We would be broke if everyone had a 2nd shower!  

This is off topic but just had to say something.  Our young neighbors had their first child.  I got to hold her in my arms for almost 40 minutes when she was just 2 days old about a week ago.  Oh my.  Nothing quite like that feeling!!!  It did my soul good.