Honored Contributor

Re: Is it a boy or girl name

My four year old granddaughter's best friend is named River and she is girl.  Their two Dads have been best friends since Jr. High.  I still remember the day he moved in on our street way back when.  I love the name River and Rider.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

My son in law's father and I have the same name. The name is old english and was a common for a male.

We have that in our family too, except the name is Irish.  A male and a female with the same name.  One is in his 50's, and the other is in her 40's, so they were named awhile ago and not as part of any new "trend".

And this is off-topic, but this discussion reminded me that when I got engaged, my fiance's father and my family's DOG had the same name.  My parents invited his family over to meet and get acquainted, and it was all kinds of awkward.  :-)  (I ended up breaking off the engagement and we never got married, but not because of that.)  :-)

Speaking about unusual name stuff... My granddaughter has a very beautiful vintage girl's name.

Her paternal grandmother got a new kitten and gave her the same name as granddaughter.  Who in their right mind gives their cat the same name as their granddaughter?

My granddaughter was not too happy about it, but there was nothing she could do. She is too respectable to tell Grammy, she is off of her rocker.

Not so off the rocker.

I named my sister cats after my mom and her twin. No one named any kids after them, so I did!  My mom  died when I was 26 years old, but her twin lived many years after that. 

My aunt cracked up over my cats' names. 

Trusted Contributor

Names get crazier with every passing minute. Why do parent’s saddle their kids with such silly names? Who is going to take them seriously when they are older?
Esteemed Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:
Names get crazier with every passing minute. Why do parent’s saddle their kids with such silly names? Who is going to take them seriously when they are older?

Silly is a matter of opinion.  Lots of people love new and unusual names.  Many names that were popular in the past sound very odd now.  Names evolve, just like everything else.

And plenty of people with unusual names have been quite successful.

Respected Contributor

I have a first name that can be spelled with either a C or a K.    My parents chose the K spelling and throughout my life, I've received mail, notices, cards, etc with it spelled with a C.  

I have no idea why but that has always bothered me.   The funny thing is my name is an Irish name and the traditional way of spelling it is with a K.    I have no idea why so many people make it a C.   

That's why I agree with the poster who mentioned that using unusual variations in spelling your child's name might not be something that child will enjoy as they get older.  

Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

Silly is a matter of opinion.  Lots of people love new and unusual names.  Many names that were popular in the past sound very odd now.  Names evolve, just like everything else.

And plenty of people with unusual names have been quite successful.

Well, each to their own opinion.  When I worked for a pediatrician, there was a lady who named her son Axl Rose.  I guess celebrity wins out every time.  Names evolve because people make them up and that is the truth.    I think parents want to be as popular as there kids.  

Honored Contributor

Is rather be named River than Gertrude or Irving or Matilda or Hortence. Posters complain about crazy new names but I think some old names are awful.

My apologies to anyone named Gertrude, Irving, Matilda or Hortence.
Honored Contributor

I don't care for the name, but I'm sure it's unisex.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

My son in law's father and I have the same name. The name is old english and was a common for a male.

We have that in our family too, except the name is Irish.  A male and a female with the same name.  One is in his 50's, and the other is in her 40's, so they were named awhile ago and not as part of any new "trend".

And this is off-topic, but this discussion reminded me that when I got engaged, my fiance's father and my family's DOG had the same name.  My parents invited his family over to meet and get acquainted, and it was all kinds of awkward.  :-)  (I ended up breaking off the engagement and we never got married, but not because of that.)  :-)

Speaking about unusual name stuff... My granddaughter has a very beautiful vintage girl's name.

Her paternal grandmother got a new kitten and gave her the same name as granddaughter.  Who in their right mind gives their cat the same name as their granddaughter?

My granddaughter was not too happy about it, but there was nothing she could do. She is too respectable to tell Grammy, she is off of her rocker.

Not so off the rocker.

I named my sister cats after my mom and her twin. No one named any kids after them, so I did!  My mom  died when I was 26 years old, but her twin lived many years after that. 

My aunt cracked up over my cats' names. 

My granddaughter did not crack up with laughter over having a cat bearing her name.  She didn't like it and when asked if it bothered her, she said yes, but Grammy named her cat the name in question anyway.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When in doubt, just check your DNA. I do like most of the gender-neutral names...I just don’t think the weird ones are fair to the child who gets saddles with them. Like Mattress. Why would you name your baby boy Mattress?