Honored Contributor

Re: Is it customary to have a baby shower for baby #2 ?

I've never heard of this, and I have a huge family that are always right on top of any and all ways to gift grab it seems. I send an appropriate baby gift to a couple when a second - third -etc etc child is born, but I think a shower for every baby is way too much. Heck - my brother had 12 kids - I only gave them a shower for the first one.

Honored Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

I think there are some here who are confusing attending another baby shower with bringing a gift when visiting the mom/baby. There's a difference.

I agree. Brining mom or second baby a gift is a very nice thing to do. I agree that all new babies should be recognized, but the whole big blowout party is, in my opinion, not necessary, and does come off as kind of greedy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Things aren't the way they used to be, that's for sure.  Moms-to-be used to have their shower (usually hosted for them by their own mom or sisters) for the first one and then then they'd resuse much of it for the next one (or two), only needing to update with gender specific items if needed or a special outfit or two if the same gender.  Personally, I see a lot of these young people doing things so differently, planning their own showers and repeating for each new child.  Sorry, but I see that as wasteful and greedy - yes, the term gift grab fits.  JMHO

I agree with your post @JeanLouiseFinch.

Of course if people want to celebrate the impending birth of baby 2, 3, 4, or 5, then they should certainly do that.

Reveal parties are a big thing now, but my understanding is that it isn't a 'gifting' event.

But to hold full fledged showers for subsequent births does seem wasteful. We know a young mother who is having her second baby about two years after the first, and is all over Facebook looking for things like car seat, stroller etc. I want to know what happened to the stuff from the first. People just throw/give away thinking there will be new later, I guess.

Quite frankly with all the children's resale and thrift shops out there, I can't see needing brand new clothing for babies and toddlers at all. So many nice things out there for next to nothing.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Add that to your next RSVP!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really don't see anything wrong with having a baby shower for baby #2.  In fact, what if baby #1 is a girl and baby #2 is a boy?  The baby boy would need clothes for a boy, right? ............ p.s. I don't mean new cribs and new furniture.  I'm thinking of necessary items, including gender-specific clothes for the new baby.  Well, unless the baby is expected to be fairly recently after the first child arrived.  Then, the parents would need another crib for the newborn. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I think if you were not invited to the wedding but given an invitation to the baby shower you'd be a real sucker to hand over a gift for their newborns. 

I disagree with this totally. I hate going to weddings. I personally find them a total waste of good money. That is just my personal opinion, and I don't expect people to believe that way or forgo their weddings because I find the use of resources wasteful.

But a gift for a precious new life coming into the world (or a party to celebrate it) is, in my opinion, much more of a celebration than weddings for marriages that are over 50% destined to fail, tend to be more about showing off than beginning a life together these days. 

Respected Contributor

Times have changed.  I know too many people who have full showers for each baby and expect new cribs, high chairs, strollers and wardrobe for each and every baby whether the babies are months or years apart!  

Then when the babies are born welcome baby parties are had were everyone is expected to bring diapers!!

It never ends.....

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
Anyone experiencing such animosity about attending a baby shower should do everyone a favor and stay home.

I wish I could super like this post!  So many grumpy people in this world (and posting here, too).  If you have a problem with a happy event, like a baby shower, then don't go!  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Daisy wrote:

I think there are some here who are confusing attending another baby shower with bringing a gift when visiting the mom/baby. There's a difference.

I agree. Brining mom or second baby a gift is a very nice thing to do. I agree that all new babies should be recognized, but the whole big blowout party is, in my opinion, not necessary, and does come off as kind of greedy.

None of the showers I've been given, or attended, were what could be described a s "blowout parties"  We had some appetizers and drinks...no more thn 20 people at any of them, as I recall.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @september. How sad to harbor such hateful feelings toward one's friends, relatives and an innocent new life.

Can you imagine thinking you thought to be a "friend "having such thoughts about you and your baby or your grandchild?
Honored Contributor

Hey, I can beat you all - I got an invitation to a puppy shower! YEP, a girl I worked with who does not have children was getting a puppy so she decided to give herself a puppy shower. Several people we worked with attended and took gifts. Then the next year she  decided the puppy needed abrother so she got another one and was planning to have another shower but the girls at work said they would not go so she didn't. Anyway, I was in Florida so I responded  I wouldn't be there for the first puppy shower and forgot about it - well, I hear she was bad mouthing everyone who did not attend , including me, unless they sent a gift. I hear she also had a jar on the table at the shower where attendees could drop in money to help her pay for obedience school, this was over & above the gift they would have brought.