Esteemed Contributor
it helps to have sane and educated parents who encourage creativity and learning. So yeah, nature and nurture.
Honored Contributor

Just a thought - is logical thinking the same thing as common sense?

Honored Contributor

I survived a Catholic education, the nuns had no teaching skills what so ever and we memorized everything. I think you are exposed to more views on everything in college, but they certainly don't teach you to be a critica or logicall thinker. In fact college is sink or swim, if you don't have your ducks in a row the profs are not setting them up for you. I think critical thinking comes from experience and age, if anyone is born with this skill more power to you.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Just a thought - is logical thinking the same thing as common sense?

I+++++++++++++

No, they are very different.  Logic is, in a way, mathematical.  Theorems, proofs, etc. 

Louis Carroll, the author, was a mathemitician and his writing was a study in logic and proofs, even though it did not seem to always make sense.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Re: Is Logical Thinking

[ Edited ]

Evelyn Fox Keller is the author of an interesting book on the origins in language itself, of the idea that there even is a separation between nature and nurture, The Mirage of a Space between Nature and Nurture. She challenges the idea that these two things are separate, and asserts that there is no place today to view these two things as a dichotomy. A better way of thinking informed by the latest science on genetics would be more coherent and end this kind of debate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skuggles wrote:

Evelyn Fox Keller is the author of an interesting book on the origins in language itself, of the idea that there even is a separation between nature and nurture, The Mirage of a Space between Nature and Nurture. She challenges the idea that these to things are separate, and asserts that there is no place today to view these two things as a dichotomy. A better way of thinking informed by the latest science on genetics would be more coherent and end this king of debate.

I like this very much.

It's similar to the Cartesian idea that everything was separate whereas now we know that everything is in relationship to everything else. 

Edited to correct "now" to "know" since it appeared my "k" was separated from my "now."  :-)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow. I stand by my original statement, even though stating my opinion based on my career experience and my logic seems to be a faux pas to some. Good to know, I guess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

nature or nurture?  Is it an innate ability or is it something that can be learned?

*********  My first thoughts upon reading this is both.  The word discernment keeps entering my mind.  I think some people are born very discerning....but does that make them more logical? Do you have to have discernment to be logical?

Trusted Contributor

Both to some degree, but my dad told me about the logic courses he had to take as an undergrad in engineering.

I think people have to want to look at something logically, and it takes effort because you can't slide by with what I call "shallow thinking."  People who are going to grad school but don't know who George Washington was aren't likely to be deep thinkers.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just to be on the safe side, it's always a good idea to guide the youngsters of elementary school age, giving them the opportunity to enjoy the accomplishment of their very own thought/thinking.  In other words, it feels good to 'think things out', so to speak.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).