Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is There An Age After Which Women Should Just Go With Their Gray Hair?

I stopped coloring at 64, a year after I retired.  As I travelled all over the world, it just to be too much of a pain.  I got rid of my red colored hair in 2 hair cuts by going very short during growing our period. Now it is a couple inches below my shoulders and I get it trimmed every couple of months.  I love it (cross between silver and gray) and DH loves it which is a plus.  Yes, I changed my makeup, the colors I wear and even my jewelry (no gold, just silver).  2 years ago I went to my 50th H.S. reunion; most ladies had gone gray and in my opinion looked way better than those who color, especially if they aren't careful of their roots.  What's way more aging than gray or white hair are those fuzzy perms some seniors favor; they are awful!

Trusted Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@sabra wrote:

Here's how I answered this question for myself.  My sister and I went to a wig store and tried on grey wigs and we can both say we definitely will not have gray hair!  My face was so washed out looking and it was horrible.  Guess I'll be coloring my hair forever.

The makeup you had on probably looks great with your present hair coloring; however, when you and your sister tried on the wigs, your makeup needed to be changed in order to avoid the " washed out look ".  Also, the color of the top you had on might not work with white hair.

My sister let her hair go white without adjusting her makeup and colors that were near her face:  she is definitely washed out.

Although I have a white streak on the forehead area which looks great with the colored dark hair, I plan on copying you and your sister's visit to a wig shop in the near future !!!

Good luck to you both !

Good suggestion.  However, I had no make up on - not even lipstick and didn't look washed out before the wig.  Maybe it's because I have an olive complextion.  It's possible if I did have make up on it would have looked a tad better.  We hadn't planned on going there - just was in the neighborhood and went on a whim so I wasn't dressed up at all.

Trusted Contributor

@culebra wrote:

Unless you have a beautiful color of gray which are few and far between, I would either go blond or dye your a hair.  Gray hair is generally quite aging.

VERY aging, IMO.

Respected Contributor

Re: I think you should do whatever you like. I've never dyed...

@DiAnne wrote:

@SuzieGarnet wrote:

I let my hair go "au natural" once and said, NO more.. it aged me so much and I looked so washed out.  My stylist is a wiz with natural coloring- wink wink wink- we do mine a light color and highlight with a lighter blonde and platinum so when my natural white starts showing, it isn't as noticeable. If you do color don't go dark, go lighter, that's what I've always been told.  Works for me!!  

Going lighter always looks better and less like shoe polish!  I went from dark auburn (natural color) dye to blonde.  I really did not like the blonde so  from there I grew it out to grey.  I think having a good hair cut is the key for grey hair not to look dowdy.  I wear it short and get it cut every three weeks. 

You are absolutely correct. To rock that grey hair you must have an up to date cut and wear clothes that are current.

Honored Contributor

Only if there is an "age" when women should only wear gray clothing.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

it is an individual decision and i won't ever have gray hair.  my stylist says it will be over her dead body!

Respected Contributor

I've never dyed or worn makeup.  I'm happy!

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness I live in an era where I can color my hair purple if I want to.

I'm going to be 70 years old this year.  Due to my vanity and lack of hair I often wear a wig when I go out.

I used to color it every few weeks but since I wear a wig and due to my health I have colored it in awhile.  However, I hope to go back and get it colored just for the heck of it.  Maybe I'll get it colored green.

My point is everyone should do what he or she wants to do.  Look, many of us have raised our children.  Many of us are widows so we don't have to give thoughts about whether or not our husbands will like (or) dislike our hair.

I feel like I've earned the right to do whatever in the heck I want to do.  I'm lucky because my 3 daughters (sometimes unwillingly) agree with me.  Ha!

Honored Contributor

It's not cut and dry when a woman should allow the world to see her gray hair. A lot depends on what image she wants to portray. Gray hair involves facing the aging process and in today's competitive work environment where youth is worshipped, it can be a difficult decision. Personally, I only care what looks best on me and will go gray after the age of 100. Whatever another woman does is her preogative.

Trusted Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

I've never dyed or worn makeup.  I'm happy!

Wow!  I can't imagine!