Honored Contributor

Re: Is QVC a healthy place for women?

Preds, Noel7, and others: Very cute, very nice. I was slightly joking! I'm always glad to see that parents are encouraging their kids/grandkids to 'save' mementos, sentimental items, instead of 'dumping' those items. Sometimes the 'de-cluttering' trend has gone too far. I'm very sentimental, and, hopefully, my family will keep and treasure many of my items. Way back when, we didn't have the scrapbooking classes, etc. of today. I'm always glad to see young adults/people slow down, reflect and ponder memories, etc. Have a relaxing hobby that will amount to 'something' later on in their lives.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I like beauty items. I don't like scrapbooking. HSN carries a lot of beauty items as well - they've branched out with Too Faced, Korres, and many other big name brands.

We like what we like and to each their own.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

I've 'run across' scrapbooking shows on HSN, and 'kind of' change the channel. But, for those folks who love to craft, it's wonderful. (A hundred years ago, I loved to craft, paint, sew etc. Lots of folks do. A very relaxing hobby.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I think what the OP was trying to say is, is it healthy for women to watch something that's constantly pushing the anti-aging stuff. You know, the whole, "wrinkles = ugly and nobody loves you or wants, you'll be so unhappy if you have even one laugh line on your face vs. no wrinkles = beautiful, flawless, everybody loves you, you'll win a new house and a new car!" kind of thing.

OP, it's true, QVC doesn't seem to show much variety these days. Lately it's been Mally, philosophy, Susan Graver, rinse and repeat.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

Beauty products are a big seller...doesn't matter if you're shopping online, going to CVS, or to the mall. I don't think QVC is to blame for that fact that women want to buy these products. They're meeting consumer demands.
Respected Contributor

True. Lately Mally and philosophy have been on.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

Self esteem aside... I'd just like to see more variety, and while that might well mean less beauty programming, it would also mean less computer programming, less kitchen programming, less home appliance programming, fewer mattresses and so on... QVC has narrowed their scope so much that if I still watched regularly I'd be able to do the presentations myself by now.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

QVC is fun...it's like dessert.

A little dessert makes life sweeter....but eat nothing except chocolate cake and ice cream and before too long, you'll get sick!

Trusted Contributor

I consider QVC to be the same as any other retail outlet. If I'm in the mood to shop, and they have something I might be interested in, I watch...or check them out online. If they're selling something I'm not interested in, I don't watch. Just the same as if I went into a B&M store and I didn't see anything I was interested in...I'd leave.

I used to use QVC as background noise, when I was busy around the house. But I'm not interested at all in the constant parade of cosmetics, so now I turn the TV off, if I'm not watching.

I don't think that QVC's focus on cosmetics is unhealthy. It's their business. I do think it's boring. It only becomes unhealthy if a viewer becomes obsessed with all of the stuff they are selling. But, then that's the particular viewer's issue, not QVC's.

I don't pay attention to those "beauty" gimmicks. I'm almost 56, use Dove beauty bar on my face, per my dermatologist. And, I've been using Retinal moisturizing cream on my face for years...$4/jar from Puritan's Pride. I've also stayed out of the sun most of my life. My skin is pretty much clear of wrinkles, except for the tiniest of crow's feet around my eyes and some slight lines in my forehead. I'm good with that, lol.

I used to really like the crafts shows on HSN, when they were a mix of all sorts of crafts. It was a nice diversion if I had time to sit and watch. And, I got a lot of good ideas, even if I didn't buy anything. Now, they are mostly about paper crafting and scrapbooking. I'm more into sewing, quilting and embroidery, so scrapbooking doesn't interest me. I have gotten some good prices on sewing supplies on the HSN website though.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

On 7/29/2014 Spunkyspouts said:

I was pondering tonight the enormous amount of time they devote to helping us with our lines and wrinkles and aging issues. Then I was thinking about HSN and how they offer things like sewing and crafts and actually just more in general. Although I love QVC primarily for jewelry, I have been a bit turned off by the major emphasis in the above subject matter.

I have been very blessed with my skin and I look much younger and I actually do not a wrinkle problem. But just the constant harping away at it and the huge price tags on these silly creams make it pretty obvious it's about $$$$. I think it is time for viewers to let them know that our aging is personal.

OF COURSE it's about money ...... as it is with any retailer, so why do you find this so surprising?

I have no interest in sewing and crafts, and if QVC offered them, I'd never watch. That's the key here ..... if you aren't interested, don't watch !!

As for the comment "our aging is personal", I LIKE learning about the new products out there, so please don't presume to speak for me. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}